Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 03:47 AM   #16
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I'm wondering if the Kindle DX will drop in price when the iPad gets out. This might turn out to get some more sales for the DX. As things stands right now I'm waiting to see what will be available in march, several new interesting devices should be out by then.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:43 AM   #17
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur
Momo_Germany began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 (great!!) +DX, Sony PRS-505,-700,-600 (dislike!), iPad
I received my KindleDX international last week and what should I say, I LOVE it! For me it's much better than the Sony-devices and I would not like to be without it anymore.

Maybe I'M going to buy an iPad too, but this won't substitute my KindleDX.

Greetings from Germany,
Momo
Momo_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #18
sxtal
sxtal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Gonna Buy the Kindle DX

Personally, I already have a laptop and have no need to replace it. What I'm looking for is an ebook reader, not a whole new computer.

Several points have been made here, and I find them all interesting...that being said, while several people bemoan the fact that the Kindle DX is "only" a dedicated e-reader and ask why should they buy it, I respond that that is exactly the reason you should buy it: because it does what it does extremely well. It's not trying to be anything else.

It uses e-ink which has no glare and looks virtually identical to ink on paper in a physical book, it can be read in sunlight as well as indoors, it has no backlight (which is the primary cause of eye strain), and is lighter than the iPad. And the battery comparison is, well, not much of a comparison at all. The iPad will, at best, last about ten hours, while the Kindle DX will last up to two weeks (reported by users themselves). Besides, as I mentioned earlier, I'm looking for an e-book reader. I'm not particularly interested in needing my font to be multi-colored. I read many p-books today in black and white and have never felt that I'm lacking anything because the ink and illustrations were not in color.

The other comments here have alluded to the Kindle DX's price. My understanding is that Amazon decided to avoid the cell phone model of giving away the hardware and requiring users to have a multi-year contract and subscription for signal and data transfer. Using that model the user would, in the long run, pay much, much more.

Amazon has apparently decided instead to simply charge upfront for a completely stand-alone unit that requires no further investment to operate and use. Kindle DX comes with built-in global wireless at no extra charge. Downloads are completely free in the US. There is a small charge for downloading ebooks in other countries (I'll actually be using mine in Brazil) but I'll simply buy my book online (no extra charge) and transfer it to my Kindle DX. Easy. Besides the obvious cost of purchasing ebooks, there is no other cost associated with owning a Kindle DX. It's like my portable GPS; I bought the unit and don't have to pay anything ever again.

With the iPad, not only would I need to pay the same price as a Kindle DX, but I also need to have a never-ending monthly subscription for wireless internet in the neighborhood of $60/month. At $500 for an iPad, in a little over 8 months I will have paid that much again just for my internet access alone! As far as I'm concerned, it just isn't worth it. With my cell phone, although I have to pay a monthly price to use it, at least it was free. Maybe if they were giving away an iPad and charging a monthly fee it would be more realistic.

I don't own a Kindle DX (yet) or an iPad, but I'm personally leaning much more toward the Kindle DX. What I continue to hear in folks' concerns is reasons why I should not buy a Kindle DX instead of the reasons to buy an iPad. In the end it comes down to what you truly find to hold the most value for you; not only value in terms of dollars, but value in terms of its functionality and the funtionality that you need as well.

Me, I want an ebook reader, so unless there's some compelling reason to buy a whole new computer, I'll buy the Kindle DX.
sxtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #19
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxtal View Post
It uses e-ink which has no glare
E-ink/Screen can still get glare when you put a light source directly at the screen, may vary from device to device.

Quote:
Me, I want an ebook reader, so unless there's some compelling reason to buy a whole new computer, I'll buy the Kindle DX.
I guess a lot of the people in here leaning towards the iPad already has an e-ink reader and are looking for a second device. In my case I'm looking for a reader with a bigger screen.

If you go for the Kindle DX I think you will be utmost happy. I haven't regretted buying my Kindle 2 for a moment.

Last edited by thinkpad; 02-12-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #20
sxtal

thinkpadx,

Thanks for your comments, I'm glad to know that you really like your Kindle. As I mentioned, I don't (yet) own one, but I'm definitely buying an ereader this year, and thus far Kindle has 'em all licked hands down. I've read many, many reviews about the Kindle DX (and the others that are just now entering the market), but I have yet to speak (or write) to an actual owner. Would you be willing to write a few words (yes, both the good and the bad) about your experience with Kindle? Personally, I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I also truly would like to hear if there's anything you might change if you were an ereader designer. Thanks, hope to hear your own thoughts...
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #21
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
If you'd like to try what is it feel like using color screen e-book reader - try Kindle for PC, Kindle for Ipod touch or Kindle for Blackberry (it's free). If you ask me, I think reading on ipod touch's color screen could kill my eyes ;]) But If Ipad has some glare protection maybe it will be great for reading from color reading screen - like this wired video about an e-magazine.
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #22
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Would you be willing to write a few words (yes, both the good and the bad) about your experience with Kindle?
One thing to note is that not all books will be available to you if you're not from the U.S (unless you register your Kindle with a U.S account) this has to do with geographical restrictions and can be frustrating at times.

Once a book is on the device it's very simple to just open and start reading. Opening a book is fast, as is page turning (note: not as fast as on an lcd-screen). The built-in dictionary is a lifesaver when you come across words you need to lookup. You don't have to leave the page your on. The definition will be shown to you at the bottom of the page. It's only when you want more detailed information that you actually leave the page you are on.

I also like the sleep mode a lot. I never turn of the device completely. When I go out of sleep mode the device will instantly come back to life. This is a huge benefit. No time to wait before you can start reading and pick up where you left off. Coming out of sleep-mode the Kindle will remember what you were reading and on which page.

As far as I know the sleep-mode hardly draws any battery. It's the page turning that draws battery, but then I do make a habit of turning off the wireless mode to save extra battery-life.

One thing I've noted on the Kindle 2 is that if I read for several hours my thumbs start to get sore after all the clicking when turning pages. I think this has to do with the fact that the page turning buttons feels small. I would have liked a longer button and there's definitely room for it. I don't think this is a problem on the DX, on the other hand on the DX you don't have buttons on each side. This is a plus on the Kindle 2. When you start getting tired in one hand you just switch to the other.

As for larger documents I'm a little reluctant to go for an e-ink device because I know the page-turning wont be as smooth. Imagine if you scan a book that for some reason can't be converted to text. You will end up with a huge document where each page will take longer time to turn than a regular text page. Even worse if you jump between pages for researching or whatever the e-ink doesn't cut it. It just feels to slow.

So for normal reading yes e-ink is the best. For researching or in scenarios where you do a lot of fast page turning e-ink readers are not optimal.

I took a picture to show you glare, and some pictures to give you an idea of the dictionary system: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/album.php?albumid=333

Last edited by thinkpad; 02-20-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #23
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I think for a review to have any merit it needs more meat. Just comparing disk space and dimensions really is not enough to make a judgment unless your looking to buy a hard drive.

The comment "So, if you compare it price to GB. The Apple iPad is cheaper than Kindle DX. " is misleading, if you are comparing price points then you should also add Wireless access and price of books. In which case Amazon would be much cheaper since Wireless is free on the Kindle but you must pay a subscription plan for the iPad. Also Amazon had more books and at a cheaper price point than most dealers.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #24
Tyler_D
Tyler_D doesn't litterTyler_D doesn't litter

sxtal,

I have owned a kindle DX for about 8 months now and can give you my opinion of my US version DX.

Good: The screen size is nice. I haven't actually seen a kindle 1 or 2, but I've heard people say that you can fit an entire kindle 2 device within the borders of the DX screen. If your eyes are good I'd say that most scientific pdf documents are readable in portrait mode and the font enlarges in landscape. I have read for hours on my DX and have no more headache or eye fatigue than I would reading a book. It's easy for me to get into a book and the kindle isn't a distraction at all.

Bad: The pdf functionality is really quite limited right now. All you can do is read pdf files, add bookmarks, and do a basic search. No highlighting, adding notes, text to speech, or anything like that.

I love my DX and use it for reading and studying all the time. If they could improve the pdf functionality it would be about perfect.
Tyler_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #25
sxtal

Tyler_D,

Thanks for the great info. It helps to hear from real owners, even though I've read much of the same from a multitude of reviews. I will actually have a US account, although I'm moving to Brazil so I'll be getting my ebooks online, then moving them over via USB. Don't really have a burning need to download wirelessly anyway. Kewl...
Old 02-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #26
sxtal

=X=,

I totally agree with your comment about a comparison. That was actually one of my arguments in my earlier post above. Even if Apple adopted the cellphone model and gave away the hardware, I'd still have to pay $60/month just to have the wireless connectivity if I wanted to buy books on the run. For my money, it's just not worth it.

Someone else responded to another post of mine and mentioned that iPad can run off your existing wireless at home, so you don't need to pay for another connection. That may be true, but if you want to use it's wireless functionality more than thirty feet from your home you're out of luck unless you fork over the monthly fee. Still not worth it to me.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #27
sxtal

thinkpadx,

That was a lot of good info...as I mentioned directly above, I will have a US based account, although I'll be living in Brazil, so I won't be doing much wireless download at $1.99 a pop.

You mentioned several kewl things that are not usually addressed in some of the more "commercial" reviews, such as the dictionary being available on the same page of the book you're reading, that you don't have to leave that page in order to see the definition of the word. And the page turning delay is probably minor and not that big of a deal anyway (for me.) I watched a few video reviews and they showed the Kindle compared to Sony and to iRex and if I remember correctly, the Kindle turned pages faster than both. So I don't think I'll be complaining. Again, thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts down for newbies like me to read!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #28
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablettweet View Post
I have write a comparison about Apple IPad and Kindle DX. and to me, it seems like IPad has everything that people might want from their tablet e-book reader and no ways that Kindle DX will survive this. The released of Ipad has made the Kindle DX become an old fashion e-book reader style. So I like to know that, for someone who has plan to buying Kindle DX, Are you still gonna buy it or wait for Ipad ?
You state: "Apple Ipad is cheaper, multi-tasker and with the color reading screen".
This doesn't seem to be correct. I'm pretty sure, iPad DOES NOT multitask. Pretty weak for a so called "tablet".
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:12 PM   #29
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
....Amazon would be much cheaper since Wireless is free on the Kindle but you must pay a subscription plan for the iPad. Also Amazon had more books and at a cheaper price point than most dealers.=X=
Yes. Also, while the lowest-rung model with 16 gig and no 3G is $500 and people are using that for comparison, the Kindle DX does come with slow 3G wireless to anywhere, though mobile-optimized sites are certainly the choice.

For an iPad, there's an add'l $130 to get the 3G so that is $630 to start and then $30 per month for useable 3G.

I'm glad to see others enjoy their DX's in that it is such a beautiful device to read on, for long-session sequential reading. I won't even mention the many dedicated e-reader functions.

For color I use Kindle for PC on my 10.2" Samsung netbook NC10-14 which is a real honey, with beautiful matte screen and all the many features the iPad is missing (like multitasking, Flash support, USB ports, SD slot), and of course the flexibility of having a HD. We can make a webpage full screen with no toolbars when we want. I would mainly miss my Netbook if I were to get an iPad in its first model. I hope to get what would be a more flexible iPad 2. I personally don't care about the webcam but my Samsung has it and the iPad doesn't. Only $350 too. Too many things missing on the iPad.

Last edited by andrys; 02-24-2010 at 11:14 PM.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #30
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
One thing to note is that not all books will be available to you if you're not from the U.S (unless you register your Kindle with a U.S account) this has to do with geographical restrictions and can be frustrating at times.
Another thing to remember is that the Apple iStore will not be selling i-books for the iPad outside the U.S.

They don't mention that very much.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, comparision, ipad, kindle dx, wait