Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 04:00 AM   #46
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I had the same "issue" and was worried for a few moments until I found the "hide books" thingy...very strange.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #47
micro
Connoisseur
micro doesn't littermicro doesn't littermicro doesn't litter

Device: STAReBOOK STK-101
Well, so far so good.

2 hours solid reading with no crash, bomb or even general flakiness.

I'm not sure but it does seem that page turns take longer. Well, not the turn itself, but the time between pushing "next" and anything happening. Its not instant and there is a definate lag.

Still, IT WORKS!!!!!!

Thanks guys. You rock.
micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2008, 04:33 AM   #48
madmandegge
Enthusiast
madmandegge began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Glad to hear it, I'll try and get a file together today containing all the files you need to carry out the conversion, and I'll compile the method that we seem to have perfected
madmandegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #49
o0-0o
Enthusiast
o0-0o doesn't littero0-0o doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 301+
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Well, they were on the opeininkpot website a while ago, but now were appartently takesn down.

I'll give you the tour if you like:

1.) Download the file Delphidb attached to his post
2.) Extract it to a folder somehwere.
You will find two subfolders, one containing the Cybook firmware, the other containing the Netronix firmware
3.) Copy all files from the Cybook firmware to the root of an empty SD card, put it in the STAReBOOK (or other OEM device) and start it.
With the STAReBOOK you don't have to do anything, with some of the other devices you have to hold doen the center key whily it boots.
4.) The flashing process should now start. Once it finishes successfully you will probably get a checkerboard screen and a non-responding device.

Don't worry, this is normal...

5.) Attach your STAReBOOK to your Computer as usual and you will see the internal memory and SD card just like normal even if you can't see anyting on the eink display apart from the checkerboard.

6.) Now you need to create a folder named "System" in the internal memory of the STAReBOOK and put a file into it that was originally up on Openinkpot but is now also gone. I'll put it up at the end of this post. After you have copied this files into the system folder in the internal memory of the STAReBOOK (I'll upload the whole Deal I got from OpenInkpot, there are some fonts included as well) you restart the device and should now have a fully working Cybook Gen3

Let me know whether it worked smoothly and if you run into problems let me know. You can always flash back to the STAReBOOK firmware or the Netronix one included in the file Delphidb provided, the bootloader works even if something else goes wrong.
Oh, and you will have to delete the fontcache file in the system folder to be able to use all the fonts. This seems to be a cybook issue.
Will this work on Astak Mentor Lite (a EB600 device)?
o0-0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:03 AM   #50
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I'm sorry, but I really can't say. If the hardware is the same as the Cybook or the STAReBook, then your chances are quite good, if it's a newer and/or different hardware then you're out of luck. I don't know much about the Astak Mentor, from the picture I just found it looks like the STAReBOOK, so it might just work.
Use at your own risk though...
I'm not sure if the files are even still out there though...if you can't find them on the net then send a PN and I'll search my archives, can't promis I still have it though...^^
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #51
o0-0o
Enthusiast
o0-0o doesn't littero0-0o doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 301+
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I'm sorry, but I really can't say. If the hardware is the same as the Cybook or the STAReBook, then your chances are quite good, if it's a newer and/or different hardware then you're out of luck. I don't know much about the Astak Mentor, from the picture I just found it looks like the STAReBOOK, so it might just work.
Use at your own risk though...
I'm not sure if the files are even still out there though...if you can't find them on the net then send a PN and I'll search my archives, can't promis I still have it though...^^
I tried but it did not work. It stopped at step 4. The flashing never begins nor finishing.
I suspect that STAReBOOK is a EB100 device whereas Astak Mentor is a EB600. The controller is different as suggest by https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EB-600.
Thank you for your advice anyway.
o0-0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #52
Qxr
Enthusiast
Qxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it is

Device: lbook V3, iRex DR800SG
delphidb96,
CommanderROR,

Thanks a lot for your posts, this solution worked for my old reader just perfectly! However, I failed to upgrade the Cybook software anymore (has tried v1.5 and v2.1). Has any of you guys managed to? I would appreciate learning the secret. Thanks!
Qxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #53
oasis
oasis began at the beginning.

Device: STK 101
Hi guys, I have a stk101 which I updated the firmware to Cybook gen 3 1.1 build 685.

Has anybody managed to get the cybook update to version 1.6 or 2.1? I cant seem to get it to work.

Please share the secret lol!
oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:46 AM   #54
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

This is likely the newest version you will ever get to work on the STAReBOOK. It is of course possible to "port" other firmware version, but you would need somebody to modify the Bookeen firmware so that it is accepted by the STAReBOOK. That kind of stuff is beyond my capabilities and I doublt any dev is going to invest all the time and effort for a pretty much dead platform like the STAReBOOK...