Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #1
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
should I buy InkPad X?

Hi,

I'm trying to decide what to buy (or not), I have an iPad pro 11", I have the original Sony 13", I like reading with e-paper but I do also enjoy my iPad (I set it on dark mode when I read)

The thing that bother me with Sony after years of usage is no easy way to crop/zoom the content and no front-light, so I'm thinking of buying a new 10" reader with a front light, does it worth it? I don't want to use it as a note taker, I want to read PDFs and web pages, which one should I get
  • PocketBook InkPad X
  • Onyx Boox Note 2

the onyx note is 100 USD more, and I was wondering if it worth it.

Also, I like to ready in inverted mode (maybe a habit from iPad), does InkPad X reader do that?

Thanks for your help.
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:04 AM   #2
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Cyfranek turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by allochi View Post
Hi,

Also, I like to ready in inverted mode (maybe a habit from iPad), does InkPad X reader do that?

There is no inverted mode in PocketBooks, but You can install KOReader for such reading.
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Onyx includes the neoreader app which allows you to divide each page into sections and to change the direction of navigation. This software makes it possible to read comics and pdf even on a smaller screen. It is very good. However, it does not have a reverse night-mode.

You can install koreader which has a reverse mode (or any other app. Onyx is Android.) However, people have mixed results with Koreader on Onyx. Some people say it runs perfectly, others say it doesn't. The Koreader developers are very helpful and will help if Onyx users experience problems, but they must provide logs, etc.

I am an Onyx user, and I read PDF on a 7.8" effectively with the built in neoreader.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by allochi View Post
PocketBook InkPad X
Onyx Boox Note 2
I prefer Likebook Alita
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:41 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm in the same boat.

I'm leaning toward the Inkpad X, due to its being primarily an ebook reader. I have no need to use notes.

I'm interested in how effective it is with PDFs, epubs, and mobis.

I just want a large size screen, one that's light in the hands, and a joy to read on.

Does anyone have an Inkpad X and can comment on how it handles as a large-screen ebook and PDF reader?

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2020, 01:24 AM   #6
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grqBdJ86HWo&t=2324s

I was tempted but then I bought the color. Anyway here there is a very detailed review. There is also some other material in YT. And, if You re interested, is very easy to install KOReader in a Pocketbook.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:35 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:00 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, ps67 and Jon.

However, I've already scoured the internet for reviews, videos, etc. - in fact, anything I could find, so I was already familiar with the above. But thank you both.

Is there actually anyone who owns one, or has some hands-on info on this unit?

I like the idea that it's 87g lighter than the Boox Note 2. I also like the 'ribbed/grooved' back on the Inkpad X, one that looks similar to my Kobo Aura One and which gives the Kobo an excellent grip while reading.

I can tell you right now that the only reason I haven't yet bought it is due to the lengthy firmware updates. I would like to see some additional fine-tuning on this model's firmware. It's an ebook reader and that is exactly what I want from a 10.3 inch screen. Nothing more.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-05-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:00 AM   #9
pso33
pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad X
my Inkpad X experience

Hello,

Seeing more interest piled up here, let me document my knowledge of 4 month (base software + koreader mixed use):

Pros:
- lightweight
- battery: less than 1 week with PDFs, 3 weeks with internal software + eBooks
- reading experience, comparing to my Kobo H2o v2 7": much better to read (I'm above 40) ePubs, eye relief is good (hard to get back to the 7"). For PDFs, the 7" is just unusable compared to this screen! (returning to 7" is like reading through a small hole)
- 32 GB storage (it's a MUST, when you plan read PDFs - they can be large!!!)
- koreader runs...
- ghosting not disturbing (refresh every 6 page), unlike my Kobo 7" that has rather disturbing (in turn, kobo's update is not sluggish)

Cons:
- the device(screen?) is sluggish whenever have to update *ANYTHING* on the screen !! (here comes koreader, one of its biggest advantage to avoid these disasterous screen updates). Note that this sluggishness doesn't affect reading experience of normal text books with a few pictures (either pdf or ePub)
- koreader bugs (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329706), hopefully improving with time
- this device is fragile, ***forget about carrying it aways from home*** ! (you still need another smaller eReader for a "pocket" use) Hence, you don't need any case... (won't find, which is not a problem...)
- 2-core is not enoguh for complex PDFs (however, no delay with less complex PDFs - e.g. simple text + few normal pictures in them)
- dictionary software is a mess (doesn't do stemming, have to edit manually... koreader solves it better, in turn koreader dicts are small for my locale)

Cutting margins is still recommended at this screen size, you would need the 13.3" to read PDFs without tweaks.

It depends on type of PDF whether own software, or koreader is better (both software have their own strength/weakness)...

My triggering reason to buy this device was the covid/home office (no commuting, can use larger screen), and already had good experiences with koreader on kobo (now I see, koreader SHOULD be the default software for kobo, they work so perfect together...).
Was looking hard at the 10.3" Onyx (latest device), but I already own tablet (with pen) causing that functionality needless (and to be honest, after a tablet experience, those Onyx devices give me the "almost" feeling, so feared to buy), and battery is a typical mess with android in general (andoroid got fat during the past years, every of their release causing my tablet slower and slower - 8 CPU is a minimum for them).
Only the Onyx is a competitor in my local region (middle Europe), other brands very hard to get. Amazed kobo & kindle still missing this obvious need (10" is much more needed than color).

Summary:
- superior reading experience of ePubs (eye relief) over the smaller screens
- usable for PDFs, but need a very clever use (cut the margins)
pso33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:03 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

^

Thank you for your experience with the Inkpad X.

I see that NewEgg is now showing a slip-on (or slide-in) type of cover for the Inkpad X.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-05-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:49 AM   #11
pso33
pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad X
See the post by ezdiy:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...77#post4032277

All the koreader bugs with InkPad X have gone now!
(+ I have found some tweaks to get the koreader UI more responsive)
pso33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

^

I was concerned with the original firmware from the company, firmware that has not been updated in about 8-9 months!

The company needs to work on this issue.

Thank you, however, for the information.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:50 AM   #13
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it, I would like to know how functional is the web browser in InkPad X? when I owned an Onyx, I liked the idea that I can forward articles to the device and read them there.
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:23 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^

I was concerned with the original firmware from the company, firmware that has not been updated in about 8-9 months!

The company needs to work on this issue.

Thank you, however, for the information.
Pocketbook has said that the 6.x firmware for the Inkpad 3 is due out sometime in October. So I would guess that maybe the Inkpad X would be the same.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, Jon.

Interestingly, however, is that the Inkpad X is no longer listed on the company's website under SUPPORT [then click on 'Chose Your Device']. This does not bode well, in my opinion.

https://www.pocketbook-int.com/int/support