Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-27-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
Marg1780
Marg1780 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Question Apple Books not showing some ePub covers

For some of the books I load (via Dropbox) into Apple Books (and iBooks before it), all I see in my library is a generic auto-generated cover.

I have tried pulling the books into Sigil and just using it to redefine the cover image. That often solves the problem with books that haven't had a properly set-up cover, but sometimes it fails to correct the problem.

Can anyone point me at a list of "gotchas" with iBooks, or pass along other hints on what might be hanging it up?

Thanks in advance!
Marg1780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
Marg1780

Forgot to add...

I've tried loading the problem ePubs into KyBook 3, Bluefire Reader, Gerty, Marvin and Yomu, and the covers work perfectly well in all of them, so it seems to be a very specific iBooks/aBooks gotcha.
Advert
Old 06-29-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
From our iBooks wiki page under tips:
If the cover doesn't show up, you can open it in Sigil, browse to the "Images" folder, right click the image, select "Add Semantics" and choose "Cover".

DAle
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
Marg1780

(I answered this a day or so ago, but it hasn't posted so I'm trying again.) Thanks for the suggestion and link, but the info over there is a few revs of Sigil out of date. You can still do it manually if you want to but the easier way now is to use the "Add cover" function in the Tools menu. This sets up the cover image semantics and places your chosen image in a nice svg box.

That is usually my cure-all for cover image problems, but in these two cases it didn't help. In case the function had somehow failed, I did double-check everything I know about - the semantics and the meta line in the opf file - and it all looks normal, yet still no cover showing ONLY on iBooks. I think Apple has some kind of limiters on image size, too, but the failed cover images are smaller than other ones which work just fine.

I've tried to find a detailed list of Apple-specific gotchas, but had no luck so far. I am really-really puzzled.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:20 AM   #5
jayjam
jayjam began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
same problem here

Hi everyone,
I have the same problem, I updated to Catalina and then updated iPhone and iPad to the latest iOS and no cover art is showing on either iOS device. however it shows correctly in Catalina. Art showed correctly before the updates so I cannot identify where the problem is. Does anyone have a fix.
Thanks.
jay
jayjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2019, 05:36 AM   #6
Tony Tale
Tony Tale began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjam View Post
Hi everyone,
I have the same problem, I updated to Catalina and then updated iPhone and iPad to the latest iOS and no cover art is showing on either iOS device. however it shows correctly in Catalina. Art showed correctly before the updates so I cannot identify where the problem is. Does anyone have a fix.
Thanks.
jay
I'm in the exact same boat (same OS-es y todo). It's not the end of the world as I'm still able to read the epub books but I do much prefer to have a nicely placed cover art image for each title.

Please do let us know if anyone has a fix.
Tony Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
Thorkyle
Thorkyle began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Found this workaround

This works, takes a couple of steps, hopefully fixed at some point. Cheers.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250724684
Thorkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:10 AM   #8
jayjam
jayjam began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Thankyou Thorkyle for posting the fix just done the steps you described and it worked perfectly.
jayjam is offline   Reply With Quote