Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-14-2018, 02:46 PM   #16
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, I suspect you're right, and that it was Chandler. My "I write like..." buddy (remember that old site? LOL...it claimed that's who I wrote like. I should be so lucky....)

Hitch
Yep, if I remember right I think it claimed I wrote like Agatha Christie.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Yep, if I remember right I think it claimed I wrote like Agatha Christie.
We're obviously both underappreciated geniuses.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #18
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Yes, I'm supposed to write like Agatha Christie too. Don't I wish!

Also, gmw, so relieved you aren't actually dumping excised writing!

Last edited by pendragginp; 05-16-2018 at 09:14 PM.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:55 PM   #19
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Just for fun I went back to that site and pasted in part of a story of mine.
Now, I'm told, I write like Ian Fleming.
And also, apparently, on re-entering, like Stephen King. (That one's a head scratcher.)
So why aren't we all hugely famous with zillions of dollars or pounds?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:33 PM   #20
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I dumped in large chunks from a novel I wrote 15 years ago and one I just finished a couple of months ago: both came up Agatha Christie.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:28 AM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I dumped in large chunks from a novel I wrote 15 years ago and one I just finished a couple of months ago: both came up Agatha Christie.
And here I woulda thought Haggard, no? ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:10 AM   #22
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
And here I woulda thought Haggard, no? ;-)

Hitch
I guess not, nor Dent or Leiber either.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:31 AM   #23
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Well, since we're all trying it, I ran three samples through the site (one from my first novel, then a sample from two different short stories). The results were: Stephen King, Anne Rice and Agatha Christie.

I'm not complaining. All three of those have written books I like very much, so I'm just going to assume that I write like them on their good days.

But I do wonder if the site has a sample from Dale M. Courtney. Getting that result could be truly frightening.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #24
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I tested the first chapters of four novels and got Stephen King, Dan Brown, Margaret Atwood and Agatha Christie. Now I just have to decide which certificate I want to post on my website.-)
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #25
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Okay, so I broke down and tried the "I write like..." site. I write like someone I've never heard of (which is okay, because he's probably never heard of me either) - David Foster Wallace. His picture makes him look like a bedraggled & bespectacled Christian Kane. With bad hair.

On the bright side, apparently I don't write like Dale M Courtney, so all is not lost. On the down side, I wanted to write like Dashiell Hammett. Drat.

Thanks for all the suggestions and insights, I am now trying to deal with creepy stalker guy by having a giant robot (called Meeetwo) crash through the wall and smack him one. Thanks for the suggestion, Lemurion. I think that technique could help with a few of my plot blockages!
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:42 AM   #26
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you read about David Foster Wallace? I guess the beard, long (bad?) hair, two page suicide note (although I doubt if I could keep it down to two), and some other details really resonated with me. I'm thinking I might look up some of his work, I'm curious.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #27
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I did look him up. Sadly, the stalking and domestic violence resonated with me.

This may be the perfect case for a discussion of separating the art from the artist.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #28
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

You may well be right. I did see the brief reference to stalking in Wikipedia, but had seen no other reference to that or domestic violence in what I had found.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #29
ZGottlieb
Author: 99c scifi ebook
ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: IPOD
I started writing one minor character as being and ass and a jerk. He wasn't a very nice person. But the more I wrote the story, the more it didn't feel right. I know why should I even care about a minor character. I toned down the hate, and in the end he plays a critical role and is redeemed .
ZGottlieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #30
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I checked the website and typed in some stuff off the top of my head and I got back Ian Flemming too.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote