Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Labib Rahman
Enthusiast
Labib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PSP and an age old Dell Inspiron 1150
Question Color E-ink and flexible display : The next-gen ebook readers

As I wait to get my refurbished PRS-505, I've been thinking about possible innovations in E-book reader technology. I've come up with two highly desirable features:

1. Flexible displays - this one is more or less already developed, but just isn't seen in any commercially available ereader. The arrival of flexible e-ink screens would open up the market to younger customers and schools, and to people holding off because they are afraid of breaking glass screens.

2. Color e-ink - This is the big one. Right now ebook readers exist in niche markets, with small exclusive clientele of people who read regularly. Color e-ink would open up the textbook market to the general market, replacing paper based magazines and newspapers to a large extent, and even textbooks in schools if the device is cheap and the government is willing to subsidise.

Those are two features I'm waiting for, what would you like to see in an e-book reader that isn't already there?
Labib Rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
good question

A color screen would be nice. But other than that I think my little ereader does its job really well.

Good user interface design is a must of course but beyond that I don't think that in general a ereader needs to be that complicated. If I was planning on emailing or texting someone I have a cell phone and desktop for those things.

I suppose a built in mp3 player would be nice so I could listen to music while I read.

So I guess my list would be:
1. mp3 player built in
2. good user interface design
3. color screen

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Touchscreen and at least 256 gray colours (more preferred).

I don't see a need for colour screens myself. I never read books with colour pictures in it now, why would that change? (and I'm reading on a colour screen...) And the textbook market has more profit by a tablet like device. You have more processor power and thus more possibilities.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'm fine with my Kindle for novel reading.

What I am interested in, as I've said many times, is some kind of 10" or larger color touch screen device that I can carry in place of a laptop/netbook and use for net surfing, movie watching etc., and also read and mark up PDFs with a stylus just like I can the printouts.

But I have no interest in another dedicated reader. The 6" readers serve my reading purpose outside of academic PDFs which I need to display as intended and mark up like printouts--and I don't need that latter feature enough to buy a dedicated device.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I'm fine with my Kindle for novel reading.

What I am interested in, as I've said many times, is some kind of 10" or larger color touch screen device that I can carry in place of a laptop/netbook and use for net surfing, movie watching etc., and also read and mark up PDFs with a stylus just like I can the printouts.
That lasts all day, has web browsing everywhere for cheap, has a webcam, can replace a cell phone, can work as a remote for full size TVs, has cloud computing.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
color display, ebook reader