Notices

Old 05-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #1
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast
Maria Loranger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite + Kobo Libra 2
Newbie has questions - Please help

Hello all,
I am a non-techie using a Kobo for the first time - a Kobo Forma.
I am generally happy with my Kobo, however the navigation annoys me.
Particularly, the fact that I need 4 clicks to to access the browser. That's why I'm looking for a way to access the browser directly from the Home screen.
I have been reading here and there about software that can be installed on Kobo and about patches, but found nothing promising and, anyway, most goes over my head.
I have 2 questions that I hope you can answer:
1. Is there a way (software, trick, etc.) to have shortcuts or widgets on the Home Screen?
2. Can Android be installed on a Kobo Forma?
Thank you very much,
ML
Maria Loranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Android probably technically can be installed but it's not something that can be done easily. Kobo's run Linux.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
you're a non-techie who wants to install an entirely new OS on a device to avoid four clicks?

How much time do you intend to spend on the browser
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #4
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Loranger View Post
I'm looking for a way to access the browser directly from the Home screen.
I have been reading here and there about software that can be installed on Kobo and about patches, but found nothing promising and, anyway, most goes over my head.
This can be done, theoretically
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I could change the bottom-left link to a link to the browser or beta features menu if you want.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast

Thank you, everybody!
Advert
Old 05-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
you're a non-techie who wants to install an entirely new OS on a device to avoid four clicks?

How much time do you intend to spend on the browser
I know, right?!
What can I say?! Android has spoiled me
But, to beat my own drum, I did teach myself, from things I read, how to flush a custom ROM on an Android phone. So maybe there is a flicker of hope for me...
Old 05-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #7
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
This can be done, theoretically
This is very interesting - I'll read more about it, thanks!
Old 05-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #8
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
Quote:
This is very interesting - I'll read more about it, thanks!
I don't recommend it. It was done as a experiment, and eReaders aren't phones, they have lower RAM, the Eink screen doesn't work the same as phone screens.
I don't know if Koreader would work better for you, it's an alternate software for eReaders and it's available for Kobos, but I don't use it so I don't know if the browser is more accessible there.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I know, right?!
What can I say?! Android has spoiled me
But, to beat my own drum, I did teach myself, from things I read, how to flush a custom ROM on an Android phone. So maybe there is a flicker of hope for me...
Out of curiousity, what are you using the browser for?

E-ink isn't meant to act like a phone and browsing the internet on one for more than downloading a book seems like an exercise in frustration.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:16 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The older Kindles paginated the webpage, like how eBooks work. That worked well. However newer firmware is like the kobo, ghastly. Scrolling on eInk is terrible. It's only really suited to page turns or small block updates.

A decent 6" screen phone (skinnier) can be got for about €100 on Pay-as-you-go. No monthly commitment. Though you might pay as much a cheap laptop for a tablet with decent usable browser speed and resolution.

I'd only use the browser via search in a book to look up an unusual phrase or see if a place was real. It's a terrible interface.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #11
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast

Your comments and advice are very helpful.
Thank you all!

Tags
android, forma, shortcuts