Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Anybody have to return their Aura ?

It took me three days to notice the one dead pixel at the bottom right of my Aura. It was only noticeable when the light was on, and barely so. But of course once the eye catches it, it's hard to ignore.

Anyhow, just returned it to !indigo (very friendly, no hassles) and of course they were all out of the Espresso color, so I opted for the black, which is just fine.

Just curious how many will run across physical issues with their Aura that calls for a return.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Not yet, fingers crossed. I doubt the number of returns will be close to the Kindle Paperwhite. Hasn't everyone returned those about 4 times by now?
I don't look top carefully for problems-i don't want to find any. Like you say, once you see something it's hard to unsee it.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
It took me three days to notice the one dead pixel at the bottom right of my Aura. It was only noticeable when the light was on, and barely so. But of course once the eye catches it, it's hard to ignore.
Wow, you must have quite the eye to notice a dead pixel at that resolution!

Thankfully, I haven't had to return mine. I do have some issues with the system freezing up on some ePubs, which is strange since my Touch is fine and it seems to use the same firmware. But I'll probe into that later once I've added telnet support.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post

Anyhow, just returned it to !indigo (very friendly, no hassles) and of course they were all out of the Espresso color, so I opted for the black, which is just fine.

Just curious how many will run across physical issues with their Aura that calls for a return.
I too have a dead pixel on my Aura HD. I'm debating about what to do - my ordering experience with Kobo for the Aura left a bad taste in my mouth with respect to the ineptitude of their customer service. I haven't decided if I want the pain & aggravation of a return/exchange, and since I'm in the U.S. no telling how long it would take to get another one!!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Can I ask what you're seeing with the "dead pixels"? A dark spot, or a bright spot?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Mine has three very bright spots. Only one is very distracting.are
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
Fursty Ferret
Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I returned mine (or I will, when they get replacement stock) due to four distracting dead pixels. I'm not sure whether they're pixels or actually a flaw in the lightguide material, but once you see them...

Local W H Smiths is arranging for a replacement to be brought over (personally ferried by the manager on Thursday) since they're not sure when to expect more stock. Going from white to black, which is a bit annoying, but better than poo-brown. :-)
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
I returned mine (or I will, when they get replacement stock) due to four distracting dead pixels. I'm not sure whether they're pixels or actually a flaw in the lightguide material, but once you see them...
It sounds like a flaw in the lightguide. There were quite a few of these when the Glo first came out. There haven't been as many reports for the Aura HD.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Could the rumor be correct? This 300,000 screens were made for NOOK Glowlight. There have been enough complaints about dead pixels at NOOK forum since launch, some occasional complaints in recent days.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Yeah, mine was a single bright spot too. I've never had an issue with any device before so I just presumed it was "dead pixel". It was only noticeable when the light was on.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Could the rumor be correct? This 300,000 screens were made for NOOK Glowlight. There have been enough complaints about dead pixels at NOOK forum since launch, some occasional complaints in recent days.
From the information I've seen from eInk, they assemble the entire screen unit (eInk, frontlight and IR touch) for the Aura and that the HD screen is available to anyone who want to purchase thousands of them.

As for the rumour that B&N passed on the initial production run, so far no one has supplied anything other than the usual rumour quoting rumour information so, at this time, I'd assign the same reliability to that rumour as the one about alligators in the New York city sewer system.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Sameer has gone on record as saying the rumour is false. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=18
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
A Kobo rep who posted here on MR dispelled the rumor once and for all and said Kobo had been developing the Aura HD for many months.

Edit: Oops - just saw the link above. Sorry.

Last edited by Skydog; 04-30-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Thank you for the link.
I read the whole thread. KOBO rep said something, but Nate also had his saying. It was interesting. KOBO rep didn't say they have exclusive right for this panel. I can't wait to see what Kindle and NOOK will have in this fall.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I find Nate's accusations a bit dubious. Sameer said they had the product in development for a year and was involved in the screen from the ground up. Which basically eliminates the possibility of Kobo just jumping on Nook passing up the screens.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote