Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quit being so vague.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #47
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Press the button beside the screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
And how do I turn page forward when I am holding device in left hand, lying on my right side in bed?
Kacir,

There are physical buttons on both sides of the Simple Nook screen; two on each side.

Initially they are inactive. If you want to turn them on you can assign a role to each one, so holding device in the left hand you could assign back forward to the left two buttons and leave the others on the right off or do vice-versa.

They were a little sneaky. They wanted to say that there was only one button on the simple Nook so that they could slap Kindle. There are actually 5 buttons on the simple Nook but only the bottom-central Nook (home) button is active by default.

You're gonna love the simple Nook!
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #48
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
How about 6 buttons; 1 on top, 1 on bottom, 2 on each side?; = 6?
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #49
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
Kacir,

There are physical buttons on both sides of the Simple Nook screen; two on each side.

Initially they are inactive. If you want to turn them on you can assign a role to each one, so holding device in the left hand you could assign back forward to the left two buttons and leave the others on the right off or do vice-versa.

They were a little sneaky. They wanted to say that there was only one button on the simple Nook so that they could slap Kindle. There are actually 5 buttons on the simple Nook but only the bottom-central Nook (home) button is active by default.

You're gonna love the simple Nook!
I checked out several videos, and the new Nook is THE most interesting device I have seen in a very long time.
It has touch screen, so you do not have to click and click and click to move in menu, and for turning pages you have *configurable* buttons, right under the thumb, that are very similar to buttons on my beloved PocketBook 360.
Also the back side isn't flat, so you can grab the device properly.
Now I would like to see how configurable the device is (I am spoiled rotten with my PocketBook360) and how difficult it will be to install other stuff to the Android 2.1 the device has.

My previous comments were aimed at people that were describing turning pages by swipes on the new Kobo as great thing.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #50
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Regarding Nook, I'm very interested to see how effective its 'Fast Page(TM)' feature is. One of the problems with eink devices has always been that you can't flip through a book quickly.

Yes, and it would be nice if B&N sanctions android apps to extend functionality (Dropbox access, web browser, Chess, etc.). With the touch interface, it's much less limited than Nook 1ed was in that respect, even though it too 'ran on Android'.

By doing this, they also counter Kindle's capability to run 'apps'. Though I must say, Kindle apps are a joke.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #51
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I really like the look of the new Kobo. Very swish? But one button? That's a showstopper for me. The best combination is touch-screen AND buttons.Swiping the screen is handy sometimes (in bed, one-handed funnily enough), but I mainly use buttons for page turns. Bottom line--you can't have enough control options.

I think the Nook looks more bulky, but 5 buttons? Now you're talking.

So what will Amazon do? They must react if they wish to dominate the market. Sorry Kindle owners, but the K3 looks like yesterday's tech next to the new Nook and Kobo. I have no doubt Amazon will release touch. It's also nice that other companies will force Amazon to support Epub.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #52
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Amazon will "react" to the new Nook the same way they did to the Nook classic: by coming out with a next gen Kindle when they're ready.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #53
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A touch screen upgrade to the KDX would be nice. I don't know if the IR touchscreen works at that size, but the keyboard on the existing KDX seems awkward.

A 6" K4 could either have a keyboard or a touch screen. My guess is that Amazon will choose whichever is cheaper, although a touchscreen device would look cleaner. The K4 has to get below $100, perhaps significantly below (e.g. $75 with adds by next Christmas). I think they will keep the 3G option, although a $50 premium is untenable at these price points.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #54
naypalm
Enthusiast
naypalm began at the beginning.

Device: K3G v3.1 jb
Buttons or not, I will enjoy my free 3G where B&N Nook will have to use wifi or drive to the store to look at books.
naypalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #55
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Are you kidding. Yeah and that apple ipad tablet thingy will never sell either what with its shorter battery life and greater weight. ....I know that we already own Kindles but lets be honest. These new Nook and Kobo readers use a touch screen technology that does not obscure the readability of the screen, unlike the Sony. They use far faster processors than the Kindle and they scroll around pdfs smoothly. They are smaller than a k3 and have a definite "cool" factor. The Kindle has been getting some customer loyalty hits in how it handled DX upgrades and this certainly does not help its image. Ad driven kindles for a nominal discount is not going to build followers. In 2010, the less readable nook made huge market share gains selling color to its followers. These new devices, smaller, faster and more touchy, could further erode the kindle market share if Amazon does not rethink its product and support. Frankly, I think Amazon is aware of this, in part at least, and will have a new device out in the next few months. Amazon better hope that "ad driven" is not the best they have to offer in 2011.

Very well said. Most others in this thread are Kindle fanboys. Keep in mind, I own a Kindle, and a Sony PRS-350, and I can see the benefits of the new Nook as compared to my Kindle (smaller form factor, touch screen, longer battery life, SD card support, Epub support). Are those reasons sufficient? Come on, folks, let's get real.

The Kindle OWNS the ereader market, and that may continue well into the near future, however, let's be real here.
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #56
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Quote:
The Kindle OWNS the ereader market, and that may continue well into the near future, however, let's be real here.
Very true.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #57
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Not sure how Amazon will react, but I like the fact that everyone is stepping up their game.As much as I love my Kindle, I don't allow brand loyalty to keep me from acknowledging a job well done.

Competition is a great thing for the consumer.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #58
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
Very well put, and, for those of you who don't think that Amazon will react, you are fooling yourselves. A brand like Amazon or Apple doesn't dominate an entire market segment the way they do without making adjustments and "reacting" to the competition when the competition steps up their game.
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:59 AM   #59
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I see a lot of talk about the Nook, isn't there any love for the Kobo? I love the scrollbar at the bottom to flip through pages, and PDF panning looks... less painful.

EDIT: As for answering the topic, I'm guessing it is only a matter of time before Amazon comes out with a touch screen reader. Personally I'm hoping that it isn't beyond them to shamelessly copy some of the features seen in the Nook and Kobo (cough scrollbar cough cough)

Last edited by PharaohsVizier; 05-27-2011 at 01:05 AM.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #60
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I like the looks of the new Kobo! And the simple nook looks good too! I can say what I always see people writing about the kindle....I don't want to be tied to B&N for books! On the other hand, I rarely buy books from Amazon for my kindle. I prefer to buy non-DRM books. So I guess it would be the same thing for the other 2 readers....buy books from small publishers and send them to the device via wifi...but do the other devices convert for you? Can they read documents in txt, pdf, html, doc, docx, prc, mobi? Those would be determining factors for me. I would not buy books from B&N if I had a nook.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote