Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
tapanta
tapanta began at the beginning.

Device: LibraH20
Nickel still scanning hidden Koreader folder

Hi all,

I have just installed Koreader, but Nickel still scans the hidden koreader folder and shows plenty of images in the home page.

I have added the required:
[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=\\.(?!kobo|adobe).*?

in the .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf file, before the first unplug after the koreader unzip. I can still see the line the in eReader.conf file (even if it is now moved of place within the file), so I definitely put it there!

I thought that the modification of the .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf was all that was required to prevent the scanning.

I am using Kobo Libre.

Any ideas?
tapanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
You'll also have to make sure Nickel *actually* triggers a scan for that to have any impact.

(So, if you tried to be cute and modified it at runtime in a shell while Nickel was running, and then just restarted the device, it won't do a thing).

Which is why the usual, recommended approach is doing it during a good old USBMS session, as *that* will trigger a scan on eject.

(If you have NickelMenu installed, a scan or a full_scan triggered that way *ought* to do the same, but I've never actually tried it myself to handle this very specific use-case).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that, once the scan takes, it will *delete* said stuff, so you'll have to reinstall custom stuff.

Also, the deletion will *not* happen during an "Importing content" screen, it'll happen "live", in Nickel, once it's resumed.

Which means you don't really have a surefire way of knowing when it's done, unless you remember your actual correct total book count, or you follow the syslog.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
tapanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You'll also have to make sure Nickel *actually* triggers a scan for that to have any impact.

(So, if you tried to be cute and modified it at runtime in a shell while Nickel was running, and then just restarted the device, it won't do a thing).

Which is why the usual, recommended approach is doing it during a good old USBMS session, as *that* will trigger a scan on eject.

(If you have NickelMenu installed, a scan or a full_scan triggered that way *ought* to do the same, but I've never actually tried it myself to handle this very specific use-case).
Thanks a lot for the reply! I have modified the file using text editor from the PC while kobo was connected with the USB.. is this what you mean by USBMS session? or did I just do something extremely naive?

sorry for the question, I am just very new to this!
Old 10-21-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Then I'm going to assume that there's either a typo somewhere or a weird issue with the config file's syntax, somehow, or your OS threw a wrench in the proceedings.

Do try to force a rescan (ideally via NickelMenu), otherwise, use the OCP install script.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:34 AM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Is this some feature of more recent Kobo firmwares? A simple linux hidden file/folder, where it is named with a dot in front, was all that was needed to prevent nickel from scanning and trying to process those folders/files.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Ken Maltby: 4.17+.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #8
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
An alternative to this config file entry is my kobo-dotfile-hack mod, which I've recently rewritten to use NickelHook.

KoboRoot.tgz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The full_scan will do it.

Last edited by geek1011; 10-23-2020 at 11:36 AM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
tapanta

finally the reason behind this is the fact that I was running a 4.16 version of the firmware. Maybe adding the modification to the config file meant for the 4.17+ was forcing it to scan hidden folders instead?? sounds unlikely but from what I read 4.16 and onward would not scan hidden folders by default.. so not sure why it did that.

In any case updated FW and now it works fine.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Oh, yeah, the "scan all the things" behavior was originally implemented *without* the config option to control it, which came a few days/weeks later in another update.

(I, err, don't remember the exact versions, but, yeah, running up to date stuff is always recommended anyway ^^).