Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-15-2017, 05:50 AM   #1
Psmith0182
Enthusiast
Psmith0182 began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
[Android] Linking cc to Dropbox

Every time I try to connect my companion to Dropbox, I get this weird popup that won't let me stick to one folder and continue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2017-08-15-02-30-32.png
Views:	324
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	158443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2017-08-15-01-13-36.png
Views:	289
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	158444  
Psmith0182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I need more information. Did you see the left-most dialog first? Did you scroll it to see "Documents" then tap on "Documents"? If so, is there anything in "Documents"? Said another way, what did you actually do?

Another question: is there really a full copy of calibre library somewhere in Dropbox? A folder that contains calibre's metadata.db file?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
Psmith0182
Enthusiast

so I just need to copy and paste the whole calibre folder into my dropbox folder? sorry, I dunno why, but I was just looking for my books folder so I could link the books I wanted...didn't realize I'd have to directly connect to another version of the program first.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith0182 View Post
so I just need to copy and paste the whole calibre folder into my dropbox folder?
Yes. All of CC's "connections" work with calibre libraries. The Wireless Device and Content Server connections access the calibre library through the calibre program itself. CC's Cloud Connection accesses a folder containing the calibre library. That folder is in the cloud or, if using the "Local Library" cloud connection, in device memory (SD card or main memory).

There is no CC function that can access folders containing books.

If accessing your library in Dropbox is something you will do frequently then you might want to set things up so calibre keeps the Dropbox copy up-to-date. There are several ways to do that. Ask in the calibre forum if you want to discuss the pros and cons of the various methods.
Quote:
sorry, I dunno why, but I was just looking for my books folder so I could link the books I wanted...didn't realize I'd have to directly connect to another version of the program first.
I don't understand the "connect to another version of the program first" part. All that is required is a copy of calibre's library in Dropbox. No "connection" with another program is needed.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
Psmith0182
Enthusiast

ok I've selected /calibre/My Books...and still the only options are up/back and cancel >.<
Advert
Old 08-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
ok I've selected /calibre/My Books...and still the only options are up/back and cancel >.<
If you put your calibre library folder onto Dropbox (the folder containing the file "metadata.db") and if Dropbox has finished syncing that folder to the cloud, then you should see something like this.

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	158450
Note the green arrows. They indicate that the folder contains a calibre library. If you are not seeing such arrows then there is no file "metadata.db" in the folder.

Edit: If there is a green arrow on a line then tapping on that line will select that library.

Last edited by chaley; 08-15-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #7
Psmith0182
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If you put your calibre library folder onto Dropbox (the folder containing the file "metadata.db") and if Dropbox has finished syncing that folder to the cloud, then you should see something like this.
Attachment 158450
Note the green arrows. They indicate that the folder contains a calibre library. If you are not seeing such arrows then there is no file "metadata.db" in the folder.

Edit: If there is a green arrow on a line then tapping on that line will select that library.

I'm still getting the same up/back or cancel options and yet the file is clearly in the folder I selected. >.<
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	db1.png
Views:	264
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	158468  
Old 08-15-2017, 10:14 PM   #8
Psmith0182
Enthusiast

ok this is weird....I found the file in my barnes and nobles bestsellers folder, and now it is connected, but it only recognizes the kindle books I have, but not the actual ebooks I put in dropbox. what should I do?
Old 08-15-2017, 10:17 PM   #9
Psmith0182
Enthusiast

ok it appears that because that file was in the barnes and nobles folder, it is only showing the b&n books and nothing else. should I put that file in the main dropbox folder so it recognizes everything, or would that mess something up?
Old 08-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #10
Psmith0182
Enthusiast

hmmm tried and it didn't work
Old 08-16-2017, 03:32 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm still getting the same up/back or cancel options and yet the file is clearly in the folder I selected. >.<
That file is metadata.opf. The file you are looking for is metadata.db.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:07 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
ok this is weird....I found the file in my barnes and nobles bestsellers folder, and now it is connected, but it only recognizes the kindle books I have, but not the actual ebooks I put in dropbox. what should I do?
Quote:
ok it appears that because that file was in the barnes and nobles folder, it is only showing the b&n books and nothing else. should I put that file in the main dropbox folder so it recognizes everything, or would that mess something up?
Quote:
hmmm tried and it didn't work
I am confused. I can't follow what you are doing.

First: don't copy books around between folders on Dropbox unless you know what you are doing. If one of those folders is a calibre library then copying into that folder can mess up your library.

Second: lets start from the beginning. CC wants a full calibre library, not a collection of books. A "full calibre library" is a library that the calibre program can open on whatever computer you use to run calibre. Apparently you have a calibre library in your barnes & noble folder. How it got there and what it contains I cannot say.

Follow these steps to get the calibre library you want into Dropbox.
  1. On the machine running calibre, open the calibre library you want in Dropbox.
  2. In calibre, click on the library icon on the tool bar.
  3. Click on Switch/create library. You should see something like the following screen capture. Make a note of the path to the library, found in the outlined section of that dialog.

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	158472
  4. Close calibre. Make sure it is really closed, with no icon left in the task bar or equivalent in your system.
  5. Open a file explorer or whatever it is called on your system.
  6. Navigate to the folder with the path you noted. You should see a lot of folders named after authors. You should also see a file named "metadata.db".
  7. Go up one level in the path. You should see the folder containing your library. In my screen capture it is the one double-boxed.
  8. Copy that folder to somewhere in your Dropbox sync folder. Make a note of where you copied it.
  9. Wait for Dropbox to sync completely. How you know it is finished depends on your operating system. Sometimes Dropbox shows icons on the file and folder names. Alternatively you can open the Dropbox app (on Windows from the system tray) and check the sync status as shown in the following image.

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	158473
  10. Once Dropbox has synced, check the folder in Dropbox itself. Open Dropbox in your web browser and navigate to the library folder you created. You should see the same author folders and the same metadata.db file.
  11. Using CC, connect to Dropbox and navigate to the folder containing the library folder. You should see the library folder with a green check next to it. Tap that folder to select that library.
The above steps are not the only way to copy a calibre library. One way: you can also do it from inside calibre using its Copy to library function. If you would rather use that but don't know how, ask in the calibre forum. Another way: use a file sync program to copy the library. Something like xcopy on windows. Ask on the calibre forum if you want to use this method.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:34 AM   #13
Psmith0182
Enthusiast

ok I'm finally connected to all of the books...thank you! now, however, it won't let me download any of the books from CC......I have a bit over a gig on my internal data, so it should work...
Old 08-16-2017, 05:01 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
ok I'm finally connected to all of the books...thank you! now, however, it won't let me download any of the books from CC......I have a bit over a gig on my internal data, so it should work...
Do you mean that CC's Cloud Connection will not download books to CC's library? If so, what does CC say?

My guess is that the library is not yet fully synced. By that I mean that the metadata.db file is there but the actual books aren't there yet. To check this, look in the dropbox folder using the web browser and navigate down into an author folder. Pick one of the titles and navigate into that. If there is a book format in that folder then note the title and look for that title in CC. CC should be able to download that book.

Another less accurate way to check is to look for books that have the correct cover images, not the CC default. If the cover has been synced to dropbox then there is a good chance that the book formats have been synced as well.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:18 AM   #15
Psmith0182
Enthusiast

it's all fully synced and showing both in CC and DB, but it won't let me download the books and read them.