Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-06-2017, 12:48 PM   #6121
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
There are numerous alternative fonts built into this forum. Why don't we ever use them?
Would using alternative typefaces lead to unneeded attention to the post. I once tried posting with other typefaces and it led to comments that distracted from the discussion.

I'd prefer to post in Times New Roman. It is a typeface that I used to not care for, but I'm finding that I like it. Unfortunately, Helvetica is not an option (I'd like to post in it due to my recent viewing of the movie Helvetica).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #6122
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
I like Times New Roman as well. I'm old school, though. :P

That's the font I used when typing research papers way back when... I was in the UTEP soccer team. Many, many moons ago... We were the worst team in all of the United States. *shaking head*
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:13 AM   #6123
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've noticed in the Harry Potter movies that there doesn't seem to be mechanical printing (including the use of regular muggle ballpoint/felt tip/ink gel pens). It looks like all text is hand written using inked quills. Could it be because wizards/witches use magic to animate pens to do their writing for them (like Rita Skeeter) and thus printing isn't needed. Even if it takes hours to write an entire book, couldn't you just use a spell to magically write the same book over and over again? While it might be slower than mechanical printing, it might be fast enough to produce the needed books since it could be done 24/7.

Could a factor in this might be that wizards/witches are either: (1) Unknowledgeable about muggle technology (I remember in one of the Harry Potter books that Ron didn't know how to use a telephone and in one of the movies Ron's father was curious about Muggles, wondering what the function of a rubber duck was), (2) Due to their ability to use magic non-magical ways to do things are not needed, or (3) Muggle technology disrupts magic.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #6124
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Earlier I came up with a witty reply--I was seeing things psychically. (Yes, I'm a psychic and I'm coming out on the forum this way.) Imaginative, funny stuff was coming to me and then my new roommate... Ugh, you wouldn't believe the things I've gone through with her. She's loony and a jackass--a loony jackass--and I'm stuck with her till I leave this program... This has derailed the thread. I should be posting this on Vent and Rant To Your Heart's Content thread. lol

Tomorrow I'll respond appropriately to your post, Solitaire1. I'll have more energy tomorrow and I'll use the sight to see funny... I can't even think of the right word. So drained. I swear that woman is an energy sucking vampire!!
Old 12-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #6125
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

I've recently returned to occasionally using fountain pens, and it has made me wonder: Are the current types of pens we have (fountain, ballpoint, felt tip, rollerball, gel) the pinnacle of pen development?
Old 12-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #6126
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I've noticed in the Harry Potter movies that there doesn't seem to be mechanical printing (including the use of regular muggle ballpoint/felt tip/ink gel pens). It looks like all text is hand written using inked quills. Could it be because wizards/witches use magic to animate pens to do their writing for them (like Rita Skeeter) and thus printing isn't needed. Even if it takes hours to write an entire book, couldn't you just use a spell to magically write the same book over and over again? While it might be slower than mechanical printing, it might be fast enough to produce the needed books since it could be done 24/7.

Could a factor in this might be that wizards/witches are either: (1) Unknowledgeable about muggle technology (I remember in one of the Harry Potter books that Ron didn't know how to use a telephone and in one of the movies Ron's father was curious about Muggles, wondering what the function of a rubber duck was), (2) Due to their ability to use magic non-magical ways to do things are not needed, or (3) Muggle technology disrupts magic.
The answer to the first question--the Elder Wand (one of the three Deathly Hallows objects) could be used to make a thousand books at a time, but a powerful witch, wizard or elf would have to cast the printing spell. The answer to your second question is--due to their use of all that is magical in the world and their vast knowledge, non-magical ways would impede them or seem mundane, cumbersome and tedious.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #6127
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post

The answer to the first question--the Elder Wand (one of the three Deathly Hallows objects) could be used to make a thousand books at a time, but a powerful witch, wizard or elf would have to cast the printing spell. The answer to your second question is--due to their use of all that is magical in the world and their vast knowledge, non-magical ways would impede them or seem mundane, cumbersome and tedious.
Although they do use running water and other mundane inventions. Oh, plus they buy textbooks for class. Those appear to have been printed, though I don't recall any close up shots in the movies.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #6128
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Although they do use running water and other mundane inventions. Oh, plus they buy textbooks for class. Those appear to have been printed, though I don't recall any close up shots in the movies.
Yes, they do. *pensive* The wizarding world would lose money if students weren't buying textbooks. The bottom line is galleons, sickles and knuts--the wizarding currency. Makes cents. *nods*
Old 12-13-2018, 07:31 PM   #6129
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Concerning Superman, something I've wondered about is how he can watch television? With television and movies, they function due to persistence of vision that allows your eyes to retain an image for a moment while the next image comes into view. However, with Superman's vision abilities he'd just see the screen as a blur of light rather than images. It is possible that with many things involving superheroes you shouldn't think about it too hard.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #6130
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Nor should you change the default font. Yours is quite hard to read. ;P
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:04 PM   #6131
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind

I got a new roommate! Yay! *dancing Woot Bunny dance* No more psychological warfare with former roommate. No more... Oh my gosh, I feel like I'm in a dream. Someone pinch me.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:58 AM   #6132
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
I got a new roommate! Yay! *dancing Woot Bunny dance* No more psychological warfare with former roommate. No more... Oh my gosh, I feel like I'm in a dream. Someone pinch me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5VruwYG.gif
Views:	1881
Size:	771.6 KB
ID:	168398  
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #6133
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
And get my head bashed? Which leads to head banging music. . .
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #6134
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Why don't you see any actual handwriting in Star Wars. Everything is done on computer screens and with other electronic forms, but I don't recall seeing anything as basic as a handwritten note (although it is possible that I saw a sticky note on the Millenium Falcon I don't recall it having actual handwriting).
Old 12-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #6135
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind

Thank you for the thumbnail, drjd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
Why don't you see any actual handwriting in Star Wars. Everything is done on computer screens and with other electronic forms, but I don't recall seeing anything as basic as a handwritten note (although it is possible that I saw a sticky note on the Millenium Falcon I don't recall it having actual handwriting).
Because the Force takes care of it. It does the writing for you on stickies--magical stickies the Force created.

Tags
man boobs, skippy the bush kangaroo, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness