Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-21-2022, 06:43 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
September 7 event: thoughts on iOS 16, etc.?

For my part, I find the iOS changes not all that exciting. At least nothing has broken that I know of so far.

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-16/features/

(Surely Dynamic Island could be a feature with the 'notch' phones ('Dynamic Peninsula')? And that would give more incentive for app developers to support it?)

I have yet to develop any interest in customizing lock screens.

And we still have to wait for iPadOS 16.1, and Ventura.

https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-...view/features/

https://www.apple.com/macos/macos-ve...view/features/

Will Stage Manager be useful? What about Continuity Camera?

I have talked myself into trading up to iPhone 14 Pro Max, mostly for the improved cameras and display. I'm doubtful that always-on display or Dynamic Island will have much value for me.

Also AirPods Pro. My previous ones went through at least one too many wash cycles, and became deaf (can't use them to make phone calls). Also looking forward to volume control (something they should have added to AirPods 3) and better audio/transparency/noise cancellation. I'll probably continue to use Beats Fit Pro for workouts (and bouts of insomnia) as they are less likely to pop out.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:33 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I've reached a point in my Apple life where I am no longer excited by any releases. I'm still chugging along with 2010 and 2012 MacBooks and mac mini, and my iPad is now 3 or 4 years old. My phone is slightly newer, an SE2020, i did venture into an 11 pro for a while but found it too heavy for my liking, so a downgrade seemed appropriate. I confess I was disappointed that the mini version is n/a for iPhone 14 but no biggie, I'll go second hand again for a 13 mini when I finally have 5G access. iOS16.. nope. 15 is fine for what I do, I don't feel like I'll be missing out on much
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2022, 08:42 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, and just an aside: where is the one-promised Apple Classical Music app (Primephonic acquisition was over a year ago).
Quote:
Primephonic is no longer available for new subscribers and will be taken offline beginning September 7. Apple Music plans to launch a dedicated classical music app next year combining Primephonic’s classical user interface that fans have grown to love with more added features. In the meantime, current Primephonic subscribers will receive six months of Apple Music for free, providing access to hundreds of thousands of classical albums, all in Lossless and high-resolution audio, as well as hundreds of classical albums in Apple Music’s Spatial Audio, with new albums added regularly.
I guess there are a few months left…
Old 09-25-2022, 12:34 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Well, the new AirPods Pro sound pretty great! I still like the Beats Fit Pro form factor better (more secure fit, buttons are easier to operate) but sound wise there's no contest.

I did the personalized spatialized audio thing, I may have to toggle it on and off to see if there's any difference. I do like the more 'dimensional' experience, but plain 'lossless' also sounds great with these buds.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:11 AM   #5
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I bought the new AirPods pros. I don't really use them for music preferring my Shure SE215 earbuds for that. But working from home I use the AirPods (one at a time). The previous version of the AirPods when I upgraded to monterey developed an incompatibility/interference with my logitech bluetooth mouse and keyboard where my voice was garbled. No such problem with the new ones.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2022, 08:07 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I must have picked the wrong iPhone 14 Pro Max color: ship date got pushed to late October.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:02 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I bought the new AirPods pros. I don't really use them for music preferring my Shure SE215 earbuds for that.
Do you use an external DAC with those?
Old 10-01-2022, 05:52 AM   #8
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Do you use an external DAC with those?
With the Shure 215s? Yes, the apple adapter for lightning to 1/8" TRS actually has a small DAC in it. Cirrus Logic CS42L42. It is a 192kz/24bit capable dac. I stream quboz on my iphone and it works nicely. Sound quality is very good streaming quboz hi res files. I wouldn't use it with real headphones, but with good earbuds like the Shure it is just fine. Quboz reviewed the lightning adapter and said it worked and sounded good with all their files put to 192/24.

On another note, the interference of the AirPod pros with my keyboard and mouse is back. It started on updating my work laptop to Monterey. I can't figure it out. I've tried disconnecting the bluetooth devices and connecting them one at a time. But when I get the keyboard, mouse and AirPods pros reconnected it comes back. The only thing that seems to correct it is a reboot of the computer, then all is fine. Go figure.

Last edited by drofgnal; 10-01-2022 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:44 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
With the Shure 215s? Yes, the apple adapter for lightning to 1/8" TRS actually has a small DAC in it. Cirrus Logic CS42L42. It is a 192kz/24bit capable dac. I stream quboz on my iphone and it works nicely. Sound quality is very good streaming quboz hi res files. I wouldn't use it with real headphones, but with good earbuds like the Shure it is just fine. Quboz reviewed the lightning adapter and said it worked and sounded good with all their files put to 192/24.

On another note, the interference of the AirPod pros with my keyboard and mouse is back. It started on updating my work laptop to Monterey. I can't figure it out. I've tried disconnecting the bluetooth devices and connecting them one at a time. But when I get the keyboard, mouse and AirPods pros reconnected it comes back. The only thing that seems to correct it is a reboot of the computer, then all is fine. Go figure.
Thanks.

Maybe try just BT keyboard or just BT mouse with AirPods Pro to see which peripheral might be 'bad' and need to be replaced to make the issue go entirely away.
Old 10-02-2022, 05:29 AM   #10
drofgnal
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Thanks.

Maybe try just BT keyboard or just BT mouse with AirPods Pro to see which peripheral might be 'bad' and need to be replaced to make the issue go entirely away.
I can make the interference go away by cutting one or the other off. But that is a pain. Sometimes I need both when on a meeting. I need to get a hold of logitech and see if they have any ideas, although I believe it to be a mac os issue. (Never happened before Monterey.)