Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-05-2018, 04:16 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I was a bit irritated. I only reported it so that it wouldn't grow to multiple pages and then Paul decided to chastise me for it, and did it publicly. Isn't that what the PM option is for? To discuss such in private? I'm just saying.
Paul quite politely said "Please" and "Thank you" with his request, bracketing an explanation. There was no chastisement on his part.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:30 AM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Trust me: upon logging in, we're going to notice a page full of spam in the General Forum long before we see a Reported Post about it.

We appreciate MR members taking such a proactive role in spam prevention/cleanup, but when we specifically tell you that being overwhelmed with spam reports carries it's own problems (in addition to being overwhelmed with spam threads) we'd appreciate it if you'd believe us, and respect our wishes to not have massive spam in the General Forum reported.

No matter how many pages it grows to, it (a mass spam attack) will be quickly cleaned up as soon as the next Editor logs in--long before they get around to checking member reports. Having to read dozens and dozens of reported threads after that cleanup (to make sure something unrelated didn't slip through the cracks) is tedious and time-consuming.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-05-2018 at 07:40 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #18
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad Air 2, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura,KGlo
Thanks for the clarification! When I read "Please no longer report the mass spam in General Discussions", I thought that meant not to start a thread in the General Discussions forum about the spam, not to refrain from clicking "Report".
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You're welcome. And please feel free to report spam in other places (or even more subtle forms of spam in the General Forum). There's just no need to report any of the overt, massive spam attacks in General (and by overt, I mean subjects and and contents that are "walls" of Korean text interspersed with links). We notice those before we notice reports about those (if that makes sense).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:39 AM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Paul quite politely said "Please" and "Thank you" with his request, bracketing an explanation. There was no chastisement on his part.
Well it felt like public chastisement to me at the time. Remember all I can see is the text not the nuances of what he was saying. And I still stand on the point that he could have either 1) PM'd me about it or 2) written a general post rather than one that was specific in reply to my post via a quote. For that matter he could have both PM'd me in specific and written a general post. I'm not going to harp on the topic but I will always feel that it could have been handled a bit better.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2018, 04:07 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I will always feel that it could have been handled a bit better.
I'm sorry that I posted in a way that made you feel chastised.

Here's a link to the sticky thread in General Discussions about the recent spam attacks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:40 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell V8Pro; Asus Zenpad S8; Onyx Boox T68; Kobo Aura One
You mods just need a 24/7 pressence on the forum. Just skip sleep and work and only check for spam!

It's annoying, both for mods and for the normal users (mods are users too!). And I don't get it, it's not even in a language most people here would understand anyway!

(can't we have a filter: filter all non-western titles?)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:41 AM   #23
andyh2000
Guru
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact / Kindle 4 Black / Paperwhite / Onyx Max Carta
Oops - apologies for adding to the list of spam reports before seeing this. I shall ignore the obvious walls of spam for the foreseeable future.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:55 AM   #24
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Here's a link to the sticky thread in General Discussions about the recent spam attacks.

A few weeks ago I was going to start reporting spam in the General Discussions forum when I noticed the sticky post at the top of the thread. I read the sticky post and then just slowly backed away from the reporting feature.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:56 AM   #25
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 + iPad Air 2
Would it be possible to instate a thread creating limit, say 3 threads per 30 minutes or something similar? One could always increase this with postcount, so a user who has 100+ posts, can do 3 threads per 5 minute or something.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:24 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
There is no chance whatsoever of MobileRead having a captcha system for posts by members.
Not for posts. For joining. That way, the bots/scripts/etc. cannot automate joining and then spamming. I know it's been said that the spam is not automated, but I think differently and a captcha would keep out the spammers who use automation. Today's spam is a good example of why to have a captcha. There are some that are very easy and you don't hae to struggle to see or pick out pictures.

If I'm wrong, and the capcha isn't working, then it can go. But I see no harm in trying.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-12-2018 at 06:28 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:31 AM   #27
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

If I'm wrong, and the capcha isn't working, then it can go. But I see no harm in trying.
I agree. The amount of spam you see on this board if you happen to check in early (USA east coast time) is ridiculous!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not for posts. For joining. That way, the bots/scripts/etc. cannot automate joining and then spamming. I know it's been said that the spam is not automated, but I think differently and a captcha would keep out the spammers who use automation. Today's spam is a good example of why to have a captcha. There are some that are very easy and you don't hae to struggle to see or pick out pictures.

There is already a ReCaptcha in the registration form.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:14 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
There is already a ReCaptcha in the registration form.
When was this added? I don't remember such when I registered.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
When was this added? I don't remember such when I registered.
It's been there for a few years. I don't know exactly when it was added.