Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-18-2023, 01:57 AM   #1
Chitter
Luddite who works in IT.
Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Boox Tab Ultra C
How to Root the Onyx Boox Tab Ultra C (Windows)

I previously created this guide for the Note Air 2 Plus. This is the same thing, but I’ve updated the guide and screenshots for the Tab Ultra C.

It took me a while to figure out the rooting process the first time. In hopes of saving others time, I documented the steps and turned them into an easy-to-understand tutorial. I do not have developer’s experience and know just enough to stumble my way through commands. All the hard work to accomplish this was completed by people with more knowledge than I have. I am simply providing instructions and sources.

If you give this guide a run-through, please provide feedback on any errors you find or changes that could be made. Keep in mind I will not be able to answer more technical questions, but perhaps someone else will chime in on the thread if needed.

I have attached the guide as well as the latest patched boot image if you would like that.

2024-04-06 Update
I no longer have this device, so cannot offer any additional files or feedback. After a lot of trial and error, I decided to switch from e-ink to an OLED tablet. IMO, the Onyx tablets are too much of a compromise. I tested reading back and forth from e-ink and OLED for months and noticed my eyes are equally fatigued on either device, so I opted for the one with more utility. Thanks for looking and happy reading!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How to Root the TUC (Win) 2023-07-17.pdf (878.6 KB, 784 views)
File Type: zip TUC Image v3.3.2 (2023-06-09) Patched.zip (38.55 MB, 287 views)

Last edited by Chitter; 04-06-2024 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Updating status.
Chitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 05:59 PM   #2
SuperSqrl
SuperSqrl began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Tab Ultra
Fwiw, this guide worked beautifully on my Tab Ultra (non-c). Thanks for putting in the leg work on this!
SuperSqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2023, 06:01 PM   #3
Chitter
Luddite who works in IT.
Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

@SuperSqrl - You're welcome! I appreciate the comment and I'm glad it helped.

Last edited by Chitter; 09-24-2023 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:12 PM   #4
tokyoghoul
tokyoghoul began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab Ultra c
Hello! I'm having trouble with the loader step.
When I input the edl.exe /l662.elf command, I get this:
>edl /l662.elf
Found EDL 9008
Resetting Sahara
Could not write device

May I ask if you happen to know how I should resolve this error? Thank you so much and have a wonderful day!
tokyoghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 08:28 AM   #5
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoghoul View Post
Could not write device
You probably still have the Qualcomm drivers installed and have not installed the WinUsb driver using Zadig. See the instructions on my page.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2023, 02:44 PM   #6
tokyoghoul

Hello! I was able to find the solution in your EDL Utility page ^_^ I substituted the loader with the one you specified for the Tab Ultra C (0014d0e100000000_d40eee56f3194665_FHPRG.bin) and it worked like a charm!
Thank you Renate and thank you Chitter!
Old 09-14-2023, 03:01 PM   #7
tokyoghoul

Hello! I was able to switch out the loader with the one on your EDL Utility site, and it worked like a charm! Thank you Renate and thank you Chitter!
Old 09-22-2023, 01:16 AM   #8
tived
tived began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro and BOOX TAP ULTRA C
WOW! amazing work you have put into this, just looking through the PDF, nice work.

I don't have the courage to do it yet, and not really sure if I need to ;-) Should read, I have no idea! ;-) but I can appreciate good work when i see it.

I have downloaded it, thank you for making it available to the community here!
tived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 08:52 PM   #9
Chitter
Luddite who works in IT.

@tokyoghoul - Glad you got it working!
@tived - Much appreciated! It's nice to hear the feedback.
Old 09-23-2023, 09:38 AM   #10
jabronimus
jabronimus began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab Mini C
Incredible

@Chitter - I want to thank you for taking the time to create this. For someone who states they don't have much technical knowledge - your ability to figure out the seemingly random correct steps to get this to root successfully would suggest otherwise. This worked wonderfully for me for my Tab Mini C. Thank you once again!

Last edited by jabronimus; 09-23-2023 at 09:39 AM. Reason: added in the OP
jabronimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 07:35 PM   #11
Chitter
Luddite who works in IT.

@jabronimus - You're welcome! I appreciate you taking the time to let me know. To be fair, I have been in technical support for many years - so I'm sure that helps. It's just that I don't have any experience in development or much with command line interfaces. I've managed to accomplish lots of technical tasks using the tools others have created and tenaciously searching, reading, testing, and failing. Documentation has always been a strong suit of mine. I saw a need and this was my opportunity to give back. ✌️

Last edited by Chitter; 09-24-2023 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2023, 05:00 PM   #12
vixxovs
vixxovs began at the beginning.

Device: TUC
Hi! First of all really thanks for your work and for the time spent in sharing it with us. In your opinion, do you think it will be possible to root a TUC with a beta firmware ? If yes, I can't use your firmware's image right ? I need a beta one adapted, or wait until 3.5 comes out officially and get the 3.5 rooted fw image. Is this correct ? Thanks again
vixxovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 05:59 PM   #13
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixxovs View Post
In your opinion, do you think it will be possible to root a TUC with a beta firmware?
Yes, but you shouldn't use the boot image posted above from earlier versions.
It would probably mostly work, but you might lose WiFi capability.

You should use EDL to pull a copy of your own boot image.
Then install the Magisk apk and Magisk your own boot image.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 06:15 PM   #14
Chitter
Luddite who works in IT.

@vixxovs, what Renate said, but I'm just chiming in to encourage you to try it yourself. It takes some time to figure out, but you can do it.

Last edited by Chitter; 10-14-2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-13-2023, 04:02 AM   #15
vixxovs
vixxovs began at the beginning.

Device: TUC
Thanks to you both for your replies. I will try to do that for sure but I'm only scared by the possibility to lose the Wi-Fi. Is something I can restore backwards in case of troubles ?
vixxovs is offline   Reply With Quote