Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-13-2019, 06:41 AM   #1
Onyx Boox
Connoisseur
Onyx Boox is on a distinguished road

Device: Boox Ereader
Latest Firmware 2.1.2 is available now!

Announcement: The latest firmware 2.1.2 update for Note Pro, Nova Pro is available now. Please update by OTA or downloading from our update page. Updates for other models will be out later.
Onyx Boox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
So far, it is working well on my Nova Pro... But then I wasn't experiencing all that many issues on the 2.1.1 firmware.

Still, glad that it is out. Will update my Note Pro later.

Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #3
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Can't wait to hear other's impression of how it works. Since you can't rollback firmware I'll probably wait a while
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:55 AM   #4
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Of the two problems that affected me they did fix one of them, which was that previously you couldn't do a long press on a book in the library and select an alternative reader; you were only allowed neoreader. Now I can select other readers.

But the more aggravating problem still remains which is that neoreader still forces text-align: justified; i.e., a straight right margin rather than a ragged right margin. I prefer a ragged right margin because it avoids problems with noticeable uneven spacing between words. I'm testing with books I've formatted and use text-align: left; and which display properly in the calibre reader, sigil's previewer, adobe digital editions, librera, etc.

But luckily koreader is available and it's a dream come true for doing all of the things I do or might want to do. A really amazing piece of software. But considering how much the Note Pro costs I think it's abysmal that they can't provide a competent reader.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:01 AM   #5
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
I forgot to say that in order to maximize my adventures with the update I did a factory reset after it installed.

That gave me two additional apps that are in Chinese; one looks like a game the other has a little bird for its icon (twitter or somesuch?).

I haven't tried setting up google play since the android apps invariably look like crap on an e-ink device since they don't know (or care) that it's grayscale.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2019, 02:14 AM   #6
Icey
Connoisseur
Icey began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx max
what about the max 2 pro ? /
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:18 AM   #7
stjoe
Connoisseur
stjoe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, Pocket eDGe, Kindle Paperwhite, Sony, Onyx N96, Onyx Nova
I just upgraded to this firmware version.

- Now, I cannot create shortcut for Note app, previously using "Quick Shortcut Maker" app, I can create shortcut for Note and put it on homescreen.

- Now, everytime I switch to other app while writing a note, the note always insist to close and save. This is not practical if I want to switch back and forth from taking note to say reading FBreader. Previously while I read on FBReader, I can switch to note to take notes
stjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:57 AM   #8
Onyx Boox
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey View Post
what about the max 2 pro ? /
The latest firmware is available now. Please kindly check from here.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #9
Onyx Boox
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I forgot to say that in order to maximize my adventures with the update I did a factory reset after it installed.

That gave me two additional apps that are in Chinese; one looks like a game the other has a little bird for its icon (twitter or somesuch?).

I haven't tried setting up google play since the android apps invariably look like crap on an e-ink device since they don't know (or care) that it's grayscale.
Dear, we have forwarded this to our relative colleagues to follow up. You could long press the icons for these two Apps and press the "delete" button.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:21 AM   #10
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx Boox View Post
The latest firmware is available now. Please kindly check from here.

waiting for plain Nova
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #11
t4k1s
t4k1s began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max Pro
Homescreen crash loop

Hi all,

So when I checked for updates on my Onyx Max Pro 2, I noticed the 2.1.2 firmware. I installed it, but as it rebooted, it seems the home app keeps crashing and rebooting. At least that's what I think I am seeing. The home screen starts appearing, then flashing blank and again the home screen starts appearing, rendering the device completely unusable.

Here's video of the device showing the behavior:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C7ZUiNkQXs

If I plug in a USB-cable and start clicking on the top menu bar, I can sometimes access the notification list. Same with the "task manager", but I cannot read any books nor can I access any apps (so I cannot access the settings to flash an older firmware).

The combination "powerbutton + back key" does _not_ give a factory reset menu but just starts the device. So, it seems like I'm out of options which is why I am posting on this forum. Any other owners having the same issue? Any suggestions on why the factory reset isn't working? I got the key combination from the Onyx website:
https://www.boox.com/support/faq/

"Switch off the device firstly, and then long press "back + power" buttons at the same time , enter into recovery mode. "

And it worked fine with the older firmware so I am _so_ regretting doing this update...

With friendly regards,
Takis

PS: I had posted this message earlier, but for some reason it was deleted? :-/
t4k1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4k1s View Post
PS: I had posted this message earlier, but for some reason it was deleted? :-/
No, it went into auto-moderation (so only visible to mods). And 'earlier' being ten minutes before. I'd just approved it when you posted this one, so now it has been deleted.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #13
t4k1s

Oh, sorry, I wasn't aware of that, I am not a frequent forum user anymore.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #14
t4k1s

After many clicks, reboots, USB-connects and disconnects I managed to get into the settings menu. I was able to do a factory reset and now the device works again. I did lose everything on the device though, all my notes and it appears (which I hadn't expected) all my books on the device are gone too.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #15
t4k1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4k1s View Post
After many clicks, reboots, USB-connects and disconnects I managed to get into the settings menu. I was able to do a factory reset and now the device works again. I did lose everything on the device though, all my notes and it appears (which I hadn't expected) all my books on the device are gone too.
Just reporting that the books weren't gone after all.