Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
jeffcb
jeffcb began at the beginning.

Device: none
EBook Creation Process 101

Post removed

Last edited by jeffcb; 09-20-2015 at 10:05 PM.
jeffcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
skreutzer
Inactive
skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
1) What's your source format? Is the content semantically encoded, ideally in some XML-based format instead of crappy Microsoft Word DOC/DOCX? If so, could there be a fair chance to automatically generate EPUBs from the source documents (if they share a set of document structure types)?
2) EPUB is mostly for offline (mobile) reading, for transferring packaged content from one place to another, and for archival. Of course there are other use cases as well, but as the EPUB format consists of little more than web documents in a zip container, those are the main characteristics in my opinion.
skreutzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you use DOCX properly, i.e. styles etc. then @Toxaris' MSWord Addin does a very nice job of exporting as EPUB where the experts can fine-tune as needed.
calibre's editor can also natively open DOCX and convert it to EPUB for editing and saving.

I do recommend that the people who know HTML+CSS clean up all the books, perhaps a division of labor would be appropriate.

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-06-2015 at 08:22 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jeffcb - have you browsed this ==>> MobileRead Wiki I suspect you'll find some of the answers in there.

Texts heavily laden with tables, sidebars, graphics etc often don't convert easily to ereader formats.

Liz Castro's books are worth reading, they're a bit inDesign and Apple centric, but they're a good place to start - and easy to read.

Added
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I do recommend that the people who know HTML+CSS clean up all the books, perhaps a division of labor would be appropriate.
- for me that would be not 'perhaps', but 'mandatory recommended'

Seems to me that making an ebook is as much of a craft as is making a paper book. And if anyone wants to argue its even more so, they'll get no arguments from me.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-06-2015 at 09:48 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Ah, but the winky is a modifier for the perhaps. IOW, we agree.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2015, 11:04 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcb View Post
Hi All,
I'm a member of a large university initiative focused on publishing resources developed by faculty openly through creative commons licenses. We've recently started looking into EPUB files as a way to create and distribute our content openly. There are several tools we're looking into (Calibre, Sigil, etc), but since we haven't worked with EPUB files before a primer would be greatly appreciated. In particular, I am looking for answers to several questions:
1) What software do you recommend for professionally editing EPUB files? While several members of our team do have HTML/CSS knowledge, it would be extremely advantageous if all of the work could be done solely in a WYSIWYG editor, assuming that this type of editor would be able to work with all of our content. As a large portion of our work comes from medical schools, we frequently use tables and images which we have embeded in our books.
2) What are some of the advantageous to using the EPUB format? Our goal is to make our content available in as many venues/stores/sites as possible in one goal. One of the reasons we started looking into EPUB is that we currently develop IBA (Ibooks Author) and MOBI/AZW files seperately. The process is time consuming and if EPUB allowed us a more direct route to reach both Amazon and Apple devices (as well as branch out to new potential partners) this would be extremely advantageous for us. Other formatting suggestions would be welcome.

tl/dr: If you were starting from 0, had a large number of books to publish regularly in doc and pdf files, needed an editor that could be used after relatively little training to produce professional ebooks, and wanted to hit as many devices and stores as possible in one straightforward system, what would you do?

Any help/walkthrus/links to other threads would be greatly appreciated!
Jeff:

You've already had some feedback from other folks here, but, heavens forfend I not stick my $.02 in. As background, I own a professional formatting company, that's done thousands of books.
  1. There's really no such thing as a WYSIWYG ePUB-maker. That's a mythological creature, up there with the unicorn.
  2. You didn't say what your source material is, as pointed out by someone else.
  3. Without knowing that, most of us are spinning our wheels.
  4. Assuming that your source material is in PAGES, you may have some limited options. I infer this because--for reasons that sorta elude me--you're using iBA, which is a really poor product for making books.
  5. And yes, I know that Mac fans will howl about that, but the garbage that iBA creates in the 99% of the iceberg that you CAN'T see, is horrific. It's like looking at Pages' underlying code--same thing. It looks good on the surface, but underneath--ye gods. Moreover, the output is limited to be sold on iBooks, which is a pretty notoriously small percentage of the eBook market, and a far, far smaller percent of the ePUB-reading market, most of whom are reading on Nooks, Kobos, Sonys, and the like.
  6. If you are using Pages, consider exporting the Pages content to ePUB, and then fixing that content using Sigil or Calibre's editor.
  7. If you are using Word, I second the suggestion that you try Toxaris' Word ePUBTools, but I'm unsure that this will work in a Mac Environment.
  8. I second the idea that you read Liz Castro's excellent book, "ePUB: Straight to the Point." Yes, it's outdated now, but it is very good on all the basics.
  9. I further recommend that you read Pablo's excellent tutorial, here in the MR Wiki, on making ePUBs.
  10. HOWEVER, all that being said, if I needed to make books in BOTH PDF (for print or ePDF?), and eBooks, I'd seriously consider biting the bullet and learning InDesign. You'll still have to know/learn how to tweak the ePUB output, but it would save you a crapload of repetitive work.

Looking forward to your answers about source materials, etc., to see what we can all do to assist you in your options.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #7
bernard.ryefield
Connoisseur
bernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Desktop, Kindle Desktop, Kobo Forma
Depending on your original format(s) and your workflow you could have a look at pandoc

Last edited by bernard.ryefield; 05-08-2015 at 06:58 AM.
bernard.ryefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
For many formats the Atlantis Word Processor is very clean at making ePub eBooks from several formats. There is a review in our wiki on this including what it won't do. For fancy things you will not find WYSIWIG tools.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #9
jeffcb
jeffcb began at the beginning.

Post removed

Last edited by jeffcb; 09-20-2015 at 10:05 PM.
jeffcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, PRS-T1
Be aware that the ePUB's created by Indesign can be a nightmare to maintain. InDesign is created and tuned for typography of printed work. Electronic books are a different beast all together. I really don't like ePUB's from Indesign and it can take me quite a while to clean them up. It is almost impossible to create good ebooks with a WYSIWYG program... You almost always need to dive into the code to ensure it works across multiple devices and the way you would like.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Be aware that the ePUB's created by Indesign can be a nightmare to maintain. InDesign is created and tuned for typography of printed work. Electronic books are a different beast all together. I really don't like ePUB's from Indesign and it can take me quite a while to clean them up. It is almost impossible to create good ebooks with a WYSIWYG program... You almost always need to dive into the code to ensure it works across multiple devices and the way you would like.
Tox, mon sweetie:

THAT is only true when the creator only pays attention to the print layout, and doesn't use the INDD tools correctly. You of all people know what the Word clean-up process is like--same thing, GIGO, right? I mean, if you get someone who blithely types along, in Word, using ad hoc styles, the output you get is HORRIFIC. BUT, if you were to have someone like me, who's learned to use Word properly, deploy styles correctly, yadda, the output would be nice and clean.

I concur that getting an INDD-output ePUB, and seeing "char-style-override-66" is enough to give me a stroke, but...

The same (as is true of Word) is true of INDD. Yes, it's geared for print, and you have to pay attention to things like setting absolute positions, on x-y axes. BUT, in terms of needing multiple outputs, INCLUDING print, and having a bunch of academics who will also likely be editing away madly, really...I think INDD is their best bet. We use it, y'know, for our POD Combo packages. We wouldn't use it, JUST to make eBooks (that's crazy talk), but if I were in this chap's shoes, and needed print as well as the rest, yes, that's what I'd do. Word/other source material --> to INDD --> to ePUB. Clean up the ePUB (deploy your skilled HTML/CSS folks there), make it validate, and then build your mobi therewith. I think it's the best process, really, given that PDF's (either for print or ePDF) are required.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:17 AM   #12
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by skreutzer View Post
ideally in some XML-based format instead of crappy Microsoft Word DOC/DOCX?
DOCX is (zipped) XML
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:22 AM   #13
skreutzer
Inactive
skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubeus View Post
DOCX is (zipped) XML
Yes, and if one prints out the specification, it looks like this.
skreutzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreutzer View Post
Yes, and if one prints out the specification, it looks like this.
Yeah, Europeans bureaucrats do tend to be verbose, Standard ECMA-376

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #15
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
And what would be that fantastic xml format that isn't crappy, is wildly used, has an editor that people can easily use and is feature rich?
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote