Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-08-2018, 12:43 AM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Bookerly has also been tweaked. It's a little lighter now and feels much more like a real print typeface to me. (Though obviously getting something that really looks like print requires a boost of res from 300dpi to something more like 1200. That's not coming any time soon!)

Bookerly plus a somewhat emboldened Quattrocento for me, I think. I wonder how good the OTF support is? MOAR LIGATURES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyjam View Post
I've taken screenshots before and after. I see no difference.
The version number embedded in Bookerly hasn't changed and the visual appearance looks the same on my KA1. OTOH, the way the renderer handles the fonts may have changed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:44 AM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Finally, I can use Courier New!
Why would you want to use a monospaced font other than for computer printout look?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2018, 01:08 AM   #33
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Installed on my Voyage. Added three different fonts to the Voyage and was able to then change to a font I had added for the book I was reading. But when I went back in to the font menu, my custom fonts were no longer showing up. I tried a couple different books without success. A restart didn’t help. Will play with it some more this evening when I get home from work.
My post from earlier above...when I hooked up my reader to computer, I noticed that one of the fonts I'd installed--Lexia Dama (otf) had been renamed by the Kindle as "incomatible Lexia Dama" or similar. All four versions had been renamed as such. Found a different copy of the font and re-added it to the Kindle.

So far so good--all three of my sideloaded fonts are working. (Fingers crossed that this continues.)

Don't know why the first version of Lexia Dama didn't work--maybe there was some minor corruption in the files I had.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:15 AM   #34
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
Can’t wait to load the update on to my Oasis 2. Can anyone recommend a free font that is similar to Amasis? I really liked the way it looked on my Sony T-1...
Have you tried these fonts? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:56 AM   #35
litemotif
Enthusiast
litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook; Mini, H2O; Voyage, Oasis 2; Galaxy Note 8
Deleted

Last edited by litemotif; 06-10-2018 at 11:22 PM.
litemotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2018, 07:14 AM   #36
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Well, they finally added a feature I am totally clueless how to use. I wouldn't even know where to get started, where to get the fonts, etc. But good for those that been wanting that without having to do the hacking whatever they had to do for it.
Yeah, I'm ok with the builtin fonts BUT this is a step in the right direction. I just wish they'd add the current book cover as screensaver option. If they would, then I wouldn't need to jailbreak!
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #37
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Why would you want to use a monospaced font other than for computer printout look?
Irony.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #38
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
I missed those. I’ll give them a try, thanks!
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #39
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
Finally, Comic Sans on the Kindle!
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #40
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I was excited to read about this and thought I'd finally actually read on my PW2. But it seems this update is only for 7th generation or higher readers, correct? So my 6th Gen PW2 is still a paperweight?

Edit: NM, I take it all back. The reader kept saying there were no updates, but I found where to manually download the update and got it installed and it's working. Too bad it took them so long to implement common features that other readers have had for ages. I think I'm too entrenched into Kobo's readers to actually want to switch reading, but time will tell when my Glo HDs die.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 06-08-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #41
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
So my 6th Gen PW2 is still a paperweight?
The 6th generation PaperWhite is the original (PW1) model. The 7th generation is the PW2. You should check your device to see which you one you have.

(If it is the 6th generation PW1 then you are out of luck. Amazon stopped releasing new firmware for that model several years ago.)

My mistake. See below.

Last edited by jhowell; 06-08-2018 at 11:00 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #42
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I was excited to read about this and thought I'd finally actually read on my PW2. But it seems this update is only for 7th generation or higher readers, correct? So my 6th Gen PW2 is still a paperweight?
How did you get this idea?
Update for KPW 6th generation is here
Old 06-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #43
Lady Stardust
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The 6th generation PaperWhite is the original (PW1) model. The 7th generation is the PW2. You should check your device to see which you one you have.

(If it is the 6th generation PW1 then you are out of luck. Amazon stopped releasing new firmware for that model several years ago.)
I thought KPW has 3 generations, 5th (KPW1), 6th (KPW2) and 7th (KPW3). 5.9.6 is available for 6th and 7th. Or am I counting wrongly?
Old 06-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #44
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I thought KPW has 3 generations, 5th (KPW1), 6th (KPW2) and 7th (KPW3). 5.9.6 is available for 6th and 7th. Or am I counting wrongly?
You are right. I had a brainfart!

PW2 is 6th generation and still receives firmware updates.

PW1 is 5th generation and no longer updated.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #45
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
How did you get this idea?
Update for KPW 6th generation is here
From the top of this page, where it lists only 7th, 8th Gen and Fire Tablets. I'll admit to not reading the full page.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You are right. I had a brainfart!

PW2 is 6th generation and still receives firmware updates.

PW1 is 5th generation and no longer updated.
That was part of my problem too. The way Kindle names their devices then starts referring to different generations of them, so you have to go spend time researching which reader you actually have, is really confusing at times. So I had a brief brainfart over it all too until I dug deeper.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote