Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #1
birkmaggs
Connoisseur
birkmaggs began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy 2
PDF to epub: Does this work for you?

I have tried numerous times to convert from to PDF to Epub, but I get more or less the same results:

Print one full line of text ->
Print one line about 80% of that size ->
Print newline.
Repeat.

The entire books looks like one giant book poetry couplets.

I have tired fiddling with the settings (not systematically) but it always looks the same.

Any ideas?
birkmaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:24 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by birkmaggs View Post
I have tried numerous times to convert from to PDF to Epub, but I get more or less the same results:

Print one full line of text ->
Print one line about 80% of that size ->
Print newline.
Repeat.

The entire books looks like one giant book poetry couplets.

I have tired fiddling with the settings (not systematically) but it always looks the same.

Any ideas?
You can play with the conversion settings (enable heuristics and play with the line unwrap factor value) but my personal choice is to edit the converted epub using Sigil (calibre's builtin editor also works) and using regex to join lines using a saved search&replace. This clears up most of the odd lines and a quick skim locates the rest.

Basically, PDF is a lousy input format for conversion being oriented to displaying text in a very specific manner, on a specific page size and without text reflow.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-20-2018 at 11:30 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 12:44 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by birkmaggs View Post
I have tried numerous times to convert from to PDF to Epub, but I get more or less the same results
Here is calbre's official statement on converting PDF documents.

Also at the top of this forum is a sticky post titled, "Read this before Posting PDF Questions"

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
You will have much better luck buying ABBY Transformer (can often get from their site for about $35). Does a wonderful job on my OCR scans to convert to pub. Then, you can use Calibre to do a spell check and any formatting issues.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:52 PM   #5
birkmaggs
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
You will have much better luck buying ABBY Transformer (can often get from their site for about $35). Does a wonderful job on my OCR scans to convert to pub. Then, you can use Calibre to do a spell check and any formatting issues.

I was using ABBYY, but I made the switch to Ubuntu and it's not available.
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Enable heuristics and change the line unwrap factor to .22. The result should be much better.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:20 AM   #7
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
unwrap factor is the key.

For a first conversion I always switch off all kind of automated cleanups like heuristic because of too much side effects for analyze possible conversion problems. I only add those if I have a identified specific problem.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
birkmaggs
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
Enable heuristics and change the line unwrap factor to .22. The result should be much better.
This worked pretty well