Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #33091
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Gas stations: if you are going to have pay at the pump, make sure that receipts at the pump are working and have paper.
Oh, yes! You can't tell me that with all of today's automation that those machines aren't notifying the staff inside the station that it's time to load a new roll of paper.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:40 PM   #33092
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
It's a pretty small space, no way to avoid her. I do my best to ignore and not add to the noise level.

I'll just have to make her mad at me again, that gets me a few hours of peace. Last time I told her it was a bunch of hooey that it's bad to wash your hair every day. I've done so for years and my hair's just fine. She can't stand it if someone disagrees with her.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2019, 08:55 PM   #33093
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
She can't stand it if someone disagrees with her.
Sounds like a direct challenge to me. Time for some head games.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:06 AM   #33094
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Sounds like a direct challenge to me. Time for some head games.
Yeah, I'm down with that. I mean...what the hell. Come up with some ways to torture her, with direct challenges--in the nicest possible way, of course--and start entertaining yourself with it, rather than suffering in irate silence.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:22 AM   #33095
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
It's a pretty small space, no way to avoid her. I do my best to ignore and not add to the noise level.

I'll just have to make her mad at me again, that gets me a few hours of peace. Last time I told her it was a bunch of hooey that it's bad to wash your hair every day. I've done so for years and my hair's just fine. She can't stand it if someone disagrees with her.
Headphones and good music are your friends, here. Really big, obvious headphones. (And if your job requires you to be on the phone a lot, make them ones with a good microphone and use them with your phone system. )

Preferably, these should be the noise isolating type. In the only time where I had to work in a "shared open office space" <shudder>, I found them the only salvation.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #33096
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Oh, yes! You can't tell me that with all of today's automation that those machines aren't notifying the staff inside the station that it's time to load a new roll of paper.
Most of the gas stations I go to have only one person at a time working. I suppose they have to wait for a break between the customers inside. But if all the customers from outside are coming inside to request a receipt, the cashier will never get outside to fix it.... catch 22

What I hate at gas station/convenience stores is when I go inside to buy one little thing, like a soft drink, and get stuck behind someone buying lottery tickets. I've never bought them myself so I don't understand what the issue is but apparently it takes a while.

And then there are the stations that broadcast loud music and/or commercials for the gas station....
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #33097
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
AT&T has the worst customer service there is. We are just finishing up the process of my 88 year old mom selling her house and moving to an apartment. She has a landline telephone, so we needed to get the service transferred. It took me 3 days, talking to a total of 5 people to get the transfer ordered. Because they couldn't find the account, because they were looking in the Uverse and DirecTV accounts. Even though I told each person multiple times I was talking about a landline account.

It took me 20 minutes to get the 3rd guy to understand that I was talking about a land line account. He asked for the account number, which in this case is the 10 digit phone number followed by 4 digits. He kept saying, "That isn't an account number, it sounds like a phone number." Finally he tells me that I've called the wrong number and need to talk to the TelCo division. I called the number on the phone bill. He transferred me...back to the regular phone support nonsense.

Then, on moving in day, the phones don't work. 4 days later someone finally shows up to repair the inside wall connections, and the outside wiring at the pole. It worked for an hour. Now we are back to not working again. I do have the repair tech's phone number, I left him a message, and he did call me back. I explained what a frustrating situation this is, (I know it is not his fault) and he bumped it up to a Forman.

My mom has a little pay as you go Tracfone, but only uses it to call her sister in another state. She really doesn't want a smart phone, or even a decent flip phone. She's almost 89, she just wants a working landline. She knows they are becoming scarce, and the cost is ridiculous now, $50 a month.

Selling the house and moving has been tough enough. This is just getting very old. She was supposed to have service on the 12th of July, and here we are 14 days after starting the process, 10 days after it supposed to be connected, still waiting.
Probably the people you are talking to are so young they've never actually used a landline and don't know what it is.........

I still have a landline at home even though I do have a smartphone. I like having both in case of an emergency. Also, the landline sound is clearer if I need to talk to my elderly mother who has difficulty hearing.

Fortunately the retirement community where my mother lives has someone on staff who can help the residents if they are having difficulties with the phone company.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #33098
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Headphones and good music are your friends, here. Really big, obvious headphones. (And if your job requires you to be on the phone a lot, make them ones with a good microphone and use them with your phone system. )

Preferably, these should be the noise isolating type. In the only time where I had to work in a "shared open office space" <shudder>, I found them the only salvation.
Well, it's certainly an idea. Noise-cancelling headsets are pretty great--I use them for air-travel. It's unfortunate that she's the one that's inconvenienced, not the yakker, but sometimes, I guess it's better than getting in trouble--which it seems like is what happens--if she confronts her.

Plus, as Charlie says, they'd be unmissable. Message here!!! :-)

Honestly, I'm a bit gobsmacked that the bosses seem to take her side. Is it so hard to find a decent worker nowadays? How can someone be doing their job if all they are doing is talking constantly? I should think that they'd be taking Hemmi's side, but maybe it's the CRYING. (Loathe that myself.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #33099
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Noise isolating or noise cancelling* headphones are a necessity in a noisy office. And big, obvious ones, preferably of some really obnoxious colour combination, are a nice big sign that says "Don't Bother Me!" in a way that can't be ignored. Plus, of course, you can't be accused of picking on someone by trying to shut them up. They can talk, you just aren't bothered by them.

Do make sure you try them on before you buy them. You want something you can wear for hours on end. Too tight or too loose? Find a different pair. Also, some people find that the noise cancelling ones, especially the less expensive versions, can be tiring with long wearing. Others have no issue.

*Noise isolating := big ear cups and solid bodies that block external sound. Generally blocks everything equally.
*Noise cancelling := active suppression of repetitive external noise(plane engine, highway drone, fan noise, etc.) by emitting a reverse sound wave to cancel out the incoming sound. These can be less successful for voice cancellation, so less useful in an office unless also noise isolating. Also, generally more expensive, but the best are very good indeed.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #33100
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Most of the gas stations I go to have only one person at a time working. I suppose they have to wait for a break between the customers inside. But if all the customers from outside are coming inside to request a receipt, the cashier will never get outside to fix it.... catch 22

Than get tech that warns you that there isn't enough paper for the shift. Or change all the paper at the beginning of a shift. Or have the rolls change automatically. Or have a flashing sign that says "no paper receipt, use another station if you want a paper receipt". Or Before your card is validated, give a warning there is no paper receipt. Or Leave a sticky pad and pen so patrons can write on the pump that there is no paper receipts. Or, ...

It happens too often for the excuse, "the cashier is too busy".

And if there is a Help button, do SOMETHING when it is pressed.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #33101
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wish I could wear headphones but that's impossible. I need to be available to my other coworkers although it's hard sometimes to hear someone call my name over the other chatter going on. Then there's the beeps of the computer system and the phone and the other people talking or asking questions.

In the afternoons, there's anywhere from 9 to 12 people packed in a small space all trying to work around each other.

And let's not even talk about the temperature. It's so freaking hot all the time and I don't do hot well. Even with my fan constantly blowing on me.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #33102
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
The headphones I use at work are intentionally very big and obvious. I want to look totally immersed so that people are hesitant to bother me.

The key for me is that they are open back, meaning sounds can still easily reach me and they can hear my music if I turn it up (I VERY rarely do). Because of that I can still hear what is going on around me and I can respond if needed.

Just wearing them, even if they are off, reduces how many times someone tries to interrupt me but if someone needs my attention for something real, not just office scuttlebutt, I can still respond. If they are trying to get my attention for something irrelevant I can ignore them and blame the headphones.

(I do want some noise cancelling ones too. Mostly for travel but also for crunch times at work when all other issues are irrelevant. The high end Sony's and Bose and some others have voice pass-through technology too, so you can both listen to loud music and hear voices around you if needed.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #33103
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I think I'm going to have a medical even just trying to reschedule a medical event. :P
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #33104
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer

5 days of peace! Miss works all the time is now off until Wednesday. Gee, no wonder she has no money.

I have the evil thought to slightly rearrange her normal work station. Last time I made a few minor changes, it was like 4 days before she noticed and blew up.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:58 PM   #33105
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
rearrange her workstation into another room
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness