Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #1
jkeidan
jkeidan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Calibre 2.40 +mac = malware?

Hey, I just downloaded the new version of calibre and replaced the old, and now my mac is telling me it will damage my computer, so I can't open it.... Anyone got a fix for this? Help, please!
jkeidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeidan View Post
Hey, I just downloaded the new version of calibre and replaced the old, and now my mac is telling me it will damage my computer, so I can't open it.... Anyone got a fix for this? Help, please!
In what way is your Mac telling you that, at what stage of the install process? Exact error message, please. Was it just an unidentified developer message (which doesnot say "it will damage your computer", or something else?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
In addition to Meeera's comment

You DID go to the official Calibre site?

You did NOT use one of the Ad (download) buttons at the right

The real download is in the TOP-center, right near the OS Logo
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:14 AM   #4
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Check your System Prefs, Security and Privacy settings in the General tab.

Does your setting have "Allow apps downloaded from: Mac App Store"?

I had to change mine to be "Mac App Store and identified developers" otherwise I was getting a similar message. It's Apple's charming way of scaring people into to the Wall(et) Garden.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:57 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
Check your System Prefs, Security and Privacy settings in the General tab.

Does your setting have "Allow apps downloaded from: Mac App Store"?

I had to change mine to be "Mac App Store and identified developers" otherwise I was getting a similar message. It's Apple's charming way of scaring people into to the Wall(et) Garden.
I think Apple have done this very sensibly, actually: it's a doddle to override it, but you have to make a conscious action to do so. Trojans are probably the biggest malware risk (there are still very few of them, but they exist), and this way of doing things provides some protection.

But we don't know whether this is the OP's issue yet.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #6
sdow1
Connoisseur
sdow1 began at the beginning.

Device: nook, ipad
with the new Calibre 2.40 I'm now having the same issue/error message. It wouldn't recognize the update and I finally had to change my settings to "Anywhere" in order to get the program to verify/open/load (I had already previously had them set to "Mac App Store and identified developers").
sdow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #7
Silver Rains
Silver Rains began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm getting this too - It happens after I attempt to open it. Where before I would get a message saying something like, "this software comes from a 3rd party source are you sure you want to open it" (not exact wording but you get the idea) now it says, "calibre.app will damage your computer. You should move it to the Trash." You have the option of hitting 'cancel' or "Move to Trash" and that's it.

For the record, (regarding above comments) yes I downloaded from the official site and no I did not download from any ads.
Silver Rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:39 AM   #8
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
You could try changing your settings to "Anywhere" as discussed above, and then change them back once the app's running.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, mac, malware