Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Unofficial Self-Contained Sigil Package/Installer for Linux

Unofficial Self-Contained Sigil Package/Installer for Linux

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goal: to provide a self-contained binary installer for Sigil that works on any Linux system with a libc version of 2.19 or higher. In the Ubuntu world, this would make 14.04 the minimum. Others should use "ldd --version" in a terminal to see if their libc version is sufficient.

** Please note that "self-contained" does not mean portable or relocatable!! **

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently at v0.9.9

Read/Download Latest Release (32- and 64-bit versions available)

For instructions on downloading/installing/uninstalling this self-contained version of Sigil for Linux, see the INSTALL.md document.

For instuctions on how to build the self-contained Linux package/installer yourself, see the BUILD.md document.

NOTE: Please do not report issues with this Sigil installer in the official Sigil issue tracker. Use this repository's issue tracker instead. Also, please limit discussion of the installer and the functionality of the version of Sigil it provides to this thread. This installer may or may not become an official part of Sigil at some point, but for right now ... it's separate.

Thanks for your cooperation, and I look forward to hearing mostly good news about this first attempt.

The fingerprint for my GPG public key follows in case you'd like to verify the gpg signatures attached to Github release page.

Code:
B5A5 6206 AB0F BC1A 24EF AB8A A166 D29A 8FCD AC63

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-27-2018 at 05:14 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please do read the install documentation provided first. It will save a lot of time and prevent the duplication of the basic questions/answers.

** NOTE: some people are reporting installer-script syntax errors when using various shells. Until I make some changes to make the shell-script more "portable," try explicitly using a bash shell to launch the installer.

Code:
bash ./Sigil-v0.9.8-Linux-x86.xz.run
Using the skiplibctest argument as described in the trouble-shooting section of the INSTALL documentation (if you're certain your libc is recent enough) may work around the issue as well.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-29-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Advert
Old 03-26-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Congratulations!!

This is a very old dream come true. Though I had already the 0.9.8. ArchLinux version (collector edition), I uninstalled it to try the installer as root after reading the documentation...

It installed very easily.

Spoiler:

Code:
[roger@anterg Téléchargements]$ sudo ./Sigil-v0.9.8-Linux-x86_64.xz.run
[sudo] Mot de passe de roger : 
Verifying archive integrity...  100%   All good.
Uncompressing Sigil Installer  100%  
Continue with the installation of Sigil to /opt/sigil? (rerun the installer WITHOUT root privileges to install Sigil to your home directory) [y/N] y

Copying files to /opt/sigil ...

Creating link(s) ...
'/usr/bin/sigil' -> '/opt/sigil/sigil.sh'

Creating desktop and icon entries ...
'./app_icon_48.png' -> '/usr/share/pixmaps/sigil.png'
'./sigil.desktop' -> '/usr/share/applications/sigil.desktop'

Sigil installation complete.

After that, I could launch it directly using the terminal. I did not see the icon in the menu but it did appear in "Office" after rebooting (Restarting Cinnamon session would have been enough, I guess).

I have still to write the link to my old plugins directory, and switch to French GUI and EPUB3.

It was built with Qt 5.6.2.

Again. A huge thanks!!!

Last edited by roger64; 03-26-2017 at 10:39 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:54 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Great.Thanks! If you link to your old preferences directory, you may have to recheck the "Use Bundled Python" box in the Plugin Manager. You can use your system python interpreter if you like, but the Bundled Python exactly mirrors that of the Windows and Mac installations. It has all the modules that Sigil needs already installed. That's the setting I recommend using.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Well, I tried again, I assume this is the correct way to pass the parameter.

xxxx@eris:~/Essentials$ ./Sigil-v0.9.8-Linux-x86_64.xz.run -- skiplibctest
Verifying archive integrity... 100% All good.
Uncompressing Sigil Installer 100%
./setup.sh: 3: ./setup.sh: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Same error.

I'm in no rush, I just thought I would try building a book with Linux instead of W7. Looking to the future.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

No dashes. Just a space and then the word skiplibctest.

./Sigil-v0.9.8-Linux-x86_64.xz.run skiplibctest
Old 03-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
When I attempt to install Sigil (XUbuntu 16.10) I get:
xxxx@eris:~/Essentials$ ./Sigil-v0.9.8-Linux-x86_64.xz.run
Verifying archive integrity... 100% All good.
Uncompressing Sigil Installer 100%
@grumbles: When I tested the installer on my Lubuntu netbook with sh as shell command, I also got the following error message:

Code:
lenovo@lenovo-Lenovo:~/Downloads$ sh ./Sigil-v0.9.8-Linux-x86.xz.run 
However, when I used bash as the shell command instead of sh everything went smoothly even without the skiplibctest parameter.

Code:
lenovo@lenovo-Lenovo:~/Downloads$ bash ./Sigil-v0.9.8-Linux-x86.xz.run 
Continue with the installation of Sigil to /home/lenovo/opt/sigil? (rerun the installer with root privileges to install Sigil system-wide) [y/N] Y

Copying files to /home/lenovo/opt/sigil ...

Creating link(s) ...
'/home/lenovo/bin/sigil' -> '/home/lenovo/opt/sigil/sigil.sh'

Creating desktop and icon entries ...
'./app_icon_48.png' -> '/home/lenovo/.icons/sigil.png'
'./sigil.desktop' -> '/home/lenovo/.local/share/applications/sigil.desktop'

Sigil installation complete.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:49 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks Doitsu. Good to know. I'll add some more trouble-shooting notices to the documentation that should help.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #9
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Explicitly call bash as in:

xxxx@eris:~/Essentials$ bash ./Sigil-v0.9.8-Linux-x86_64.xz.run

did the trick and all is good now. This is very strange since my shell is bash! Ah well, the piece of cod that passeth all understanding.

Thanks for the help.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:17 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Installed on OpenSuse Tumbleweed (x86_64) without any problems. Thanks!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:02 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Installed on OpenSuse Tumbleweed (x86_64) without any problems. Thanks!
That is very promising to hear. Thanks, indeed!
Old 04-09-2017, 11:17 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That is very promising to hear. Thanks, indeed!
I do have one minor issue. Sigil does not seem to have installed an icon so I ended up downloading one. Heck of a lot easier than any other time I've used Sigil with Linux.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-09-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:22 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I do have one minor issue. Sigil does not seem to have installed an icon so I ended up downloading one. Heck of a lot easier than any other time I've used Sigil with Linux.
It's certainly supposed to be installing an icon. If you install Sigil system-wide (/opt/sigil) the icon is installed to /usr/share/pixmaps. If installed to your home directory, the icon is installed to ~/.icons.

In my testing, this seemed to work on the widest variety of systems out-of-the-box. Where does your system pick up it's application icons from (or where did you put your downloaded one)?
Old 04-10-2017, 04:28 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's certainly supposed to be installing an icon. If you install Sigil system-wide (/opt/sigil) the icon is installed to /usr/share/pixmaps. If installed to your home directory, the icon is installed to ~/.icons.

In my testing, this seemed to work on the widest variety of systems out-of-the-box. Where does your system pick up it's application icons from (or where did you put your downloaded one)?
I checked and the icon is in ~/.icons and I can manually apply it from there. I downloaded the icon to ~/Downloads and used it from there. I removed Sigil and re-installed it system-wide and the icon was found.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I checked and the icon is in ~/.icons and I can manually apply it from there. I downloaded the icon to ~/Downloads and used it from there. I removed Sigil and re-installed it system-wide and the icon was found.
Good to know. Thanks. The ~/.icons location may not be universally searched by all flavors' xdg implementation. I thought I explicitly put the full path to the icon in the desktop file (for a user directory installation), but perhaps I did something wrong.

Thanks for the feedback.