Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-26-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Need Help from Chinese Speakers

Sigil uses transifex for translations. I can handle and understand most of this except for the Chinese (zh) language codes. I see 3 codes instead of the expected 2.

I expected zh_CN to be simplified Chinese.
I expected zh_TW to be traditional Chinese.

All based on my searching and reading on websites.

But we have 3 zh related language codes on transifex for Sigil.

There are the expected ones:

zh_CN and zh_TW but there is also just a zh code with no region.

When I diff the translation files, it is clear that zh_CN and zh have very few differences and many are just whitespace differences, whereas zh_TW and zh seem to have many more differences.

So is zh different from zh_CN enough to warrant including a third translation for basically the same language. Sigil releases are already big downloads, and I do not want to include a language variant that is not significantly different from another.

So if zh_CN really represents simplified Chinese and zh_TW really represents traditional Chinese (ignoring regions and country boundary claims here) what does zh (no region code) bring to the table?

Thanks for any help here.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
When I diff the translation files, it is clear that zh_CN and zh have very few differences and many are just whitespace differences, whereas zh_TW and zh seem to have many more differences.
Don't know if you stumbled upon my topic from a few months ago:

"Should Chinese Fonts be Embedded in Ebooks?"

Many of the CJK languages use the same character, but display differently depending on the language/font:

Like 返 (U+8FD4) can be displayed 5 different ways:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S...Difference.svg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
So is zh different from zh_CN enough to warrant including a third translation for basically the same language. Sigil releases are already big downloads, and I do not want to include a language variant that is not significantly different from another.
Unsure, unsure. But in Post #8 of the above thread, I also linked to talks discussing common Asian-language bugs/issues within open source programs.

Also, "Source Han Sans" is one of the major CJK fonts designed by Adobe. They also have a lot of great documentation discussing many ins-and-outs and differences between the languages (punctuation alignment, etc. etc.).

https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-han-sans/

I haven't done too much research into it since then, and since I can't read/write any Asian languages, it all looks too similar to me (probably why so many "western" programs have so many Asian-rendering bugs!).

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-26-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, what I am comparing really has nothing to do with fonts. I compared the two different .ts files as utf-8 byte sequences.

I just need to know if/how "zh_CN" translation is different from just "zh" translation. The difference between zh_CN vs zh_TW is simplified versus traditional so that is understood.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:57 AM   #4
The_book
Connoisseur
The_book began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think, no. I think just combine zh and zh_CN is OK. It may have difference in meta, so may be needed in Default Language For Metadata, but for User Interface Language of Sigil, I think just remain zh_CN/zh_TW, or more exactly, zh-Hans/zh-Hant will be fine.

Last edited by The_book; 10-27-2020 at 07:08 AM.
The_book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
KevinH
Wizard

Thank You!
Old 10-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The only input I can offer is that I seem to vaguely remember some sort of dispute between two of Sigil's Transifex Chinese translation camps. I don't remember if it was these two or not. I could be way off base, though.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #7
KevinH
Wizard

Hope not. I really do not plan or want to bundle two versions of the same language, just because they can not agree.