Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-23-2022, 10:16 AM   #1
Elhem Enohpi
Elhem Enohpi began at the beginning.

Device: iOS/Mac w. Apple Books
Sync iBooks highlights, bookmarks, etc., without uploading epubs to iCloud Drive?

In the past, it was possible to sync (i)Books bookmarks, highlights, etc. for personal epubs (not purchased from Apple), between a Mac and iOS, through the cloud, without turning on iCloud Drive for the Books app, or uploading personal epubs to iCloud Drive. Although the sync still seems to work between two Macs, I don't seem to be able to do it with current iOS.

Has this type of syncing been removed from iOS? Is it now required to upload to iCloud Drive?

Using iOS 9.3.6 for example, it was possible to do this by turning on Settings > iBooks > Sync Bookmarks and Notes, and Sync Collections, while having Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive > iBooks turned off. Books were not uploaded to iCloud Drive. The highlights etc. were synced using the Apple ID used for iTunes/AppStore/iBooks purchases, which is not necessarily the same as the Apple ID used for iCloud. Books could be synced from the Mac with a cable, with Books disabled in iCloud Drive. The Mac's Books Preferences > General > Sync: "Sync collections, bookmarks and highlights" is checked, and highlights and bookmarks were synced through the cloud, in real time.

I got a new device with iOS 15, and there is only Settings > Books > iCloud Drive, and Reading Now. Below this, it says "To enable syncing across devices, sign in to iCloud and turn on iCloud Drive in Settings". I haven't done that, but I think it will trigger the books that I synced with a cable from the Mac, to be uploaded to iCloud Drive, which I don't want. But I can't see how to get the highlights and bookmarks to sync without that - none of the books on the new device have their bookmarks.
Elhem Enohpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 04:12 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elhem Enohpi View Post

I got a new device with iOS 15, and there is only Settings > Books > iCloud Drive, and Reading Now. Below this, it says "To enable syncing across devices, sign in to iCloud and turn on iCloud Drive in Settings". I haven't done that, but I think it will trigger the books that I synced with a cable from the Mac, to be uploaded to iCloud Drive, which I don't want. But I can't see how to get the highlights and bookmarks to sync without that - none of the books on the new device have their bookmarks.
I think you just need to have iCloud option for Books turned on.

The Reading Now can be on, if you also want that status synced. If you also want book to upload to iCloud Drive then turn on iCloud option for Books settings.

Quote:
To keep your Books information updated across your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, sign with the same Apple ID on each device, then do the following:
  • Sync Reading position, bookmarks, notes, and highlights: Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud, then turn on both iCloud Drive and Books.
  • Sync Reading Now, Library, and collections: Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud, and turn on both iCloud Drive and Books. Then go to Settings > Books, and turn on Reading Now.
https://support.apple.com/guide/ipho...phc1af7c57/ios

Of course, that assumes it works as described.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:23 AM   #3
datostar
Enthusiast
datostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
iCloud Syncing

Works for me. I have iMac, iPad Pro, iPad mini and iPhone all syncing perfectly via iCloud Drive.
datostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:01 PM   #4
Elhem Enohpi
Elhem Enohpi began at the beginning.

Device: iOS/Mac w. Apple Books
Thanks for the replies. I'm specifically looking for how to sync bookmarks, highlights, reading position, etc. without uploading my books to iCloud Drive. I've transferred the books from the computer to the phone with a cable. I don't want the books themselves in iCloud Drive. This worked fine on older iOS, but doesn't seem to work anymore.

Quote:
I think you just need to have iCloud option for Books turned on. ... If you also want book to upload to iCloud Drive then turn on iCloud option for Books settings.
I don't want it to upload to iCloud Drive. But there is no other iCloud setting on the phone that I can see. There used to be "Sync Bookmarks and Notes" and "Sync Collections", which would work without iCloud Drive. But those are gone now. The instructions:

Quote:
Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud, then turn on both iCloud Drive and Books.
result in the books getting uploaded to iCloud Drive, which I don't want.

Quote:
Works for me. I have iMac, iPad Pro, iPad mini and iPhone all syncing perfectly via iCloud Drive.
But you have your books uploaded to iCloud Drive, right? That's what I'm trying to avoid. I just want to transfer the books with a cable, not upload them to iCloud Drive. I don't want to use up the space in iCloud, I want to be able to put only select books on the phone and not my whole library, and also I have a different Apple ID for Books (the one I use for purchases) than the one I use for iCloud.

I want to continue to use the old way of syncing, before Books in iCloud Drive was a thing. That's how I've always done it, and it still works between two Macs, one on Monterey and one still on Mojave. So is it really the case that it's no longer possible with iOS, and you're now forced to use iCloud Drive?

Last edited by Elhem Enohpi; 07-27-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Elhem Enohpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ibooks, sync