Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-02-2022, 02:03 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
To me, there is a big difference between screwing things up, and adding/ improving features.

And I believe the first gen Airpods had a wireless charging case on release.
The case for the Airpods is not able to be charged wirelessly. You can charge the Airpods in the case.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 02:51 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is wrong with the 1st Gen Airpods is the battery.
Advert
Old 11-02-2022, 05:45 PM   #18
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
2nd generation AirPods have better time between charges, support newer version of Bluetooth and pair faster. Sound-wise I think they are identical, and they added wireless charging battery case option (which also works with 1st gen AirPods). I still have a pair of the originals, though the battery is only good for a couple of hours of listening (they took a ride in the washing machine, which didn't help).

I have not had any issues with Ventura or iPadOS 16.1 so far. Apart from not understanding what's so nice about Stage Manager.
I have the Powerbeats Pro and they have 9 hour usage time. Much better design for me than the stupid looking Airpods Pro, and the sound is amazing!
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 09:34 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is wrong with the 1st Gen Airpods is the battery.
Well, when I bought them originally it was 4hours. comparatively good at that time. Now of course you can do better.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 09:35 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I have the Powerbeats Pro and they have 9 hour usage time. Much better design for me than the stupid looking Airpods Pro, and the sound is amazing!
I like Beats Fit Pro. The never squirt out of my ear. But the NC on the new AirPods Pro 2 is much better.
Advert
Old 11-03-2022, 11:00 AM   #21
datostar
Enthusiast
datostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
So far I cannot get Continuity Camera to work. The notes say it needs to be 'properly mounted' whatever that means. It says 'stable', 'near your Mac', 'rear cameras facing you and unobstructed' -- did that, but still no luck.
Needs:
A Mac running macOS Ventura
An iPhone 8 or XR or later running iOS 16
Logged into the same Apple ID account on the Mac and iPhone
*Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled on both devices*
iPhone 11 or later to use the Center Stage and Desk View features
iPhone 12 or later to use the Studio Light feature

Certainly works wirelessly with no problems with my iMac & iPhone XR with FaceTime which has to be already running with the iMac camera light illuminated. Picks up the phone straight away and you can walk around with it if you like. Claimed to work with Zoom too and possibly other video apps.
datostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 05:02 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by datostar View Post
Needs:
A Mac running macOS Ventura
An iPhone 8 or XR or later running iOS 16
Logged into the same Apple ID account on the Mac and iPhone
*Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled on both devices*
iPhone 11 or later to use the Center Stage and Desk View features
iPhone 12 or later to use the Studio Light feature

Certainly works wirelessly with no problems with my iMac & iPhone XR with FaceTime which has to be already running with the iMac camera light illuminated. Picks up the phone straight away and you can walk around with it if you like. Claimed to work with Zoom too and possibly other video apps.
I had all of those prerequisites in place, but it still was not working.

But I just tried again, and it is working now wirelessly. As soon as I launched FaceTime, it 'chimed' and automatically started using the iPhone camera. It puts up a small green circle in upper right corner of each display to indicate that a camera is active.

One thing I did is to enable the Show this iPhone when on Wi-Fi option in Finder. But I don't know if that helped, or what the problem was before.

It's supposed to work with any app that can access the camera. Photo Booth or QuickTime Player for example. However, I cannot get it working with iMovie or Final Cut Pro: launching either of those turns off the iPhone camera. Wonder why not (they do show my built in iMac and Studio Display cameras as import options).
Old 11-05-2022, 10:53 AM   #23
datostar
Enthusiast
datostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Strange quirks here! I can't get mine to work with iMovie either. Phone doesn't show as an input option. It does work with the Parallels Toolbox 'record video' component though and that's 3rd party software.
datostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 01:00 PM   #24
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Also, if a (compatible) video app is active, my phone keeps connecting even if I'm in another room.
Old 11-09-2022, 06:36 PM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I've been playing with Stage Manager a little more, maybe I'll find some use for it. A sympathetic review:

https://www.cultofmac.com/796529/a-s...stage-manager/

A good walk-through:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22...-of-whats-next

I got happier with it (on iPad) when I discovered that you could keep the Dock hidden (you can also hide the app groups on the left).

There are keyboard shortcuts to cycle through views, and zoom the foreground app to full screen (globe+f). However I wish you could un-zoom with globe-f; as it is, evidently you have to grab and drag the handle in lower left corner to un-zoom.

I'm looking forward to external display support (not enough to install the beta however). Perhaps they'll improve a few other things with that release.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:58 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Meanwhile my Dark Mode plugin for Safari has stopped working (when it is enabled, no pages will load). I tried a different plugin, with the same result. Nothing updated overnight, except perhaps Apple's stealth security updates.

Update: 13.0.1 seems to have fixed this problem. Though my MacBook Air (M1), running 13.0.0, never had this issue.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-14-2022 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:28 PM   #27
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

CarPlay is working a lot better with iOS 16. Used to be that just stopping for gas, and starting up again, it would fail to resume half the time, and I'd have to plug the phone in again (wired connection required for our car). Have not had that happen at all lately.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:33 PM   #28
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
What is a stage manager? I have iOS 16 and see no stage manager?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:35 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
What is a Stage Manager do?

Stage managers facilitate communication across all creative and technical departments; act as a right hand to the director; oversee sets, props, lights, and sound; and call all technical cues during performances.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:04 PM   #30
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
It's a new way to organize apps and windows with macOS Ventura and some iPads (M1, M2, A14X)

Available on iPad Air (5th generation), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation and later), and iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation and later).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213315