Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2019, 11:12 PM   #1
sdfgg
sdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura about

Device: pocketbook,kobo
Talking 512Gb Confirmed

Dang! I just love this little e-reader, its way faster than the pocketbook Inkpad3 . Its a shame that its the only current kobo model that allows for micro sd storage .

Anyways, following the tutorials from https://yingtongli.me/blog/2018/07/29/kobo-sd.html I was able to upgrade the puny Sandisk Edge 8Gb included from factory for a Samsung evo plus 512Gb [MB-MC512GAEU], in reading and writing about twice the speed (although its debatable if the host of the kobo can take advantage of it) (and for sure A1, A2 new monikers for other high-end SDcards... yeah, almost certain that this device wont be able to take advantage of that, sadly... )

It works, no problem at all, so I hope this helps for those interested

Side note: installing Koreader is worth the hastle (not in the pictures). Koreader FTW for having a file manager which is lacking in the kobo software, this feature is needed when having to deal with so many files
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191203-191515_Gallery.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	175317   Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20191204-050352_Gallery.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	175318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191204-050731_Gallery.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	175319  
sdfgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:29 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfgg View Post
Dang! I just love this little e-reader, its way faster than the pocketbook Inkpad3 . Its a shame that its the only current kobo model that allows for micro sd storage .
Perhaps a firmware update as well? 4.8.10959 is getting a bit dated though you aren't making much use of Kobo's firmware.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:38 AM   #3
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
totally cool
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:47 AM   #4
sdfgg
sdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura aboutsdfgg has a spectacular aura about

Device: pocketbook,kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps a firmware update as well? 4.8.10959 is getting a bit dated though you aren't making much use of Kobo's firmware.
Oh! could it be that the latest firmware adds file explorer functionality? that would be a nice update

Last edited by sdfgg; 12-04-2019 at 06:14 AM. Reason: grammar... or so I tried.
sdfgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfgg View Post
Oh! could it be that the latest firmware adds file explorer functionality? that would be a nice update
No file explorer functionality. Though personally, I prefer using Kobo's firmware search functionality. A lot faster than tapping my way though multiple levels of directories. KoReader does have the ability to search if you are using calibre so metadata.calibre is on your ereader.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Nice! I did a similar upgrade on my Clara HD as well and went with the 64GB Toshiba M203 mSD (product page).

I don't know if it's some sort of nocebo effect, but tapping on the "Go back Home" button from within a book takes ~5 seconds to go back to the home screen. Have you observed this as well or is it my imagination?
xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyclonei View Post
Nice! I did a similar upgrade on my Clara HD as well and went with the 64GB Toshiba M203 mSD (product page).

I don't know if it's some sort of nocebo effect, but tapping on the "Go back Home" button from within a book takes ~5 seconds to go back to the home screen. Have you observed this as well or is it my imagination?
Looked up reviews and seems like it only has 0.7 MB/s random 4K writes. Iirc, SanDisk does around 2.5 MB/s and Samsung EVOs ~4 MB/s

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-c...cards-3640745/

I use a Sony 64GB mSD (rebadged Samsung) on my Glo HD and it actually felt faster after mSD replacement.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:58 AM   #8
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
~5 seconds to go back to the home screen.
This is a lot.

Perhaps you have too many books, a large base.

Or in vain did you change the sd card by choosing such a sd card, because of which everything began to work slowly.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:46 AM   #9
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:

It might be the microSD card you're using - I upgraded my Glo HD (so, older model than the Clara) with a 64GB Samsung card and it felt much faster in everything than before. I also have a huge database file (500mb ca.). The only slowdowns I've experienced are when I have to switch between the books and the collections tabs (I have almost 200...)
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Looked up reviews and seems like it only has 0.7 MB/s random 4K writes. Iirc, SanDisk does around 2.5 MB/s and Samsung EVOs ~4 MB/s

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-c...cards-3640745/

I use a Sony 64GB mSD (rebadged Samsung) on my Glo HD and it actually felt faster after mSD replacement.
Interesting. I did a benchmark of the Sandisk Edge (Crystaldisk) that came with the Clara HD and it has a random 4K write of 0.5MB/s, which in theory, going back to the home screen should feel slower when it is faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
This is a lot.

Perhaps you have too many books, a large base.

Or in vain did you change the sd card by choosing such a sd card, because of which everything began to work slowly.
I only have ~500 books on the device, though some books are around the 100MB mark.

I checked the database size and it's at 110MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
It might be the microSD card you're using - I upgraded my Glo HD (so, older model than the Clara) with a 64GB Samsung card and it felt much faster in everything than before. I also have a huge database file (500mb ca.). The only slowdowns I've experienced are when I have to switch between the books and the collections tabs (I have almost 200...)
I reckon so as well. Unfortunately, I don't have Samsung cards where I'm from and ordering them online plus taxes comes to twice the price of the product. My options were the Toshiba or a Lexar which was even slower (class 4).

The interesting bit is though that the device feels faster, navigating and opening books are snappier as well. It's just the going back to the home screen from a book the issue.

Do you guys reckon it's a cover image issue? Is it redrawing all the covers in the background when I switch to the home screen?
xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Sweet! I now have 64gb on my Clara and it was easy.
I probably won't ever use the whole 64gb, but it does respond faster with a Samsung EVO Plus card.

This is my first Kobo and I had no idea it was so configurable and I haven't even figured out what most of the hacks are for yet.

Thanks for the info and the link!
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:29 PM   #12
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Sweet! I now have 64gb on my Clara and it was easy.
I probably won't ever use the whole 64gb, but it does respond faster with a Samsung EVO Plus card.

This is my first Kobo and I had no idea it was so configurable and I haven't even figured out what most of the hacks are for yet.

Thanks for the info and the link!
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:49 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Interesting. I did a benchmark of the Sandisk Edge (Crystaldisk) that came with the Clara HD and it has a random 4K write of 0.5MB/s, which in theory, going back to the home screen should feel slower when it is faster.

I only have ~500 books on the device, though some books are around the 100MB mark.

I checked the database size and it's at 110MB.

I reckon so as well. Unfortunately, I don't have Samsung cards where I'm from and ordering them online plus taxes comes to twice the price of the product. My options were the Toshiba or a Lexar which was even slower (class 4).

The interesting bit is though that the device feels faster, navigating and opening books are snappier as well. It's just the going back to the home screen from a book the issue.

Do you guys reckon it's a cover image issue? Is it redrawing all the covers in the background when I switch to the home screen?
Except for the covers, the navigation through the UI is all based on the database. But, it should in memory. There will be writes to the database to store the reading status, but, on my devices, there isn't any appreciable time taken to return to the homes screen from a book. Returning to the home page when finishing a book can take a bit longer, but, not much.

Rendering the covers can have an impact, but, it should only happen when going through the library. They are rendered and stored as needed. The cover image for books on the home screen should already be generated if you are returning there from reading. They might need to be read from disc.

Your 110MB database size sounds big for only 500 books. My Clara HD has about 2700 books and the database is about that size. With a 100MB books size, are they comics? If so, each page in a comic is treated as a chapter, which does make the database bigger. You could try compressing the database and see how much space it frees. You need to do a VACUUM using an SQLite database management took, or the database compress in my Kobo Utilities plugin if you are a calibre user.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote