Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #1
westiti
westiti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire
How to rename epub books by title and author

Hi guys.

I've a lot of eBooks downloaded from all over the internet, and I want to rename these books using titles and authors like this "eBook title by author". I use to do that manually, but as my eBooks collection gets larger and larger, it's not easy anymore.

So my question is: is there anyway to automatically rename all my eBooks collection using Calibre and extracting the title and authors from the metadata?

Thanks!
westiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@westiti - simple answer is 'Yes'.

Calibre can extract the metadata, including author and title, when a book is added to the library and populate its metadata database.

It will copy the book file (known as a 'format') into a library which is a set of folders based upon Author Names and Titles - but you don't need to worry about any of that, because all access to the metadata and the book format files should be done via the calibre program - not the computers file system.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-24-2016 at 05:36 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@westiti - simple answer is 'Yes'.

Calibre can extract the metadata, including author and title, when a book is added to the library and populate its metadata database.

It will copy the book file (known as a 'format') into a library which is a set of folders based upon Author Names and Titles - but you don't need to worry about any of that, because all access to the metadata and the book format files should be done via the calibre program - not the computers file system.

BR
... and while the files in calibre's library are stored the way calibre wants them stored, you can use a Save Template, setup in Preferences/Saving to Disk and Preferences/Saving to Device, to create the TITLE by AUTHOR naming pattern you want when the book is "exported" from calibre via its Send to Device or Save to Disk functions. The template I use is:

{series} {series_index:0>2s} {title} - {authors}

as I like to preface the title with the series name and number. You might want to use:

{title} by {authors}

These templates affect the exported filename. You may also want to use a Plugboard (again, setup in Preferences) to have calibre perform similar gymnastics on the embeded metadata in the exported file. Some ereaders display the title and/or author from the metadata instead of the filename. I use both Save templates and a Plugboard.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:25 AM   #4
westiti
westiti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire
Thank you guys.
westiti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, metadata, rename