Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2023, 08:04 AM   #1
threejosh
threejosh began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW2, Kindle Fire 10
Looking for early PW2 firmware

I've been trying to downgrade my PW2 firmware so it avoids KFX downloads.
I've managed the jailbreak fine and have the KUAL / downgrader but for the life of me I can't get an early firmware to download using the link I found.

From what I can tell the first PW2 firmware was 5.4.0 and KFX support started on 5.6.5. So I just need a firmware version between those two.

While the firmware download link will give me some newer versions of firmware trying this gives no results:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...e_v2_5.4.0.bin

Any advice? Thanks!
-3j
threejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:25 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon appears to have blocked downloads for anything older than 5.8.2.1.

The last firmware version for that device before KFX support was added is 5.6.2.1. You should be able to find it elsewhere by Googling "update_kindle_paperwhite_v2_5.6.2.1.bin".
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:36 AM   #3
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
It seams that the oldest firmware bin that was uploaded to that "s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredownloads/" location on Amazon's servers is 5.8.2.1. And before that the server location used was "s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads". And that on that older location the oldest downloadable firmware version that had "update_kindle_paperwhite_v2" in its filename is 5.6.1. (and that firmware had bunch of "bugfix" releases so you probably should just download the last one: 5.6.1.0.6):

Code:
https:/s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/update_kindle_paperwhite_v2_5.6.1.0.6.bin
Older than that (= 5.4.x up to 5.4.5.1) it looks like they didn't use "update_kindle_paperwhite_v2_" in filenames but used "update_kindle_" for all Kindle models that existed at the time. So the earliest PW2 firmware would be 5.4.2 (5.4.0 was probably factory firmware for PW2 and was never uploaded to firmware servers).

Code:
So the oldest pre-5.6.1 firmware links is:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/update_kindle_5.4.2.bin

The newest pre-5.6.1 firmware link is:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/update_kindle_5.4.5.1.bin
So, pick your poison

Last edited by shamanNS; 01-21-2023 at 06:14 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 04:51 PM   #4
threejosh
threejosh began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW2, Kindle Fire 10
Thank you so much! Downloading the new firmware now
-3j
threejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:15 AM   #5
djrx
djrx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe (2022)
Do you happen to know what the oldest "newest" firmware I could downgrade to for a Kindle Paperwhite 1 that's currently on 4.6.1.1?

On 4.6.1.1, the PW1 downloads azw3+azw6 files that I cannot merge together. So now I'm hoping g that there's a firmware that I could use to send to the kindle and download an azw3 file without it also downloading the azw6 file.
djrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:41 AM   #6
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@djrx: Your PW1 is certainly not using firmware 4.6.1.1 (or any other v4.x firmware branch) it is using 5.6.1.1

IIRC PW1 is also the last Kindle model that can be downgraded (without being jailbreak-ed) by the simple trick of copying older firmware bin file and forcing a reboot before unplugging from PC, even when it is already on that latest 5.6.1.1 firmware.

Last edited by shamanNS; 01-25-2023 at 08:00 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, old firmware