Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-02-2017, 06:16 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Playstore v8.4 prepares to begin selling audiobooks

"A new version of the Play Store is rolling out, but you're probably not going to see too many changes outside of a couple different banners here and there. However, a teardown of the APK does provide quite a bit more to look at. There are clues suggesting the Play Store will soon begin selling audiobooks ...."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11...-apk-teardown/

So, how will they be played on a mobile device? Google audio books that is, what app will you use?

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 11-02-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
"A new version of the Play Store is rolling out, but you're probably not going to see too many changes outside of a couple different banners here and there. However, a teardown of the APK does provide quite a bit more to look at. There are clues suggesting the Play Store will soon begin selling audiobooks ...."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11...-apk-teardown/

So, how will they be played on a mobile device? Google audio books that is, what app will you use?
Thanks, Lynx! I assume a dedicated app. My question is pricing; will it use the book-a-month model of Audible et. al.? How much? I'd love to see price wars in this market.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #3
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thanks, Lynx! I assume a dedicated app. My question is pricing; will it use the book-a-month model of Audible et. al.? How much? I'd love to see price wars in this market.
Price variations would be great, so let's hope google just doesn't want to gouge, eh.

I note the article mentioned that there isn't much choice re ebook listening apps, i'm not sure if that is the case, but some innovation in that area would be great too.

My podcasting app, Antenna Pod, is really ab fab, so an extension into ebook listening would fit the bill.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 11-02-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Separate question, how amenable would google audiobooks be to being played on any device? Is there an unbreakable lock in?
Old 11-02-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
They could build a player into the existing Play Books app. Kobo is doing this, Overdrive and other library apps do this.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Could be interesting. Wonder if Google might try to go after Amazon by doing something similar to Whispersync for Voice. Also wonder if the books will be locked away in the app (like AFAIK Nook audiobooks are) or if we'll be able to either download MP3's (ala Downpour) or access the files from within the device directories (ala Audiobooks.com & Kobo).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I note the article mentioned that there isn't much choice re ebook listening apps, i'm not sure if that is the case, but some innovation in that area would be great too.

My podcasting app, Antenna Pod, is really ab fab, so an extension into ebook listening would fit the bill.
I am an AntennaPod fan too. Only problem is keeping ahead of the podcasts I want to listen too :-).

There are a number of good audiobook players in the store for non-DRM audiobooks, and more from other apk sources. I used MortPlayer for years in my old Nokia Symbian days and continued using it in Android days too for some time, but in Android it is ad supported, not intrusive but I have not used it for some years so intrusiveness may have changed .

I have been using Smart Audiobook Player for some years now, for full version it is paid but is just a couple of dollars. It seems generally well regarded by others too.

Listen Audiobook Player was also quite nice when I was trying a few a while back, it is paid with a refund period if not liked - again just a couple of dollars.

Regarding DRM capable readers I can't really comment from my own experience, the book stores all offer their readers, of course, and Google may do the same? If required I just de-DRM to use my own choice of reader.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:10 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I hope the books are downloadable to my computer and without DRM. And while I don't care about the sync aspect of Amazon's Whispersync, I would love to see discounted prices for buying both the e-book and the audiobook.

I can live with app-specific downloads for borrowed books, but it's not acceptable for purchased books.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote