Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-27-2019, 04:25 AM   #31
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HbNledn View Post
Ereaders have been stuck on a very similar tech for years.
is there any new e-ink panel in the near future?
Are there recent developments on the color e-ink displays?
'Similar'? I suppose so, but not identical. The improvement from the original Kindle 1 display to the latest paperwhite display has been considerable - nearly double the resolution, better contrast ratio, faster refresh speeds, a touch screen and a front light.

But there's nothing significant for ereaders from E-Ink on the horizon. Mobius (flexible backplane) was their last innovation, and that's only been used in large (>9") displays so far as I know.

Low power display technology with colour has so far either disappointed (Mirasol, E-Ink's Triton) or has not made it out of the lab (Liquavista).

There is now CLEARInk, which looks promising, and claims it will be shipping in products next year. CLEARInk promises similar low power to E-Ink, but with better contrast, colour, and much faster switching speed.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:58 AM   #32
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

But there's nothing significant for ereaders from E-Ink on the horizon. Mobius (flexible backplane) was their last innovation, and that's only been used in large (>9") displays so far as I know.

From the Kobo website:

Quote:
... What’s more, Kobo Forma is the most durable eReader available with the introduction of Mobius® technology, which uses a flexible plastic layer within its display. ...
The Forma is an 8" reader. The reader itself is not flexible.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The Forma is an 8" reader. The reader itself is not flexible.
Thanks. And I've remembered that someone did use it in a small format ereader - the Wexler Flex One (now discontinued).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #34
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Fiat
My First reader (EZReade pocket pro 2010 ) had TTS with auto scroll.
The Authors called it a 'Performance" that violated their copyright permission (for book form rights only) ) and they took it out to avoid court costs fighting the claim.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #35
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I don't really see any major advances on ereaders. Minor software updates, maybe a larger unit. What more do you need from a dedicated ereader?

My minor improvement would be more options on how to organize your ebooks, especially when the account is shared by multiple family members. It's pretty clunky the way it is and while that partly may be how I understand how to use it, I see plenty of complaints from you folks who DO know how to use it.
Agreed.

I till want a bit more speed when it comes to page turns or browsing.

I like customization (screen features), would like to customize the home page and lock menu, and also am big on sorting/collections but find the way Kindles do it now tedious.

It would be nice to have convincing, well done color on e-ink technology someday.

Silly sounding, but I still prefer the headphone jack option along with bluetooth instead of bluetooth only, as long as the device can still be kept waterproof.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #36
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
My late sister had this problem. I got something like this for her and it worked fairly well with a touch screen. Didn't work at all with buttons. I used it recently after an injury left me bedridden for a couple of weeks and it worked well. There are lots of styles available of different things people have come up with. Etsy has quite a few as does Amazon. The origami covers work fine, but you have to raise it up several inches to read on your side. Worked pretty good just sitting it on my chest if I was lying on my back.
I use a Peeramid bookrest which does help with aching hands.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #37
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
My best guess is the next "improvement" will be to go near bezel-less to fit an ~ 8in screen in today's form factor.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:34 PM   #38
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm not particularly interested in colour, but would like to see flexible substrates in lower end readers.
if i could pick only one step forward this would be it.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:09 AM   #39
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
I generally prefer reading on my Kobos and Nooks but I bought a 32gb PW4 because I thought it would be handy to have one small, portable, waterproof ereader with all of my books on it, with the added bonus of being able to do global searches.

I was pretty disappointed to find that after you have a few thousand books on it the search is pretty much inoperable. I assume that Amazon thought all that space would only be used for picture books or audio books but I wish they'd provided enough processing power to search whatever you load onto it. If not, the least they could do would be to allow disabling the global indexing process because the more books you add the longer it takes to index each addition.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:35 AM   #40
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
The third (red) color for bigger eink screens, for better discerning and memorizing of the handwritten notes.

Last edited by Marinolino; 06-30-2019 at 03:20 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:43 AM   #41
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I generally prefer reading on my Kobos and Nooks but I bought a 32gb PW4 because I thought it would be handy to have one small, portable, waterproof ereader with all of my books on it, with the added bonus of being able to do global searches.

I was pretty disappointed to find that after you have a few thousand books on it the search is pretty much inoperable. I assume that Amazon thought all that space would only be used for picture books or audio books but I wish they'd provided enough processing power to search whatever you load onto it. If not, the least they could do would be to allow disabling the global indexing process because the more books you add the longer it takes to index each addition.
I agree with you. I didn't go for the larger one but I run into slowness issues as well and wish they'd update the processing power/speed of the paperwhite.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:28 AM   #42
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Better book management and hopefully EU forces makers to allow all local features without any initial registration. That's coercive and lack of collections on unregistered Kindle is petty. It suggests Collections aids Amazon profiling of users.

A phone with an eink screen on inside of the screen cover? A slight majority of people only read ebooks on phones. There was a Russian phone with eInk on the rear, which could display maps, e-tickets, instructions etc even if phone went flat or was turned off.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:37 PM   #43
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'd still like a smaller device than 6"... I mostly read in bed, lying down, and I cannot hold my kindle or kobo one-handed (arthritis). 5" would be almost perfect. Front lit of course. And not 4:3. I have come to prefer a longer device rather than squarish. Comes from reading on my phone a lot. None of this will ever happen of course. Seems like everyone wants to go even bigger with their screens.
If it is Rheumatoid Arthritis or Inflammation, pick you up some Moringa on Amazon. I put mine in capsules. I take four, 00 capsules of it a day, or you can just mix it in drinks/smoothies. It literally has taken me off pain meds and other crap that wasn't working. It needs to build up in the system so you can't miss a day. My pain went away(and stiffness, aches, etc) within 2 days. A friend of mine took 2 weeks but he was in seriously bad shape. My aunt noticed within a day. It is amazing, its nature, no side effect and works better than anything my doctor ever gave me and I told him so lol.

Back on Topic.
I want an 8" Ereader in color. The market has stagnated and that's a big part of why no one is excited over it anymore. Its tech, they are supposed to keep improving upon it. At least that is what most think. Why buy a new device when it is not much better than one from 6 years ago? Kindle came out in 2007 I think and Sony's was before that and we still don't have a color option.

Last edited by Synergi; 07-03-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #44
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There have been some color eReaders (based on ‘Triton’), but there were not enough people buying them to sustain a market. And they were, frankly, crap. And lately we are seeing the same story repeat itself (CLEARink): like the previous concepts, they say they are targeting the ‘educational market’, which presumably represents a set of users (children) who can be forced to read on devices with bad color, in numbers to sustain a production run to turn a profit, and possibly iterate until they can get willing consumers to purchase a better product in the future. I am not optimistic that they can succeed in developing a product any of us will actually want to use.

There is an educational market, but it is dominated by the likes of Google, Microsoft and Apple:

https://www.statista.com/chart/13383...s-by-platform/

If Apple is struggling, and even Amazon a non-entity, what hope does CLEARink have of succeeding?

Some day, with advances in nanotechnology, we’ll have a perfectly paper like display with great color, but it is probably 10 years out: after all, physics does not preclude such a thing. In the meantime, I recommend an iPad mini if you can afford one, and Fire if you cannot.

What I ask of my Paperwhite is that they add ‘immersion reading’ to it, even if that only involves synchronizing the audiobook narration with page turns, and without highlighting phrases etc. Other than that, it is perfect at what it does.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:11 PM   #45
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
I want an 8" Ereader in color. The market has stagnated and that's a big part of why no one is excited over it anymore. Its tech, they are supposed to keep improving upon it. At least that is what most think. Why buy a new device when it is not much better than one from 6 years ago? Kindle came out in 2007 I think and Sony's was before that and we still don't have a color option.
There have been multiple colour ereaders that have reached the market and disappeared without a trace. It would appear that most people don't see the need for colour when most of what is being read is black text on white (or white text on black for those who prefer).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-ink, ereaders, kindle, kobo