Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-26-2022, 04:46 PM   #1
robin_reala
robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Apple Books devtools on macOS Monterey+

You used to be able to access devtools access to iBooks on macOS using a terminal command. Unfortunately when Monterey launched they replaced the old macOS Books app with, as far as I can work out, a copy of the iOS app. As a reading experience it’s fine, but I can’t get devtools to connect to it any more.

Has anyone got a secret way of doing this?

(if you do, there’s a bountied question on ebooks.stackexchange that I’ll happily award you)
robin_reala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:13 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The current documentation has this topic about Using the Book Proofing Tool:

https://help.apple.com/itc/booksasse...#/itc073460726

But it refers to a Books preference 'Enabled Advanced menu in menu bar'. I'm guessing this is what the terminal command did? But the preference does not exist. Looks like they have not updated since last year. I sent feedback FWIW.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:23 PM   #3
robin_reala
robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!robin_reala rocks like Gibraltar!

Yep, I think this was removed as well in Monterey when they replaced the Books app with what seems to be iOS version (presumably using the Catalyst framework). It’s a shame, as it makes debugging complex books considerably harder.

I’ve also submitted feedback about the lack of Web Inspector to Apple via the Feedback Assistant.
Old 10-03-2022, 03:16 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Well, in theory you could install older version of macOS in a VM. I had some success with using VirtualBox but couldn't figure out how to get it to run in a window larger than 1024x768. I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I lost patience.

Parallels would work too but I don't wanna pay for something I only need for a couple of hours here and there. Used to use Fusion a lot, but we had a site license at that workplace.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-03-2022 at 03:20 AM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:26 PM   #5
robin_reala

Problem there is that I’m testing an older version of Books too. Not a bad idea, but ideally I’d like to be testing the version that the majority of people are using.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:10 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_reala View Post
Problem there is that I’m testing an older version of Books too. Not a bad idea, but ideally I’d like to be testing the version that the majority of people are using.
That would be the version of Books that's part of iOS for the iPhone as that's the version most people who have Books have.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:26 AM   #7
robin_reala

Given that the current macOS Books seems to be basically the iOS version (presumably run through Catalyst) then it’s a good first step.

Of course, seeing as macOS Web Inspector can inspect iOS Safari if you plug your phone in with a cable, it’s be nice if iOS Books would also allow the same 🙂