Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Can I run Coolreader and Koreader at the same time?

The reason I would like to do so is that I like Coolreader (apart from the labyrinthine menu system) and am used to it, but I would like to have the Koreader file manager so that I can store and browse books via directories.

Perhaps there is an alternative filemanager to Koreader or I can install the filemanager independently of the reader element of Koreader?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Actually, Sergey's Coolreader port will use whatever file structure that is available to it, including one made for Koreader. I recently updated to a more current pbchess package, and notice a number of improvements. One of the neat things is that you can set "Startup" to "Recent books list", which gives you something like Koreader's "History". Once you have selected a book from your "Koreader library" the "Open File" option should open in your Koreader directory structure and the big up arrow should get you to the start of it. Then you can browse just like you can in Koreader.

There is a new "File Manager" added to the launcher tools and games, this is just that and not the file selection process for Coolreader. It is much more useful for actual file management than the limited features in Koreader's "File Manager", especially as it is not restricted to files that are ebooks/documents that the reader can use. It would be of no use for browsing to select a book to read.

You should have what you are looking for already, once you get comfortable with navigating Coolreader's Open File controls. The port of Coolreader is not the same as the Android port, especially as to how it accesses files.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-07-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Ken. I'm looking for a way to install Cool Reader as a single separate "app" that will execute from Nickel. Sergey's package includes a number of games, etc, that I don't want.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Thanks Ken. I'm looking for a way to install Cool Reader as a single separate "app" that will execute from Nickel. Sergey's package includes a number of games, etc, that I don't want.
The pbchess launcher has an autostart feature, which will allow you to start directly into CoolReader, so you won't see any of the games.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:06 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired

I've added some fonts to Koreader and am getting used to it with ksm. It's really nice. But I'll try to add Cool Reader and maybe the notebook app as well.

I installed Coolreader alongside Koreader using Ken's guide:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=240302

It all works great. All hail the developers!

I'll be passing the device to a user less used to ascii and option menus, so I'll try and configure the device to boot or stay within whatever reader they prefer. If they accidentally end up in the ksm or pbchess menu, things could get hairy.

Last edited by Rizla; 06-27-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Advert