Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #31
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When was this added? I don't remember such when I registered.
That was 12 years ago, barely out of the stone age for forums.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:58 AM   #32
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Darn! Now they are crossing the limits! I just saw more than 4 pages full of spam!

Humble suggestion: Is it not technically possible to automatically reject the posts with non-English characters?
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2018, 06:17 AM   #33
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
If you wait long enough they'll get deleted.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #34
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Yes, I know the mods are already overburdened. I was just thinking a possibility of barricading the spammers.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Darn! Now they are crossing the limits! I just saw more than 4 pages full of spam!

Humble suggestion: Is it not technically possible to automatically reject the posts with non-English characters?
We've asked Alex. Fingers crossed.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #36
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Yes, I know the mods are already overburdened. I was just thinking a possibility of barricading the spammers.
Because of my work schedule and the spam schedule I tend to see the mess every day. I get up really early!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
We've asked Alex. Fingers crossed.
I hope there's something that can be done. It's annoying enough for us mere members. It must be beyond annoying for mods/ admins.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Because of my work schedule and the spam schedule I tend to see the mess every day. I get up really early!
At this point in time, I'm ignoring the General Discussions forum until this problem is resolved.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
At this point in time, I'm ignoring the General Discussions forum until this problem is resolved.
Oh how I wish I could do the same. Soooooo jealous.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #39
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
There is no need to have a special work schedule or get up early. All you need is to live in an appropriate time zone, like I do ;-).

I wish I could help our administrators somehow.

I genuinely thought that reporting the spam diligently makes their work easier - they would just click on my report and all the posts by that spammer would go poof. It was obviously a very naive view ;-).
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #40
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Too bad you can't temporarily "deputize" some non-mod regulars with only the ability to delete SPAM. I'd be willing to do so, and I'm sure there are other regulars who'd pitch in.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #41
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
There is no need to have a special work schedule or get up early. All you need is to live in an appropriate time zone, like I do ;-).

I wish I could help our administrators somehow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Too bad you can't temporarily "deputize" some non-mod regulars with only the ability to delete SPAM. I'd be willing to do so, and I'm sure there are other regulars who'd pitch in.
We appreciate it. We've discussed it and the real issue is that while a forum mod could delete spam, s/he couldn't ban a user which means the user would continue to post the spam until an editor banned it anyway. These are not "one and done" spammers, alas. It's a possibility, but what we really need is a permanent solution that will stop it at the source, or as close as possible.

We also appreciate everyone's patience as we try to work through this.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #42
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
What could the spammers be getting out of posting Asian-language spam on a primarily English-language forum? Usually (well, before this recent spate of junk) if I see spam on Mobileread or any other English-language forum, the spam is also in English and has a title like "get a great deal on an iphone" in order to entice people to click through to some other site. I expect that kind of spam probably draws at least a few clicks from the gullible so there's a reason the spammers keep doing it, but I can't imagine that posting Asian-language spam on Mobileread is getting clicks.

I do appreciate the work the moderators are doing to get rid of it.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:23 AM   #43
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
What could the spammers be getting out of posting Asian-language spam on a primarily English-language forum? Usually (well, before this recent spate of junk) if I see spam on Mobileread or any other English-language forum, the spam is also in English and has a title like "get a great deal on an iphone" in order to entice people to click through to some other site. I expect that kind of spam probably draws at least a few clicks from the gullible so there's a reason the spammers keep doing it, but I can't imagine that posting Asian-language spam on Mobileread is getting clicks.

I do appreciate the work the moderators are doing to get rid of it.
I appreciate your work too.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:31 AM   #44
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I don't really mind skipping ahead a few pages to get past the SPAM.

Still, I wonder what the world would be like if we could harness that energy for good!
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:16 AM   #45
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Still, I wonder what the world would be like if we could harness that energy for good!
Like charging our phones

Anyone know why it only hits General Discussion, or have any 'why is it so' theories?

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote