Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2021, 12:46 AM   #46
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I haven't looked at that, but as an educated guess, this would just be a QDateTime as a QVariant encoded via a QDataStream (I have some code which can read a QDataStream here if you don't want to dig through the Qt source code).
Sorry I looked at this but it is beyond my paygrade.

I'm just trying to get an idea as to what the hell "\0\0\0\x10\0%\x94h\ x3!>i\x2" means and how that could possibly map into some sort of a time structure. Presumably the "\"s are separators but the"x10", "0%" and x94h".... ???
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:41 AM   #47
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschucha View Post
Sorry I looked at this but it is beyond my paygrade.

I'm just trying to get an idea as to what the hell "\0\0\0\x10\0%\x94h\ x3!>i\x2" means and how that could possibly map into some sort of a time structure. Presumably the "\"s are separators but the"x10", "0%" and x94h".... ???
That's raw binary data encoded as text with non-ascii-printable characters escaped. If my guess is correct, it would start with the QVariant header (uint32 0x10 for QDateTime, uint8 0 for non-null), then the QDateTime which is made of a QDate (uint32 encoded Julian date) followed by a QTime (uint32 ms since midnight).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:51 AM   #48
Browning7
Browning7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Classic, Viewsonic
Unhappy New Kobo Upgrade as of March 25th-Can we go back?

I have several Kobo readers, two of which are Claras. I needed to initiate my last Kobo using the desk top, and boy do I hate the new version of the software. As has been the previous case, the desk top, is very buggy. But the removal of various customizable features, like the ability to not have reading statistics has been removed. WHY? Also the ability to display page progress has been restricted. Is there any way one can install a previous version?

I take it that the developers of this program do not consult this forum, as why else would the take such a hateful feature as reading statistics and force it upon readers. I would dearly love to go back to a previous version as this new upgrade has lessened my reading enjoyment considerably. Any way to do so or perhaps a different system?
Browning7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning7 View Post
I have several Kobo readers, two of which are Claras. I needed to initiate my last Kobo using the desk top, and boy do I hate the new version of the software. As has been the previous case, the desk top, is very buggy. But the removal of various customizable features, like the ability to not have reading statistics has been removed. WHY? Also the ability to display page progress has been restricted. Is there any way one can install a previous version?

I take it that the developers of this program do not consult this forum, as why else would the take such a hateful feature as reading statistics and force it upon readers. I would dearly love to go back to a previous version as this new upgrade has lessened my reading enjoyment considerably. Any way to do so or perhaps a different system?
4.26.16704 is not buggy. If it was, there would already be multiple posts about it given how long 4.26.16704 has been out.

Yes you can go back. But how you do it depends on how far back you want to go. So what version firmware do you want to go back to? You can either install an older firmware over the existing firmware or you have to do a full reset and start over and then install the firmware you want as well as all eBooks. If you do go back, you cannot sync or you'll update the firmware. So no downloading eBooks directly from Kobo or using Overdrive.

What's the issue with the reading statistics? I don't use them and I don't find them obtrusive. If by page progress you mean page number, you can display page numbers in the header and the footer. You just have to go to the reading settings to configure them.

So what exactly don't you like with the current firmware? Please be specific instead of general.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-25-2021 at 11:03 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #50
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning7 View Post
I have several Kobo readers, two of which are Claras. I needed to initiate my last Kobo using the desk top, and boy do I hate the new version of the software. As has been the previous case, the desk top, is very buggy. But the removal of various customizable features, like the ability to not have reading statistics has been removed. WHY?
Probably because users asked that for it. It doesn't make sense that the reading stats were hidden when the data sharing option was turned off. The two things are unrelated and shouldn't be linked.

What firmware version did you come from? The change to not hide the reading stats when the data sharing option was turned off was made over a year ago. And was discussed at the time. Actually, I think it was discussed a month or so afterward the firmware was released that contained the change. And only then because someone was trying to reset the stats and noticed the change. That's how little people cared about this "hateful" feature.
Quote:
Also the ability to display page progress has been restricted. Is there any way one can install a previous version?
In what way has this been changed? The last time this was changed, it added more options to display the page number. Including hiding them completely. That change was over two years ago. And was extensively discussed as it did include one change in behaviour that people disagreed on. Though they also disagreed on the behaviour it replaced.
Quote:
I take it that the developers of this program do not consult this forum, as why else would the take such a hateful feature as reading statistics and force it upon readers.
"Hateful"?????? A page that is in an unobtrusive place and takes several taps to get to. It isn't exactly hard to ignore. But, Kobo doesn't do these things without a reason. I bet they had a lot more complaints that the reading stats were hidden when the data sharing option was turned off than they have had complaints that it now can't be hidden.

And for the record, the stats were always being collected. Toggling the data sharing option resets them, but, even when you couldn't go to the reading stats page, they were being collected and stored in the database.

And no, Kobo does not consult this forum. This forum is in no way an official support forum. In fact, as I have said previously, the members of this forum are not part of Kobo's target market. Or the target market of the other ereader vendors such as Amazon or tolino. We are in no way typical users and our requirements are different from others. And there are far to few of us to actually make a noticeable impact on the number of devices they sell.
Quote:
I would dearly love to go back to a previous version as this new upgrade has lessened my reading enjoyment considerably. Any way to do so or perhaps a different system?
I'm completely baffled by how these changes could "considerably" lessen your reading experience. Maybe you can explain exactly how so that we can understand where you are coming from. At least, explain what the change to the page progress was as I honestly don't know what is missing.

As to rolling back the firmware, that can be done and has been discussed in this forum many times. A search will find it. Same goes for alternative reading apps. KOReader and Plato are available and highly recommended to people that don't like the Kobo software for some reason. Instructions for installing and using them are easily found in the forum.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:26 PM   #51
Alastair_S
Zealot
Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
There was a patch that prevented reading stats from being shown after you finished a purchased book - see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3932626 - unfortunately it does not seem to work with the current firmware release.

However the trick of resetting the reading time to zero still works. To reset the clock first make sure that WiFi is off then from the Home Screen select "More" > "Settings" > "Energy saving and privacy" go to page 2 and toggle "Automatically share data about the features you use:" On and then Off. Now go back to the Home Screen and check the Reading Stats ("More" > "Activity") and you should find all of the time related statistics reset to zero.
Alastair_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #52
a55mh
a55mh began at the beginning.

Device: Poke 3
I have Upgraded My Kobo Glo with this Firmware. there is bug, I cant open My Book, but i can open the book via "author" menu. its frustating. OH and I already installing patch
a55mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:01 PM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a55mh View Post
I have Upgraded My Kobo Glo with this Firmware. there is bug, I cant open My Book, but i can open the book via "author" menu. its frustating.
What are you actually doing? If you cannot get to "My Books", how are you getting to the author list?
Quote:
OH and I already installing patch
The first thing to do is to remove the patches. While I am not sure what you are doing, what you describe above does not sound like any problem I have heard of. It could be a patch that is breaking things.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:27 AM   #54
a55mh
a55mh began at the beginning.

Device: Poke 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What are you actually doing? If you cannot get to "My Books", how are you getting to the author list?
sorry i couldnt describe it really well. I mean the menu beside My book, that listed your unread books, sorted by author name (but in my case only 1 author there, should have 3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The first thing to do is to remove the patches. While I am not sure what you are doing, what you describe above does not sound like any problem I have heard of. It could be a patch that is breaking things.
The problem actuallu happen before patching, and the paatch didnt help at all.
well I will try to downgrade the firmware to 2020 ver.
a55mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:14 AM   #55
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
sorry i couldnt describe it really well. I mean the menu beside My book, that listed your unread books, sorted by author name (but in my case only 1 author there, should have 3).
I'm still not sure what you mean. I don't have "My Book" anywhere on the device that I can think of. There is "My Books" on the home screen as a tile showing three books and at the bottom of the screen. When I tap either of those, it displays lists with four tabs at the top: "Books", "Authors", "Series" and "Collections".

To see the unread books, I tap "My Books", then the "Books" tab and see a list of books. Then I tap the "Filter" drop down and select "Unread".

I can see the list of authors by tapping the "Authors" tab when in the "My Books" screens. That shows the list of all authors for my books. Is this the place you are talking about? I have never noticed a missing author, but, I have enough books and hence authors that it would be hard to prove that some were missing.

If it is the author list, this is built from the authors for all your books. Kobo treat the comma as the separator between multiple authors. If the books have something like "FN1 LN1 & FN2 LN2", it will be treated as one author. But, if you are missing authors in the author list, what is actually missing? If you only have one and think it should be three, then you should be able to see what authors are missing. It's possible there is a bug with the author name handling. But, if we know what it missing, maybe we can work out why. And you will have details to report to Kobo so that they can fix the bug.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #56
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Check the filter. (Left side, third line) If you have the filter set to anything except "all" you won't see all your books.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:42 AM   #57
genfersee
genfersee began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino
Did anybody try to install firmware 4.26 on a Tolino Shine 3?
Or is there some HW version preventing that?
genfersee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:57 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by genfersee View Post
Did anybody try to install firmware 4.26 on a Tolino Shine 3?
Or is there some HW version preventing that?
If you want to run Kobo firmware, you'll have to buy a Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:09 AM   #59
mzel
Connoisseur
mzel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you want to run Kobo firmware, you'll have to buy a Kobo.
I thought it is the same hardware unit?
mzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:25 AM   #60
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzel View Post
I thought it is the same hardware unit?
People have tried to boot the Tolino's from Kobo images and the other way round. It doesn't work. There is probably something you could fiddle with to change this, but, I don't think anyone has bothered looking.

Tags
firmware, firmware release