Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What book will get a second chance this year?
Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant #2) by Ben Aaronovitch 3 18.75%
Track of the Cat (Anna Pigeon #1) by Nevada Barr 2 12.50%
Lardner on the Loose (collected short fiction) by Ring Lardner 4 25.00%
Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell 3 18.75%
The Man of Property by John Galsworthy 6 37.50%
The Light of Day by Eric Ambler 2 12.50%
In Times Like These: A Time Travel Adventure by Nathan van Coops 3 18.75%
Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach 5 31.25%
What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe 0 0%
The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami, Jay Rubin (Translator) 0 0%
The Guns of Navarone by Alistair MacLean 2 12.50%
Whose Body? (Lord Peter Wimsey #1) by Dorothy L. Sayers 8 50.00%
Breakup (Kate Shugak #7) by Dana Stabenow 1 6.25%
The End: The Defiance and Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1944-1945 by Ian Kershaw 3 18.75%
The Magic City by Edith Nesbit 6 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #46
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I had known about the anti-semitic comments in Whose Body?, I never would have voted for it. I would have said it's offensive before it was up for the vote in the first place.

Can we dump this book and pick a different one?
I feel you Jon. I run into this problem a ton in terms of homosexuality. I just try to take it in the context of the time and place. I have also discovered that one or two authors who said the most egregious things about gays were closeted themselves.

But if you really feel that it is just petty and pointless, feel free to eviscerate it. I think it would be an interesting talking point.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I feel you Jon. I run into this problem a ton in terms of homosexuality. I just try to take it in the context of the time and place. I have also discovered that one or two authors who said the most egregious things about gays were closeted themselves.

But if you really feel that it is just petty and pointless, feel free to eviscerate it. I think it would be an interesting talking point.
I've been looking online as to whether or not Sayers is an anti-semite or not. There isn't anything definitive one way or the other. I'll read this one just to see what else pops up in it.

I did read King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard and found the racism too much to read any more of Haggard's books. I don't care for the excuse of "That's how it was back then".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2017, 05:24 PM   #48
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I'm going with kindle book and audible companion with Nadia May, just to be a bit different from you David Case ones
I've joined you. I started the David Case version and even though he does an excellent job of voicing the different characters, something about his reading was hard for me to focus on. I started over with Nadia May and I'm getting much more into the story.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:10 PM   #49
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Both are superb readers, and whichever one you prefer, go for it. I've actually got both here, and might just do a quick listen to the Nadia May one just before we start the discussion.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #50
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I started listening to the David Case version. His ability to differentiate the voices to capture the spirit of each character is superb. It's making my commute more fun than usual!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #51
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I started listening to the David Case version. His ability to differentiate the voices to capture the spirit of each character is superb. It's making my commute more fun than usual!
He is a pleasure, isn't he? One of my absolute favourite narrators, though I confess, Nadia May (real name Wanda McCaddon) is my other absolute favourite, so you can't go wrong with either of these narrators. (And this is the real magic of well done audio books -- they actually improve boring things like commuting!)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #52
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
My only real issue with Frederick Davidson is that I've listened to so very many books by him that the voices start to run together. He does a terrific Wodehouse and Robertson Davies, among others.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #53
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I read that he has voiced over 700 books!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:19 PM   #54
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
He is a pleasure, isn't he? One of my absolute favourite narrators, though I confess, Nadia May (real name Wanda McCaddon) is my other absolute favourite, so you can't go wrong with either of these narrators. (And this is the real magic of well done audio books -- they actually improve boring things like commuting!)
Commuting has been transformed from drudgery to a pleasure due to audio books.

I'm truly puzzled by why this one reading was less than engaging for me. When I sit and focus on the reading for a few minutes, I agree his voices are brilliant.

Last edited by Alohamora; 01-05-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #55
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Ugh, I’m having a hard time reading this book, at least I’m over 60% done now
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It's not an easy book to read nor is it all that good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #57
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I know it's the first, but I don't think it's a good gateway book to Sayers; I think it would be better to start with one of the slightly later books, when she had honed her craft.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #58
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Just finished it. I will save my comments for the discussion thread proper but I suspect you're right that this is not the best introduction to the series.

Also, a quick warning to anyone reading the same version as me, which has a section at the end called "This re-issue of Whose Body?" which contains a biography of Lord Peter Wimsey which goes beyond what's in this book. In other words it contains spoilers for later books.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote