Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #46
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm trying to find out how this preference for sans serif came about given that pBooks used serif fonts long before there were eBooks.
For me it came about because once I had the choice, I realized that for me, sans serif is easier to read. I understand that others don't feel the same way, and rejoice in the fact that we all have the choice to read in the way that is most comfortable and pleasing to us.

What a wonderful world it is, that has books in it!

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:52 AM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Plex seemed a little too "squared off" for me — if that makes any sense. I also had to use it at a smaller font size than I normally use.
Slab serifs tend to have that look. I prefer transitional and Clarendon serifs.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #48
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
A similar change in taste/convention is that almost all of the books you get from Project Gutenberg (i.e., old and out of print) use Roman numerals for chapter numbers. Which to me looks pretentious.
Aren't they just preserving the numbering in the original book?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #49
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Aren't they just preserving the numbering in the original book?
Yes, and the style of the numbering. They also preserve the advertisements at the end of the book. All of that's fine; it's what they should do since they're an archive. What I meant by pretentious is that by today's conventions it strikes me that way.

Since I'm reformatting them for my personal use, and occasionally uploading here, I use the Rework Chapter Heads sigil plugin and change them to words, Twenty-three, etc. but for the TOC they have the word Chapter in front of the number, while in the book it's just the number words. It looked a bit bare and sparse without the word Chapter in the TOC.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:40 PM   #50
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Yes, and the style of the numbering. They also preserve the advertisements at the end of the book. All of that's fine; it's what they should do since they're an archive. What I meant by pretentious is that by today's conventions it strikes me that way.

Since I'm reformatting them for my personal use, and occasionally uploading here, I use the Rework Chapter Heads sigil plugin and change them to words, Twenty-three, etc. but for the TOC they have the word Chapter in front of the number, while in the book it's just the number words. It looked a bit bare and sparse without the word Chapter in the TOC.
Roman numerals for chapters never struck me as pretentious.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #51
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Roman numerals for chapters never struck me as pretentious.
I can see it seeming like that for books written in the last several decades, but can also see where it might be mood setting, but would prefer hindu-arabic numerals.

I read a pbook a few months ago with no chapter numbers or titles at all. That was a bit annoying, especially when I wanted to find something earlier in the book.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:23 PM   #52
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can see it seeming like that for books written in the last several decades, but can also see where it might be mood setting, but would prefer hindu-arabic numerals.
Numerals, as in 23, seem sort of cold and sterile to me compared to the friendlier Twenty-three. We're reading, not doing arithmetic.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:34 PM   #53
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
I read a pbook a few months ago with no chapter numbers or titles at all. That was a bit annoying, especially when I wanted to find something earlier in the book.
Even when they only have a chapter title I think it's better if they also have a chapter number.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:48 AM   #54
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
My preferences are not related to genres but to kind of file.

Bookerly is my preferred font for Epub (with some exploration of Literata and Georgia Pro).

For Kepub I currently use Roboto Slab (alternatives are Bitter and Lexia Dama).
And for Pocketbook Color a heavier version of Linux libertine until now (I received it yesterday).
Finally for Kindle Paperwhite: Bookerly (or Bitter)
ps67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:50 AM   #55
Camellia
She / Her
Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I use ChareInk exclusively.
Camellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:23 AM   #56
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Boring Bookerley here for Roman script, Mangal for devanagari, tempted to see what font Kobo uses for nastaliq, if I could buy it.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:38 PM   #57
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I can't switch fonts.

If I could, then for readability I'd use Andika for Roman and Cyrillic alphabets, Skeirs for Gothic. YMMV.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:39 PM   #58
Alex_Go
Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook Color, Sony PRS-T2
I like Century Schoolbook; and Calibri or Verdana if i feel like Sans... But I like to switch from time to time.
Alex_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:21 AM   #59
Simboubou
Connoisseur
Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I just use Times New Roman.

I tried reading in bookerly, Baskerville and a couple other, but I always found that Times had lesss wasted spaced on the horizontal axis.
Simboubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:41 PM   #60
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Gentium Book for material that utilizes the Latin Writing System.
Noto Sans _language_ for everything else.

They are decidedly not pretty, but I decided to convert everything to one font family, when I realized that one font designer's Final Nun looks exactly like another font designer's Vav, and that slowed down my reading speed by at least 100 wpm.

I'd prefer to read pretty fonts, but pretty and pan-Unicode seem to be mutually exclusive properties.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote