Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-22-2022, 11:06 PM   #16
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I discovered quite by accident that if you select the Info (I) button in the top right corner or the About This Book option, then close the pop-up window, the affordance line will go away. (It reappears and gets stuck again the next time you select an option, but if you're just reading, it will only appear briefly with each page turn then fade away again.)
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:43 AM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It's a little more efficient to just press the < button to go back to Home/Library and tap thumbnail to return to the book.

I just don't understand how this annoyance persists. Don't the developers and testers read books with the app they are working on?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2022, 01:48 PM   #18
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Oh! Thanks! I missed that tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It's a little more efficient to just press the < button to go back to Home/Library and tap thumbnail to return to the book.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:21 PM   #19
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Unfortunately, both Amazon and Apple are terrible at writing code for apps. That they both neglect to resolve buggy code comes as no surprise to me.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:20 AM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Unfortunately, both Amazon and Apple are terrible at writing code for apps. That they both neglect to resolve buggy code comes as no surprise to me.
Yes, it's sad. However, I'm planning to report it once again.
Advert
Old 11-28-2022, 01:31 PM   #21
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I am seeing an annoying behavior on my iPad mini 6 when reading a book with the Kindle app: the ‘affordance’ (line) at bottom center of screen does not go away after dismissing reading options (it disappears a few seconds after opening a book, but bring up options makes it re-appear and then it doesn’t go away after that). On iPhone with TouchID it does not have this issue.

Wondering if this happens on the iPad Air 4th generation as well, since like the mini, it lacks a Home button and thus will display the line when the dock is not shown and the app doesn’t make it go away.
Yep it just happened on my Air 4. I never noticed until you said something about it. Lol.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:10 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Arguably it should be default behavior, or at least a system preference (to disappear automatically). It's not like it ever needs to be there once you are familiar with the idea that swipe up from bottom of screen takes you to Home or to task switcher.

The Apple News app also leaves it visible for some reason.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:56 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

A new update today (6.70):

Quote:
A refreshed UI and improved experience for sending documents and web articles to your Kindle library via the mobile share sheet. You can now send PDF, Word (DOCX), EPUB or other document formats easily to Kindle.
And what do you know? The 'affordance bug' is fixed!

Also fixed is the sort bug with placed Series groups at the top of Author sort, and gone is the horrible video ad that was appearing in the middle of Home page in the iPhone app.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-09-2022 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 10:14 PM   #24
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Also improved in one of the latest app updates is that there are more app sizes available when running Kindle app in Stage Manager (iPad Pro or latest iPad Air). 7 widths, and probably as many heights.

Sometimes a bigger screen is too big, this lets you adjust the reading area to a more appropriate size, and by turning off display of Dock and Recent apps, gives the app more focus.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-17-2022 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:46 PM   #25
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Goodreader claims the Amazon kindle app now shows video advertisements. Anyone see this on their tablet yet? Not me.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 12:20 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Goodreader claims the Amazon kindle app now shows video advertisements. Anyone see this on their tablet yet? Not me.
I saw this for a couple of weeks in the iPhone app a few weeks ago, but thankfully it is gone now. Never saw it on iPad.
Old 12-25-2022, 12:44 PM   #27
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I use the Kindle app on my iPhone 13 Pro pretty regularly and have never seen a video ad. After what Amazon did to their music app, nothing would surprise me.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 02:10 PM   #28
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't noticed it in the iOS/iPadOS apps, but the Fire TV OS is filled with ads. My Show 5 has lots of ads too, even when they are disabled! I prefer using my Apple TV 4K 2022 over my Fire TV Cube 3rd gen. because it has fewer ads, although the 3rd party apps do run better under Fire TV OS than they do under Apple's tvOS 16.
Old 12-25-2022, 06:07 PM   #29
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

The only 3rd party app I'm having any trouble with on Apple TV is Prime Video, ironically.

And while we're at it, the Audible app is a hot stinking mess.
Old 12-25-2022, 06:25 PM   #30
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Every time they update tvOS, apps like Philo TV start acting up. Youtube of course sucks, but that is likely because Google and Apple can’t get along.