Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #1
zaoqi
github.com/zaoqi
zaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Boox c67ml,Note S,Max2,KT3,KPW4,Kobo AurdHD,Touch N905C
Is it possible to format /mnt/us to ext3/4 to block OTA?

At least KT3 could support /mnt/base-us in ext3 format.
I have modified /etc/fstab and used mkfs.ext3, it worked, despite some weird bugs (such as unable to transfer files properly with the computer)
I seem to remember that the OTA update does not support ext3, but I don't have KT3 now, so I can't test it.

Last edited by zaoqi; 11-22-2019 at 08:50 AM.
zaoqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaoqi View Post
At least KT3 could support /mnt/base-us in ext3 format.
I have modified /etc/fstab and used mkfs.ext3, it worked, despite some weird bugs (such as unable to transfer files properly with the computer)
I seem to remember that the OTA update does not support ext3, but I don't have KT3 now, so I can't test it.
Ah, but you evidently never restarted your KT3 ...
The start-up process will discover the "corrupted" (ext3) storage area and reformat it to FAT32 for you.
(And then when the kernel starts up, it will not find the FAT32 setting in /etc/fstab and crash.)
Isn't Amazon so helpful?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:24 PM   #3
pavel-s
Enthusiast
pavel-s began at the beginning.

Device: PW3/4
But why is it not possible to just remove/update the script that responsible for downloading the update (on a rooted kindle)?
pavel-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel-s View Post
But why is it not possible to just remove/update the script that responsible for downloading the update (on a rooted kindle)?
You only have to recode that part of the initramFS that is bundled with the kernel and then get that kernel build signed with Amazon's private key.
(The newer models (PW4 for example) now have the secure boot hardware feature enabled, one of the reasons people are having trouble trying to boot over the serial port.)

Last edited by knc1; 11-26-2019 at 10:30 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:43 PM   #5
pavel-s
Enthusiast
pavel-s began at the beginning.

Device: PW3/4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You only have to recode that part of the initramFS that is bundled with the kernel and then get that kernel build signed with Amazon's private key.
(The newer models (PW4 for example) now have the secure boot hardware feature enabled, one of the reasons people are having trouble trying to boot over the serial port.)
Won't /etc/hosts be helpful then? The kernel itself should make a call via the network, isn't it? If so, there are should be a lot of places where you can block it. Or am I missing something again?
pavel-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:24 AM   #6
ezdiy
Zealot
ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: KT, KPW4, PB740-2
It's entirely doable, some years ago I went a bit further relayouted partition altogether on Kindle 2 - so as to prevent the system partition taking up space (poor thing was like 2GB, and fw root few hundreds mb of space used...). File sync then rigged with mtpd (usb) & samba (wifi).

As a method to block OTA it's overkill, as you're already editing initrd to begin with, and you can do far simpler things there to block OTA.
ezdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:41 AM   #7
zaoqi
github.com/zaoqi
zaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beautyzaoqi does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
The start-up process will discover the "corrupted" (ext3) storage area and reformat it to FAT32 for you.
(And then when the kernel starts up, it will not find the FAT32 setting in /etc/fstab and crash.)
Isn't Amazon so helpful?
I used to restarted it and I didn't find these problems
Old 11-29-2019, 05:45 AM   #8
zaoqi
github.com/zaoqi

Quote:
Isn't Amazon so helpful?
My parameter settings were wrong at the beginning, Kindle seemed to start normally without mounting /mnt/base-us
Probably because my KT3 was not clever