Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #1
Elim
Elim began at the beginning.

Device: none
White Font on Black Background (Kobo Aura One)

Hello again! I first wanted to thank everyone who commented on my previous thread. As someone with fairly extreme photophobia, having the ability to turn off the front light on ereaders is paramount.

Anyway, I’ve been asking around to see if anyone I know has a Kobo device.

My friend’s friend’s mother has a Kobo Aura One. She kindly offered to let me borrow it for the weekend, so here I am testing the waters.

I immediately turned the light off, and I’m really liking it so far. My only question is whether it’s possible to invert the screen. My eyes are able to see white font on a black screen much easier than black font on a white screen.

Is there a hack for that? If so, I’d really love to know! I’m not the most computer savvy millennial, so if possible…super clear instructions would be welcomed.

I also have to know to reset the Kobo back to normal before i return it.

Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks!

~ Elim

Last edited by Elim; 06-02-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Elim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I have a Glo HD, but someone with an Aura II had the method I used work for him, you might check out the thread with the info until someone with an Aura One comes along. Check this thread and the link to the real info.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I could be wrong, but I believe with recent firmware there was the option of adding a line to a config file, it would enable the white on black option. However you can't disable this without going and editing the config file again. Which actually works for you. I'll try and find the relevant information later on.

In the meantime, avoid patching your friends Kobo. Yes it can be undone, but there really isn't a need in this case to patch it.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
Elim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe with recent firmware there was the option of adding a line to a config file, it would enable the white on black option. However you can't disable this without going and editing the config file again. Which actually works for you. I'll try and find the relevant information later on.

In the meantime, avoid patching your friends Kobo. Yes it can be undone, but there really isn't a need in this case to patch it.
You are so right, I think the simplest and least intrusive method would be best for now. How do you access the config file? Honestly, I'm a complete novice to all this.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
Elim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I have a Glo HD, but someone with an Aura II had the method I used work for him, you might check out the thread with the info until someone with an Aura One comes along. Check this thread and the link to the real info.
I'm a little worried about following through, as I don't really understand the instructions and this is a borrowed Aura One. I'll keep it bookmarked, though.

Thank you!
Old 06-02-2017, 10:10 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If you don't mind having the screen always inverted, the easiest way is to add the following lines to the Kobo eReader.conf file (located in the .kobo\Kobo directory):

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
InvertScreen=true
If the [FeatureSettings] header exists simply add the InvertScreen line, otherwise add both lines.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #7
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
you can edit Kobo eReader.conf this is in

KOBOeReader/.kobo/kobo

You'll need to enable show hidden folders, just google for instructions on that using whatever OS you use

ex. show hidden folders windows, or show hidden folders OS X

open that file with either notepad++ on windows, or textedit on OS X and add the following

[FeatureSettings]
InvertScreen=true

it is possible [FeatureSettings] already exists, if it does just add the invertScreen=true under it.

Save changes, then eject the Kobo. You may need to reboot it for this to take effect.

To undo this, just remove whatever lines of text you added to that config file and repeat the steps above.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:24 PM   #8
Elim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
you can edit Kobo eReader.conf this is in

KOBOeReader/.kobo/kobo

You'll need to enable show hidden folders, just google for instructions on that using whatever OS you use

ex. show hidden folders windows, or show hidden folders OS X

open that file with either notepad++ on windows, or textedit on OS X and add the following

[FeatureSettings]
InvertScreen=true

it is possible [FeatureSettings] already exists, if it does just add the invertScreen=true under it.

Save changes, then eject the Kobo. You may need to reboot it for this to take effect.

To undo this, just remove whatever lines of text you added to that config file and repeat the steps above.
It worked! It worked! My befuddled brain thanks you upon bended knee. Your instructions were very clearly and easily understood. I really had no idea how to reveal the hidden folders and locate the necessary file.

I really appreciate it.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #9
moofychops
Connoisseur
moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Now Have Aura One and ClaraHD
I love happy endings. Well done sir.
moofychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #10
gemfabio
gemfabio began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura h2o
Thank you very much.
It's working great!!!
gemfabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #11
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Perhaps Kobo hasn't implemented this feature directly in its menus because it isn't yet ready for prime time. For me, the obviousness of ghosting of previous pages increases with each page turn, when the background is inverted. The "fix" is to increase the rate of screen refresh in Settings. And that's better than nothing when you can't have everything.

oops, I meant to post this in the thread "NIGHT MODE H20 HOW TO?" about the H2O which I have.

Last edited by k9reeder; 01-12-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: posted to wrong thread, sorry
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote