Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-27-2018, 04:39 AM   #1
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Why buy a MacBook Pro?

I've been a lifelong PC user, but have always had a hankering for a MacBook. I'm just not sure that I can justify getting one. They're expensive, and really, what can it do that I can't do with my desktop or laptop PCs?

I am going to start travelling by train more frequently soon, so I'd like a new laptop as the one I have isn't up to much. But do I buy a new Windows laptop, or the aforementioned MacBook?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone out there who uses a MacBook, and what for (and perhaps what software you like to use). The kinds of things I will be using a laptop for are as follows:

- writing novels and short stories
- web surfing
- watching movies
- a small amount of graphic design (mostly book covers)
- maybe playing games (principally FPS)
- and visiting MR, of course...

So, any thoughts? I haven't decided which MacBook model I would go for either, but that's another topic.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:00 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Do you mean "why buy a Mac", or specifically "why buy a Macbook Pro"? The MacBook Air is a lovely little device and very portable; only go for the Pro if you really need the features. Which it doesn't sound like you do unless your gaming requires it. The optimal gaming machine is usually a console, not a little consumer laptop.

On software - I haven't done serious writing for a long while, but when I did I used Mellel. For basic writing, I just use TextEdit. Web surfing: I like Firefox, others like Safari or Chrome. Movies: VLC. Graphic design: GraphicConverter is decent in the affordable category, though obviously there's all the high-end stuff.

I always buy refurbs directly from Apple. A decent discount and the same warranty.

Last edited by meeera; 06-27-2018 at 05:07 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2018, 06:30 AM   #3
Midsommer
Midsommer began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note8
I like how introspective you are >)
Apple products are known to be more expensive when compared to other brands with similar performance. I used MacBook Pro for work, I doubt I would buy it for personal use. As it has been said on many occasions - https://www.techradar.com/reviews/macbook-pro – Apple products have a really opinionated design, which is something that I admire in theory. If you aren’t hardcore gamer, you will be OK with using Mac, but PC and consoles are more optimal choices for that purpose.
Writing can be done with anything, including cheapens PC possible with free Linux installed.
But working with graphics is more demanding, unless you do some coloring pages in Paint - http://colorkid.net/coloring-pages-n...ng-pages-trees
All in all, buy it if you have plenty of cash, but not enough interest in technicalities.
Midsommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Do you mean "why buy a Mac", or specifically "why buy a Macbook Pro"? The MacBook Air is a lovely little device and very portable; only go for the Pro if you really need the features. Which it doesn't sound like you do unless your gaming requires it. The optimal gaming machine is usually a console, not a little consumer laptop.

On software - I haven't done serious writing for a long while, but when I did I used Mellel. For basic writing, I just use TextEdit. Web surfing: I like Firefox, others like Safari or Chrome. Movies: VLC. Graphic design: GraphicConverter is decent in the affordable category, though obviously there's all the high-end stuff.

I always buy refurbs directly from Apple. A decent discount and the same warranty.
You're right, I mean should I go Mac or not? The MacBook Air is something I've looked at briefly and thought it looked a bit underspec'd (but that's my gamer mentality getting in the way, as I don't think I'd be using it for serious gaming). Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:45 AM   #5
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midsommer View Post
I like how introspective you are >)
Apple products are known to be more expensive when compared to other brands with similar performance. I used MacBook Pro for work, I doubt I would buy it for personal use. As it has been said on many occasions - https://www.techradar.com/reviews/macbook-pro – Apple products have a really opinionated design, which is something that I admire in theory. If you aren’t hardcore gamer, you will be OK with using Mac, but PC and consoles are more optimal choices for that purpose.
Writing can be done with anything, including cheapens PC possible with free Linux installed.
But working with graphics is more demanding, unless you do some coloring pages in Paint - http://colorkid.net/coloring-pages-n...ng-pages-trees
All in all, buy it if you have plenty of cash, but not enough interest in technicalities.
Your note is kind of underlining why I'm asking the question, as I can't yet see a compelling reason to go Mac. The only thing so far that's leaning me that way is that I use Scrivener for my writing, and (at the moment, at least) version 3 is only available on MacOS, not Windows, though it is coming.
Advert
Old 06-27-2018, 06:49 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
You're right, I mean should I go Mac or not? The MacBook Air is something I've looked at briefly and thought it looked a bit underspec'd (but that's my gamer mentality getting in the way, as I don't think I'd be using it for serious gaming). Thanks for the suggestion.
I think an Air would be a perfect Scrivener machine, but it all depends what you value. Switching OS always involves a little friction as you figure out how to do things. If you can't be bothered with that, it may not be worth it. The Pro is "pricey for the parts", as the techradar article mentions, but the Air rather less so, and some people find that the whole is not purely the sum of the parts.

As an aside, I've been surprised and impressed by the physical build quality of the Air. My kid has had one for school, in an STM shell case, for about three years now. Ages 12-15, which I think we can all agree are not the most careful ages that exist. The STM case was broken once (and replaced under their no-questions-asked warranty), but the machine is virtually good as new.

Last edited by meeera; 06-27-2018 at 06:57 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote