Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-05-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Pop-Up Footnotes, Asides, and Compatibility

So, I've been working to make ePubs that use the pop-up footnote functionality in EPUB3 and iBooks, and I'm having some difficulty.

It seems like no matter what I do, either the pop-up doesn't work in iBooks, or it refuses to work properly in older readers. I was putting the id for my link targets into the <aside> elements of my footnotes in the final XHTML file, and iBooks likes this, but older, ADE-based readers like Kobo would just follow the link to the front of the XHTML document and stop there.

Then I moved the ID to the paragraph inside the aside tag, and the older readers liked this again, but iBooks stopped responding to the link at all.

Is there a way to make them both happy, so that iBooks will create the pop-up and other readers will just follow the link?
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
Is there a way to make them both happy, so that iBooks will create the pop-up and other readers will just follow the link?
If the book contains only a handful of footnotes, you could achieve compatibility with older versions of RMSDK/ADE by creating separate pages for each aside footnote definition.
Attached Files
File Type: epub footnote_test_epub3.epub (4.5 KB, 245 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #3
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
There's about 85 of them, but I suppose it's at least an option.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote