Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-19-2018, 07:08 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
What dietary supplements do you take?

What dietary supplements do you take? And more interestingly, why? And do you have any evidence to support your reasons?

I take several supplements. If there are others that have good evidence for them, I'd like to know about them.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:15 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I take a daily capsule of Lutein, Meso-zeaxanthin and zeaxanthin. These natural pigments accumulate in the macula at the back of the eye, and have been shown to improve contrast detection, and might protect against macula degeneration.

I take a daily Vitamin D tablet, as recommended by the UK government (especially as I work inside all day).

I take a daily B vitamin supplement along with Omega-3 capsules, since the combination may protect against dementia, although there are some meta-analysis that dispute this.

Oh - and I take iron supplements as I give blood regularly, and a couple of times I've been refused because my iron levels were just too low to be allowed to donate.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-19-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
None. In theory, I think I should take a multi-vitamin in case there's a gaping hole in my nutritional profile; in fact, I've never developed the habit. As for additional supplements, my feeling's always been that once you get started, you end up taking handfuls daily. Right now I take no pills or supplements at all and that seems easiest and cheapest.

No flowers by request!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Vitamin D3 - prescribed by my doctor. I usually buy it from Amazon but during the summer the heat in my mailbox makes the soft capsules stick together so I buy it from Trader Joe's.

If I'm outside a lot during the summer I'll take Med-lyte electrolyte tablets (calcium, potassium, magnesium). Today it's supposed to be 96 degrees with a heat index of 100. Also I take these when I'm doing a very low carb diet and I'm peeing a lot.

Oh, and Centrum Silver (age 50+) for Men multi-vitamin.
BenG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Nada. Imo, most are 21st century snake oil giving those who take them expensive pee and thin wallets.

Many studies support this view. Hubby takes a men's multi vitamin.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Fish oil, turmeric complex, and vitamin D, none of which are vitamins. Gave up on iron pills and had an infusion. Most vitamin supplements are useless for people who can eat and absorb nutrients from a varied diet.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Calcium with Vitamin D.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Nada. Imo, most are 21st century snake oil giving those who take them expensive pee and thin wallets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Most vitamin supplements are useless for people who can eat and absorb nutrients from a varied diet.
I tend to agree. But despite this, I've come across enough evidence to convince me to take some.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I'm taking Vitamin D3 + K2 (MK4 + MK7 mix).

A Japanese study of 4,000 people with osteoporosis found a 50% drop in fractures at extremely high dosages of K2. D3 and K2 seem to work synergisticly together. There are suggestions that K2 reduces calcium transport for arteriosclerosis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4566462/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5494092/

Last edited by Greg Anos; 06-19-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I try to get as much as I can from my diet: foods high in antioxidants (blueberries, cacao nibs), omega 3s (flaxseed, chia, walnuts), fermented foods/drinks (yogurts kefir, kombucha) for probiotic purposes, raw apple-cider vinegar (for several reasons, but primarily for it's blood-sugar lowering abilities and improved insulin function), etc...

But I DO still take a multi-vitamin, a fiber supplement, and practice an enteric low-dose aspirin regimen.

You know... the usual.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-19-2018 at 02:36 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:04 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I take a Flinestone vitamin every other day and Iron supplement on the days I don't take the flinestone and three times a month a B12 supplement.

I have Anemia (Iron & B12 deficiency)

I also take probiotics. They help the gut and sinuses.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #12
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
None. In theory, I think I should take a multi-vitamin in case there's a gaping hole in my nutritional profile; in fact, I've never developed the habit. As for additional supplements, my feeling's always been that once you get started, you end up taking handfuls daily. Right now I take no pills or supplements at all and that seems easiest and cheapest.

No flowers by request!
If you eat a balanced diet and don't have any special medical conditions you are probably fine. I know I often don't eat right so I take a multivitamin. I also take calcium because I don't eat dairy products due to lactose intolerance.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #13
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
We do keep acidophilus on hand, the live culture type you store in the fridge. Hubby occasionally needs to be on anti-biotics, and he takes the acidophilus during and after to help restore needed bacteria for digestion.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #14
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Multivitamin for +50 folk, B-2 for migraine prevention, Vit. C & E, folic acid, aspirin. All recommended/ordered by various docs for migraines, brain health, and anti-coagulation.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I'm taking Vitamin D3 + K2 (MK4 + MK7 mix).

A Japanese study of 4,000 people with osteoporosis found a 50% drop in fractures at extremely high dosages of K2. D3 and K2 seem to work synergisticly together. There are suggestions that K2 reduces calcium transport for arteriosclerosis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4566462/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5494092/

Thanks! I'm already taking Vitamin D (as D3), but I'll certainly look into K2.