Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #1
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
W3C Validator

Good morning, all. I was working with Sigil 0.9.10, and I noticed something new. I've often clicked on the stylesheet in the Book Browser window, sending it to W3C for a checkout. I'll get back to that here in a minute.

But today, as I went to run a report, I accidentally clicked on "Validate Stylesheets with W3C" instead, and I noticed that besides sending the stylesheet for verification, a second tab opened that showed me the verification status of the text area as well. (I'm happy to say that it came up clean!)

But I wonder if it would be more accurate to change the menu item to read "Validate e-book with W3C" instead.

Now, back to the verification of the stylesheet. Whenever using this function, it always comes back bellyachin' about the external fonts I have in my stylesheet, stating that "font-family" (and several aspects of the same vein) don't exist in level 2.1. But when I go to W3C's validation menu and resend the e-book from there, it re-checks it at level 3 and comes back clean. So I'm wondering--am I pushing my e-books (as I'm creating them) past acceptable limits by including embedded fonts--should I instead be creating level 3 books to accomplish what I'm looking for? Or would it be better for the menu item to instead send it for checking at level 3 (if that's driven from there)?

Thanks in advance!
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThought View Post
But today, as I went to run a report, I accidentally clicked on "Validate Stylesheets with W3C" instead, and I noticed that besides sending the stylesheet for verification, a second tab opened that showed me the verification status of the text area as well. (I'm happy to say that it came up clean!)
It opens a tab for each css file in your epub. "The Text Area" wording you're seeing on the W3C page does not mean it's checking the text of the file.

There's always been overlap between CSS 2.1 and 3.0 specs RE epubs. The preferences setting to choose which css level setting you want to use for validation was added so people could quiet those warnings if they wish. The problem is that not everything in CSS3 is valid in EPUB 2 (and not everything in CSS2/2.1 covers everything that's valid in EPUB2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThought View Post
Or would it be better for the menu item to instead send it for checking at level 3 (if that's driven from there)?
Judging by this response, I'm guessing you're unaware that you can choose which specification version you want the Validate Stylesheets feature to use when it send it to the W3C website. They're under Sigil's General Preferences tab. You can choose a different css spec versions for epub2 and epub3.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-21-2018 at 12:26 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #3
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Ah, that 'splains it. I do have a dummy css file that I use to keep notes in. As far as the setting, I'm'a set it next time I'm in Sigil. Thanks for the response!
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote