Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #16
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post
^OK thanks for the overview on the battery life.

I've only had to charge the AP1 a couple times since owning it. But already, here's the thing you really miss: a charge status light. You know, something that's say green when charged, red when charging or out, yellow when almost out. It'd be nice to have a little heads up on what your charge level is.
On your iPad to which the AP1 is connected via BT, swipe right on the Home screen to display the Today screen, then scroll to the Batteries section. In the Batteries section you will see the status of the iPad's battery, the AP1's battery, and the battery status of other BT devices connected to the iPad like headsets. As long as a BT device is connected to the iPad and the device supports this function, its battery charge status will be displayed. You might have to add the Battery section if it isn't already displayed, but it is probably already added. See link above for using and modifying the Today screen.

Last edited by OtinG; 04-19-2019 at 01:01 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #17
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
Thanks. I'm such a newb Pencil user I didn't know that status indicator was there. Needless to say, I never read the instructions, so that's what I get.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #18
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks. I'm such a newb Pencil user I didn't know that status indicator was there. Needless to say, I never read the instructions, so that's what I get.
Me too! I'm bad about not reading the user manual until I need something specific. Every time I do read it, I find some new features I didn't know about. I've started spending more time reading it now that I've got an iPhone XR because there were some major interface changes between it and my iPad Pro 9.7" and my older iPhone 7. (Such as face recognition and no physical Home button.) Plus asking questions in this forum section usually gets a response from someone who has already figured out what you need to know. Good luck.

And don't worry too much about the battery life expectancy of your AP1. It will likely last as long as you have the AP1. Eventually you will probably upgrade to an AP[>1] model to use with a future iPad or iPhone, and the AP1 will most likely still be operational then.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Have not used my AP1 consistently enough to know if battery is ‘degrading’. It has always needed a charge after a few days of being confined to its holder in the case.

I am seriously considering getting an iPad mini to replace my iPad Air 2.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #20
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I am seriously considering getting an iPad mini to replace my iPad Air 2.
The Mini has been an impressive and worthy addition to my menagerie of devices. Coming from someone who gets pretty jaded about new devices because we see so many where I work. It is also getting pretty good reviews in the tech press. I use it more than any device--Kindle, phone, or laptop--when not at work. Reading on it in Kindle or Mapleread apps with a fine-tuned display the way I like it, is really the best ebook reading experience I've had.
Advert
Old 04-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #21
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
The Mini has been an impressive and worthy addition to my menagerie of devices. Coming from someone who gets pretty jaded about new devices because we see so many where I work. It is also getting pretty good reviews in the tech press. I use it more than any device--Kindle, phone, or laptop--when not at work. Reading on it in Kindle or Mapleread apps with a fine-tuned display the way I like it, is really the best ebook reading experience I've had.
I find that the new Mini appears to be faster than my new Ipad 11" when downloading books and apps. Love it!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:41 AM   #22
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
The annoying thing about the Apple Pencil is that it drains even when not using it. Just a slight jiggle is enough to turn the thing on in your bag. Sometimes I toggle my iPad BT just to keep the thing from connecting and draining itself dry. (If it can't connect it will stay off until you plug it into the lighting port again)

Last edited by Dylrob; 04-20-2019 at 04:45 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #23
hollowpoint
Groupie

I'm surprised the accelerometer is that touchy. You'd think the designers would have considered that people would still be moving around carrying the pencil when not using it.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:14 PM   #24
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
I'm surprised the accelerometer is that touchy. You'd think the designers would have considered that people would still be moving around carrying the pencil when not using it.
Apple design has emphasized form over function for a long time now. IMO that sux! I understand the need to make devices and accessories pleasing to look at, but I also think function is the most important aspect and Apple often fails to give it enough thought. Apple is not alone in that. Amazon certainly fails to understand function in its Kindle and Echo line of devices, and apparently so does Samsung in their insanely expensive $2000 folding phone. Maybe that reflects a younger generation that is more concerned with form than my generation which tends to be more concerned with function.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #25
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I have never had an iPad or iPhone that wasn't immediately placed in a good Otterbox case to spend its life. I could not care less what the iPad or AP looks like, I’m more concerned with what I can do with them.
While I wouldn't mind iOS devices getting a smidge thicker for longer battery life, I am glad that they're not ruggedized and that there are a plethora of case options other than Otterbox. A ruggedized iPad would be way too bulky and heavy for me (unless I'm using it at a construction site).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #26
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
While I wouldn't mind iOS devices getting a smidge thicker for longer battery life, I am glad that they're not ruggedized and that there are a plethora of case options other than Otterbox. A ruggedized iPad would be way too bulky and heavy for me (unless I'm using it at a construction site).
I like going out into the boonies to take part in my favorite hobby of photographing the night sky (astrophotography and nightscapes). So I need a ruggedized case. Also I have arthritis to an extreme, especially in my hands, so I need the thicker case to be able to hold an iPad/iPhone comfortably. And even then it is sometimes a bit painful or at least uncomfortable. Getting old sux! The good thing about the Otterbox Defender case for the iPad is it has that thick, ruggedized, non-slip rubbery case plus it snaps into a hard plastic outer shell. So when I pack up my RAV4 for a journey out to dark skies I can feel secure in the knowledge that my iPad is well protected from all the other camera, tripod, tracking mounts, et cetera gear. The Otterbox Defender case for the iPhone is about the same thickness as that for the iPad, but it has a nice belt cradle that really makes it convenient to get to and protects it from accidental drops, which do occur occasionally. So obviously my needs are certainly different from yours.

I never cared for the slip on neoprene covers (not really cases IMO). I never cared at all for those flip open and fold around to the back cases either. The folding front portions moves around too much when opened and makes for difficulties in holding. I've tried dozens of cases over the years for my iThingies, Kindles, Android tablets, et cetera, and except for my Kindle, I always come back to the Otterbox Defender. To each their own of course. And I have to say that of all the smartphones and tablets I have owned over the years, I have never damaged one. I'm always happy to see the device a few years later still looking brand new when I get ready to trade it off for a newer model.

Last edited by OtinG; 04-20-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:10 AM   #27
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
The annoying thing about the Apple Pencil is that it drains even when not using it. Just a slight jiggle is enough to turn the thing on in your bag. Sometimes I toggle my iPad BT just to keep the thing from connecting and draining itself dry. (If it can't connect it will stay off until you plug it into the lighting port again)

I have a case with a pencil holder so I also now keep BT off unless it’s needed.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:47 AM   #28
hollowpoint
Groupie

^Tried turning off BT but obviously that means having to plug in the AP1 and re-pair it every time you want to use. The more often you use the AP1, the more of a hassle that is.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #29
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Well you could probably build a Faraday cage to block the electromagnetic waves. BT uses radio waves which are electromagnetic waves. Sounds complicated, but it is a very simply thing. Place the AP1 inside a small metal container and the metal will block most, if not all, of the BT radio wave signals from entering/leaving that container, therefore the AP1 and iPad will think they have lost contact with one another and eventually they will stop trying to re-establish contact. A large metal cigar tube would work. A small box lined with aluminum foil or aluminum tape would work. A small cookie tin made of metal would work.

In theory I've heard that the AP1 is supposed to stop attempting to contact the AP1 after it loses BT connection. If it really does stop wasting energy trying to reconnect, then blocking the BT signals should cause it to stop wasting that energy and give up trying to reconnect. I have no clue if Apple actually built in that function, but if so then blocking the BT signals should save energy and not cause you to go through turning the BT on/off on the iPad. In other words, you could leave BT turned on all the time. So when you get ready to reconnect the AP1, you would only need to plug it into the iPad's lightning port for a few seconds until the iPad reconnected, then unplug and use it.

The easiest way to try this would be to loosely roll the AP1 up inside a sheet of aluminum foil.

On the other hand, a better solution might be to simply buy a dedicated charger for the AP1 and place it in the charger when not in use. That is what I do.

Last edited by OtinG; 04-24-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #30
hollowpoint
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Well you could probably build a Faraday cage to block the electromagnetic waves.
LOL, you know, somebody should build a slim case for the AP1--I already see a host of aftermarket cases--that does exactly what you suggest. This would be such a simple, elegant solution. That way you could do really practical things like, oh, storing your AP1 in a zippered side pocket of the same case that you store your Ipad, without worrying about it trying to reconnect and drain the battery.