Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Two-line cordless phone recommendations

Gentlefolk;

Definitely NOT e-book related,but I need some info from some literate techno-geeks.

Our venerable Uniden 900Mhz wireless phones are biting the dust. Super range, love the phones. We are out in the country, and we need the range of these phones.

Of course, anything that works well, by some law, is no longer made. So I can't find 900 Mhz phones anymore.

Apparently, next on the list is the DECT phones, but I haven't found any info on the anticipated range of these units... and reviews I have found fall into: 1) perfect, phone works well within my bedroom, or 2) Useless, the phones spontaneously turn off and have no talk time.

Neither of these types of comments either shed light on the issues or reassure me enough to pull the trigger.

Requirements: 2-line, two cordless handset (expandable to a third is optional), superior range - 300 meters or so would be reasonable.

I got an AT&T 5.8 Ghz phone, and it was useless.. couldn't even use that from the office to the kitchen (down one floor and 30 meters away), and failed completely outside the house.

So, Im cursing old, but very usable technology no longer being available, and being replaced by new, but useless technology.

Did I say I love my Kindle? Who needs books??

Thx!

Don
dwallbaum@aol.com
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Here is a suggestion:

Keep one landline.
Cancel the other.
Get a dual phone (one landline+one VOIP line) like the S675IP
Set it up.
Enjoy life and read wise books.

P.S. 300 meters is a fairly unreasonable requirement for a consumer phone (unless you live over a body of water.) If you get 200 feet, you should be happy....

Last edited by Sonist; 11-04-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Yeah... VOIP not an option for us... no cable or DSL in the area. Going thru satellite broadband, which is not suitable for phones.

Soo.. while my quest continues,Im going to see if getting new handset batteries for the current phones will do anything to solve my problems. Cheap place to start, at any rate.

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I've got a Siemens Gigaset dect phone. The battery life is about a week (runs on 2 heavy duty AA batteries) after about 5 years still. I've never had any problems with it, and while I haven't ever tried it out over a distance of 200m, I do know I have perfect reception when I'm in the back of the garden. Even in our old house, which was heavily insulated, we had perfect reception outside. They do claim a 300m range outside. The set we have can have 6 units connected.

When we bought our first set, we found out a lot of stores use it as well (everywhere we came and a phone rang, we recognized the ringtone )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote