Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 05:53 AM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Epub Preview in Windows File Explorer

I can't find anything to do this - anyone know of a shell extension to do it.

I found this ==>> xplorer² blog: search filter for EPUB ebooks

IMO it misrepresents itself. It's not a keyword search tool (i.e. on dc:subject), it's a content search tool via an iFilter. Unfortunately it doesn't display EPUB text in File Manager Preview, despite what it says on the tin.

FWIW - I just searched a folder of a 100K+ moderate length epubs for 'credit default swaps' in the blink of an eye. The results match those from a search of equivalent DOCXs with Windows and X1.

I mean Preview the text - not the covers.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-20-2017 at 05:55 AM. Reason: last para
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Oooops...yeah I was just about to respond to the preview covers option...that is doable. I haven't heard of anything that will open up a zipped folder and then preview specific files inside. That would require a program to actually open up the zip and then view....which is what sigil/calibre do.

Please let us know if you do find anything!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Oooops...yeah I was just about to respond to the preview covers option...that is doable. I haven't heard of anything that will open up a zipped folder and then preview specific files inside. That would require a program to actually open up the zip and then view....which is what sigil/calibre do.

Please let us know if you do find anything!
@Turtle1 - but surely you gotta open the zip and dig around to find the cover, sooo......

If I find anything I'll definitely post it here.

Previews are provided by Preview Handlers, which are often 'bundled' with the corresponding Search Filter. DOCX, and ODT are also rebadged zips and there are Preview Handlers for them

I'll poke around in Sumatra, which is where nikos (xplorer² dev) sourced the search filter, he may have missed something. His blog post tells of his travails in getting EPUB search going. The links he provided in his blog have led me to this, wherein there this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	160129

So near and yet so far.

Given Sigil and the calibre editor have preview windows maybe someone with requisite knowledge and skills can create a standalone EPUB File preview handler for Windows. See ==>> Building Preview Handlers (Windows)

Given Edge can read EPUBs you'd think MS would do it themselves, but they've never been good at joining dots. Gates & Ballmer silos are still liberally sprinkled across Redmond's vistas - sorry - that's awful

BR
Old 09-21-2020, 04:12 AM   #4
Kryz-El
Kryz-El began at the beginning.

This works for me on Win7

Download and install DjVu Shell Extension Pack
https://www.cuminas.jp/en/downloads/download?pid=5

Add the following registry entry

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.epub]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.epub\She llEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.epub\She llEx\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.epub\She llEx\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview]
@="{FFE2A43C-56B9-4bf5-9A79-CC6D4285608A}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.epub\She llEx\{e357fccd-a995-4576-b01f-234630154e96}]
@="{C7657C4A-9F68-40fa-A4DF-96BC08EB3551}"

no spaces in She llEx

Kryz-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:17 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I forgot about this thread, Macs have a Quicklook feature, there's similar tool for Windows in the MS store, to use you just tap spacebar. You have to add a plugin for epubs, its a bit rough & ready, but fast - it runs in the tray so its always just a tap away (if you're in File Explorer).

BR
Advert
Old 10-11-2021, 04:48 PM   #6
ianc
ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3
Tried Kryz-El's suggestion on Win10 X64 21H1 but no workie. Made sure all the reg keys and strings were added and restarted after installing DjVu, but nothing. Sigh...
ianc is offline   Reply With Quote