Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #16
Starflux
Starflux began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite B024
Application Error

Hi, sorry if this is not the right place for this, I'm new to this forum.
I followed the steps to install the earlier update and I think it was successful.
However, I can't tell, and can't continue with the jailbreak process because I can't access the settings. When I try to access the settings through the menu on the home screen, I get a dialogue box saying
"Application Error
The selected application could not be started.
Please try again."
What have I done? And how do I fix this?
Thanks
Starflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflux View Post
Hi, sorry if this is not the right place for this, I'm new to this forum.
I followed the steps to install the earlier update and I think it was successful.
However, I can't tell, and can't continue with the jailbreak process because I can't access the settings. When I try to access the settings through the menu on the home screen, I get a dialogue box saying
"Application Error
The selected application could not be started.
Please try again."
What have I done? And how do I fix this?
Thanks
Where did you get the "earlier update" ?
Provide a link please.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2017, 11:21 PM   #18
Starflux
Starflux began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite B024
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Where did you get the "earlier update" ?
Provide a link please.
I followed all the steps in the OP
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...ndle_5.3.3.bin
This one, 5.3.3 judging by the filename

I actually just tried deleting everything off it and doing the process again.
It worked properly this time, but it was still kind of weird
Starflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflux View Post
I followed all the steps in the OP
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...ndle_5.3.3.bin
This one, 5.3.3 judging by the filename

I actually just tried deleting everything off it and doing the process again.
It worked properly this time, but it was still kind of weird
Your PC may have been set to "hide well known extensions" or some such "helpful" option setting.
Which in this case it was hiding something that you would have removed if you had seen it.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #20
thunderdome
thunderdome began at the beginning.

Device: pw 1
Hi, I want to JB my PW 1 but there is missing information about how to do the process.
I just clicked on "Kindle PW1 5.6.1.1 "(https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275881) and it opens this link than only shows how to donwgrade the firmware , but where are the next steps? (install the JB, update it, etc......)

Thanks for helping!!
thunderdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #21
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderdome View Post
Hi, I want to JB my PW 1 but there is missing information about how to do the process.
I just clicked on "Kindle PW1 5.6.1.1 "(https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275881) and it opens this link than only shows how to donwgrade the firmware , but where are the next steps? (install the JB, update it, etc......)

Thanks for helping!!
We put it where you are sure to miss it.

Find the sticky "Kindle jailbreak index"
Find link named: "Downgrade 5.6.1.1 to 5.3.3"
Click it
You are here
Do the procedure listed here
Return to index list
Question: What firmware version is your PW1 running now?
Find the link you just used in the index.
Make eyeballs ascend one line (not counting any blank lines).
Link is titled: "KT/PW1/PW2 5.0.x ... 5.4.4"
Compare title with answer to the question above.
(Hint: That is you now.)

I.E: "We have met the enemy and he is us."
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cc...jpg?imgmax=800

That is, you changed the firmware version in your Kindle but you did not change your mental task of: "jailbreak 5.6.1.1" to "jailbreak 5.3.3"
gotcha

Last edited by knc1; 06-26-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #22
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Jailbreaking 5.6.1.1. itself is possible...... And some TLS or SSL certs needed by Kindle are there in 5.6.1.1. only. You wont probably be getting an update after 5.6.1.1. @knc1's software jailbreak can do it.

EDIT: FOUND IT NOW THAT FACTORY DOWNGRADES DONT WORK ON PW1 Sorry, knc1

Last edited by baalajimaestro; 06-27-2017 at 01:52 AM.
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:00 PM   #23
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
Jailbreaking 5.6.1.1. itself is possible...... And some TLS or SSL certs needed by Kindle are there in 5.6.1.1. only. You wont probably be getting an update after 5.6.1.1.
Give complete instructions please.
That is very important. And are you ready to answer all the questions you will get?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:20 PM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

We do not have a factory, production line, image for the PW-1.

There where two builds of 5.6.1.1 - one for PW-1 and one for PW-3
Those devices have different SoC chips with different processors.

So just stick with the existing PW-1 directions -
Follow the downgrade process in this thread -
Then use the older 'universal jail break' to jb the PW-1 while running the 5.3.4 (there is a typo in the first post) -
Afterward you update the PW-1 to 5.6.1.1 and the jail break will survive.

Just ask someone who owns six of them.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #25
colourqueen
colourqueen began at the beginning.

Device: PRST1 & PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Afterward you update the PW-1 to 5.6.1.1 and the jail break will survive.

Just ask someone who owns six of them.
Hi - can anyone help?

I have just acquired a PW1 and I installed the screensaver hack via
1)downgraded to 5.3.3
2) applied jailbreak
3) installed python
4) installed ss file
5) created an empty cover file

It all worked great......

Then I applied the 5.6.1.1 software and I am back to square 1 - I cannot apply any files and it seems not to have held onto the jail break.

Has something changed?
colourqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #26
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourqueen View Post
Hi - can anyone help?

I have just acquired a PW1 and I installed the screensaver hack via
1)downgraded to 5.3.3
2) applied jailbreak
3) installed python
4) installed ss file
5) created an empty cover file

It all worked great......

Then I applied the 5.6.1.1 software and I am back to square 1 - I cannot apply any files and it seems not to have held onto the jail break.

Has something changed?
Nothing has changed.
Only the jail break survives, nothing else.

Repeat 3 .. 5

If you have trouble doing that, report back and we can figure out what is happening to your device.
You might have accidentally used something that was out-of-date.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #27
colourqueen

Thanks for the fast response. The python & ss folders are still there so I didn't think I needed to do anything. It won't install python again so I tried sending the uninstall bin but it is not picking that up either - no option to install.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #28
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks for the fast response. The python & ss folders are still there so I didn't think I needed to do anything. It won't install python again so I tried sending the uninstall bin but it is not picking that up either - no option to install.
Please give more details than "does not install".
Only 'broke' is not enough details to even give us a clue.

Post the MrPI log file after your attempt to install the python package and any error messages displayed on the screen.

Which Python package? Link please.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:09 AM   #29
colourqueen

Hmmm - I have not used MrPI - is that my error?

When I downgraded before to 5.3.3, I used the software from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=264432.
Then I followed the screensavers hack at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=195474 . This is where I got the python from - the file is attached to the bottom of that thread. I unpacked the zip and copied the bin onto the root of the kindle to install it. That is what I tried to do again now. I copied it onto the root and after ejecting and unplugging, there is no option to update.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #30
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hmmm - I have not used MrPI - is that my error?

When I downgraded before to 5.3.3, I used the software from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=264432.
Then I followed the screensavers hack at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=195474 . This is where I got the python from - the file is attached to the bottom of that thread. I unpacked the zip and copied the bin onto the root of the kindle to install it. That is what I tried to do again now. I copied it onto the root and after ejecting and unplugging, there is no option to update.
And in-between you upgraded from 5.3.x to 5.6.x firmware version.

You MUST use MrPI (Mobileread Package Installer) with any firmware version more recent than: 5.5.x ref:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=251143

You should have KUAL installed to launch MrPI, but you will want that anyway for the screensaver control menu.

You should also be using the most recent builds of all add-ins:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Tags
firmware downgrade, pw1 downgrade