Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-19-2019, 02:43 AM   #676
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicweed View Post
Let me know if there's anything I could do to help with debugging this :-)
If I come up with something, I'll probably post a beta.
Quote:
I hope I didn't get that out wrong, I really appreciate the work you've done. I'm not suggesting your plugin should do something different, you do what you need to scratch your own itch.

I'll have another look around the forums, I might stumble on a useful trick I haven't seen before.
No you didn't do anything wrong. Getting annotations from a Kobo device has been discussed quite a few times in the Kobo forum and I tend to get involved when it happens. I was just pointing you over there so you could find them. And being a bit lazy and not finding the appropriate post myself

Having said that, have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...01#post3215101. That is my summary of what you can do. The only method I can think of that is missing is [thread=]Kobo annotation exporter[/thread] from Toxaris. That is probably the closes to what you want. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with firmware later than about 3.20.x.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:22 PM   #677
MBraganza
MBraganza began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
Question Trouble with Annotations Plugin Configuration

Hi
The imported annotations are added to calibre's Comments column.
However, I am unable to add them to a custom column (eg. while reading a book)
When I select Customize plugin… I keep on getting the same message..."You must restart calibre before you can configure the annotations plugin", even though i have restarted it several times. Please guide.
MBraganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2019, 02:50 AM   #678
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBraganza View Post
Hi
The imported annotations are added to calibre's Comments column.
However, I am unable to add them to a custom column (eg. while reading a book)
When I select Customize plugin… I keep on getting the same message..."You must restart calibre before you can configure the annotations plugin", even though i have restarted it several times. Please guide.
This is happening when you try to open the configuration dialog? If so, can you uninstall the plugin, restart and close calibre and then do the install on the next restart. After installing the plugin, you will need to restart calibre again. Then try configuring the plugin.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:21 AM   #679
MBraganza
MBraganza began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
This is happening when you try to open the configuration dialog? If so, can you uninstall the plugin, restart and close calibre and then do the install on the next restart. After installing the plugin, you will need to restart calibre again. Then try configuring the plugin.
Thanks for the reply. But it still isn't working.
Yes, this is to customise the plugin. As you suggested, I have uninstalled the plugin, closed calibre, restarted calibre, installed the plugin, restarted... same thing same message Can see the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	annotation configuration message.png
Views:	242
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	175147  
MBraganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:59 PM   #680
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBraganza View Post
Thanks for the reply. But it still isn't working.
Yes, this is to customise the plugin. As you suggested, I have uninstalled the plugin, closed calibre, restarted calibre, installed the plugin, restarted... same thing same message Can see the attached image.
Looking at your image, you have calibre 4.4 with the Annotations plugin 1.10.0. I'd suggest looking at message #667 in this thread and trying the 1.10.2 beta attached to the message.

When I installed this plugin, it did require a restart of calibre but after that the plugin configuration dialog came up.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2019, 10:05 PM   #681
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Looking at your image, you have calibre 4.4 with the Annotations plugin 1.10.0. I'd suggest looking at message #667 in this thread and trying the 1.10.2 beta attached to the message.

When I installed this plugin, it did require a restart of calibre but after that the plugin configuration dialog came up.
Good observation. Unless I here anything in the next couple of days, I'll release the update over the weekend.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:42 AM   #682
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to version 1.11.0

I have just released version 1.11.0 of the plugin. This is the same as the recent beta. The changes are:
  • Fix: Problem when couldn't get old annotations.
  • Fix: Support calibre version 4. Use QTextEdit instead of QWebView. Should be compatible with 3.x.

The first is to allow annotations to be retrieved when the existing annotations have been edited. The second is to get the plugin working fully with calibre 4. It should still be compatible with calibre 3.

As usual, calibre will announce the update in the next hour or so. And if there are any problems, please report them here.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:22 PM   #683
Vashyn
Vashyn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Many of my annotations are not recognised. Not sure how to help debugging though.

Also it would be cool to have an option to download annotations, even if the book is no longer on the Kindle.
Vashyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:17 PM   #684
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashyn View Post
Many of my annotations are not recognised. Not sure how to help debugging though.

Also it would be cool to have an option to download annotations, even if the book is no longer on the Kindle.
For the Kindle, the plugin is reading the "My Clippings.txt" file. It tries to match the titles and authors in the file to those on the device. The way the file is written means that there can be entries for books that are no longer on the device. The plugin tries to match the titles and authors to the books on the device and ignores any that don't match. I'm not sure if changing that is a good idea. There is already some complication in doing the match that I'm not sure I want to extend it. And always a problem is that I don't have a Kindle to do any testing, so I am reliant on others.

You can copy the "My Clippings.txt" file yourself and get the annotations from it. It is a fairly simple file to read. And I feel I've seen mention of scripts or sites that will process it for you.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:55 AM   #685
hoyz
hoyz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Due to a "CorruptError: database disk image is malformed" I had my Kobo Aura H2O build a new KoboReader.sqlite. Now I want to import the annotations to Calibre but the plugin only imports the annotations of the books I have already opened with the new database. I have >100 books with annotations, so is there a workaround to opening them all?
hoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:02 PM   #686
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyz View Post
Due to a "CorruptError: database disk image is malformed" I had my Kobo Aura H2O build a new KoboReader.sqlite. Now I want to import the annotations to Calibre but the plugin only imports the annotations of the books I have already opened with the new database. I have >100 books with annotations, so is there a workaround to opening them all?
The annotations come from the database. If the database has been replaced, then there will be no annotations for sideloaded books in the database. For purchased books, any annotations that were synced to the Kobo server should be synced back to the device.

If you are reading epubs or PDFs, the annotations are stored in a second location. This is done by the RMSDK. When you open an epub, the firmware merges the RMSDK version of the annotations with the database version. If there are no annotations in the database, the RMDSK versions are added to the database complete. This is only done when opening the book.

What this means is that if you are reading epubs or PDFs, you can open any that should have annotations from before, and the annotations should be visible to the plugin the next time you try it.

Note: After typing the above, I went to check something about this. There might have been a change to this in recent firmware versions. On the device I checked running 4.19.x, there were no RMSDK annotation files. It has been a while since I checked this, so I don't know what has changed, or exactly when it happened.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:42 AM   #687
hoyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The annotations come from the database. If the database has been replaced, then there will be no annotations for sideloaded books in the database. For purchased books, any annotations that were synced to the Kobo server should be synced back to the device.
Why can't I just copy the annotations from the old database to the new one (Table "Bookmark")? When I did this, I got "TypeError: can't compare datetime.datetime to float".
Old 12-27-2019, 07:49 AM   #688
hoyz

Copying annotations via KoboUtilities instead of the Annotation Plugin works, but is not as useful for me.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:23 PM   #689
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Why can't I just copy the annotations from the old database to the new one (Table "Bookmark")? When I did this, I got "TypeError: can't compare datetime.datetime to float".
You should be able to do that. That error suggest that something went wrong when you did this. I'd need to see the full error to see where it happened to have a guess where it went wrong. It could also be useful to see the data that you inserted in case there is something wrong with it. One of the recent firmware versions was creating bad annotations for epubs with a particular structure.
Quote:
Copying annotations via KoboUtilities instead of the Annotation Plugin works, but is not as useful for me.
I can understand that. The code for both is not shared, so the bugs are also not shared. The error above is probably in the are that is used for preparing to merge the annotations with any existing.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:57 PM   #690
hoyz

Allright, thank you for your help, here comes the full error code:
Code:
calibre, version 3.21.0
FEHLER: Nicht abgefangener Fehler: <b>TypeError</b>:can't compare datetime.datetime to float

calibre 3.21  embedded-python: False is64bit: True
Linux-4.15.0-72-generic-x86_64-with-LinuxMint-19.1-tessa Linux ('64bit', '')
('Linux', '4.15.0-72-generic', '#81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019')
Python 2.7.15+
Linux: ('LinuxMint', '19.1', 'tessa')
Interface language: de
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 6, 3) && Kobo Utilities (2, 9, 0) && Annotations (1, 11, 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.action", line 351, in fetch_usb_connected_device_annotations
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.action", line 379, in fetch_usb_device_annotations
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.action", line 585, in get_annotated_books_on_usb_device
  File "/tmp/calibre_annotations_plugin/KoboTouch.py", line 73, in get_active_annotations
TypeError: can't compare datetime.datetime to float

Tags
sampleexportingapp