Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-23-2020, 01:59 PM   #16
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I did a little testing myself, nothing extensive. Haven't come across any buggy/unexpected behaviours yet.

It'd be nice if the keyboard shortcut to switch focus to the tag browser was a toggle so it could also switch it back to the book list.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #17
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
It'd be nice if the keyboard shortcut to switch focus to the tag browser was a toggle so it could also switch it back to the book list.
I will see if I can do that.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #18
jpijper
Enthusiast
jpijper began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook HD3 (PB632)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I just remembered, a click on the tag browser that does a toggle won't leave the focus there for the same reason that return doesn't -- it does a search. Clicking on empty space should do it, as will any click that doesn't do a toggle.
Yes. In fact any item that you click in a collapsed tag tree triggers a search. Clicking on empty space works perfectly - why didn't I try that?
I have now set the T key as my shortcut for switching focus to the tag browser and am in tag browser heaven
jpijper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:53 PM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to all for your feedback. With your help I have found a problem where changing the focus to the tag browser while in the device view did something strange. It should do nothing, as the tag browser can't get the focus when in device view.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #20
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I did come across a Tag Browser bug, but not with the keyboard focus:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1901250
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Seems to be exactly what I ordered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I will see if I can do that.
That would be nice.

My only additional issues are:
  1. Give the topmost item focus when the shortcut is used.
  2. It is hard to see the current item if Windows Dark mode is set. In this screen shot the current item is Languages:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-10-24 085141.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	182957

Perhaps it could have the same contrast colour as the book list. If it was only used when the TB had focus, it would also act as signal that the TB has focus.
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:06 PM   #22
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
  1. Give the topmost item focus when the shortcut is used.
Do you mean when the shortcut is used the first time? There is currently a problem if the shortcut is used without ever having selected another node. Effectively the TB is given focus but no node is highlighted. Hitting the down arrow key selects the top node. Is this the problem you are referring to?
Old 10-24-2020, 05:38 AM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you mean when the shortcut is used the first time? There is currently a problem if the shortcut is used without ever having selected another node. Effectively the TB is given focus but no node is highlighted. Hitting the down arrow key selects the top node. Is this the problem you are referring to?
Yep

However, if the current node could be highlighted as per my number 2 it probably won't bother me if its not selected when TB gets kb focus; I'd know to hit down arrow.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-26-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@chaley - my Preferences->Look & Feel->Tag Browser->Allow the Tag browser to have keyboard focus is checked, and most the time I have the TB hidden.

I use a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+T) to show/hide the TB, to get into keyboard mode I have follow that with another keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+T). Would it be possible to enable keyboard mode when the Show/Hide TB keyboard shortcut is used, assuming the Preferences setting is checked of course.

BR
Old 10-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #25
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@chaley - my Preferences->Look & Feel->Tag Browser->Allow the Tag browser to have keyboard focus is checked, and most the time I have the TB hidden.

I use a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+T) to show/hide the TB, to get into keyboard mode I have follow that with another keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+T). Would it be possible to enable keyboard mode when the Show/Hide TB keyboard shortcut is used, assuming the Preferences setting is checked of course.

BR
I will look at this. I also need to look at what happens when a focused tag browser is hidden. Does the focus teturn correctly to the library view?
Old 10-26-2020, 05:31 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I will look at this. I also need to look at what happens when a focused tag browser is hidden. Does the focus return correctly to the library view?
Mine does

If I hide the TB while it has focus, and then show it without giving something else focus the TB comes back with focus.

But if I give something else focus (book list, search box etc) and then hide and show the TB, it doesn't get focus - it's in that sort of scenario I most want the TB to get keyboard focus automatically.

BR
Old 10-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #27
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If I hide the TB while it has focus, and then show it without giving something else focus the TB comes back with focus
Ahh, this is what I was afraid of. *Something* should have the focus when the tag browser is hidden. Otherwise hiding the tb requires another operation to (for example) focus the booklist. This tells me that hiding the tb should also do a change focus, which means the shortcut should be symmetric as should your ctrl-shift-T.

[Thanks for looking. I am currently unable to run calibre or look at the code.]
Old 10-27-2020, 12:13 AM   #28
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

If I close the TB, and press the menu key I get the context menu for whatever node was current.

I just discovered I was hitting my focus booklist shortcut semi-consciously, it's my go-to key when I lose track of where I am

Ideally focus should go back to where it was I guess, but first cell of current book should be okay too.

BR
Old 10-31-2020, 10:57 AM   #29
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

@BetterRed: turns out that the code to show/hide the tag browser is used in places where the focus shouldn't be transferred. Because of this I won't try to combine show/hide with the changing the focus.

Hiding the tb now transfers the focus to the books view. If the tb is displayed again and given the focus it goes to the top item.

The tb focus shortcut is now a toggle.

The focused item in the tb is now highlighted.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:38 PM   #30
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
@BetterRed: turns out that the code to show/hide the tag browser is used in places where the focus shouldn't be transferred. Because of this I won't try to combine show/hide with the changing the focus.

Hiding the tb now transfers the focus to the books view. If the tb is displayed again and given the focus it goes to the top item.

The tb focus shortcut is now a toggle.

The focused item in the tb is now highlighted.

Take care

BR