Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
Hiro-kun
Hiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo
Exclamation Problems after updating to software ver. 3.2.0 (Problems found unrelated to update)

My Glo updated its firmware to 3.2.0 today and I have a couple issues with it:
  1. Pocket does not download any articles from my account and the ones that were there before are no longer on the device.
  2. The book I was last reading appears to be corrupted; it appears as a blank book in the collection I had it in; opening it leads to a blank screen.
  3. Web browser favourites are gone.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix these problems? Thanks.

Last edited by Hiro-kun; 02-12-2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Added new problem
Hiro-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try a power off / power on.

I will admit I did not expect to see 3.2.0 in the wild yet

Could you supply us with the build date and version info please.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As far as Pocket goes, I had recently done a factory reset due to a beta issue and never re-logged in to Pocket. I just did and had zero issues with it downloading all articles.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
Hiro-kun
Hiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Try a power off / power on.

I will admit I did not expect to see 3.2.0 in the wild yet

Could you supply us with the build date and version info please.
3.2.0 (d0a9bf18ea, 2/11/14)
Old 02-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Same as the last build we received in the beta.
Advert
Old 02-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
Hiro-kun

Neither toggling the power nor a basic reset fix the problems. Also noticed that some settings aren't being remembered after a basic reset, like my Pocket login. I'll try a factory reset after I backup the books I have on it.

New problem detected: Calibre has an error communicating with the device:

calibre, version 1.23.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 490, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1679, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2577, in get_bookshelflist
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed
Old 02-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
Hiro-kun

Factory reset done. After setup, my reader updated its firmware back to 3.2.0. Logged into Pocket and articles look like they've synced properly. I'll start side-loading the books I had on it before.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro-kun View Post
New problem detected: Calibre has an error communicating with the device:

calibre, version 1.23.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 490, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1679, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2577, in get_bookshelflist
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed
This was the problem. Somehow, the database on the device had become corrupted. That causes weird problems like you were seeing. It probably would have been fixed by logging out of your Kobo user on the device and then back in.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #9
Hiro-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
This was the problem. Somehow, the database on the device had become corrupted. That causes weird problems like you were seeing. It probably would have been fixed by logging out of your Kobo user on the device and then back in.
Thanks. I'll remember if this happens again.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #10
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Could an administrator put a note at the top of this topic that the problem turned out to be unrelated to the 3.2.0 update? I was scared off of updating by the opening post, and the problems it described.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I've reported that post and requested either a title edit or message content edit to clarify that this was a DB issue.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #12
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, PeterT!

(You know, for a guy who's "Taking a break; Fed up" -- you do a lot around here! )
Old 02-13-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've reported that post and requested either a title edit or message content edit to clarify that this was a DB issue.
Changed thread title from "Problems after updating to software version 3.2.0" to "Problems after updating to software ver. 3.2.0 (Problems found unrelated to update)."
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
From the O.P., it sounds like the update may have caused the DB corruption?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #15
RobertJSawyer
Guru

John F, the original poster has addressed this in another thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=13

He says there: "Yes, it turns out that my database was corrupted. It happened to coincide with the firmware update so I originally assumed the two were related."

Tags
firmware, glo